What do you think of faux binding?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ppg677, May 22, 2019.

1. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

I use separate wood binding on most of my guitars - the exception is when I build a clone of some classic Gibson guitar, in which case I'll use plastic. My problem with the faux binding is that I can't control the way stain is absorbed into the wood - if you look at several of those faux binding examples you'll see a fuzzy little line at the interface. Apparently PRS's technique is to mask the side of the top to create the side "binding" and to somehow scrape or sand the top just enough to remove the stain and create the edge. I haven't tried it, I'm happy doing it as a separate piece of wood

Binding is often functional - it protects the soft end grain, particularly spruce on acoustic guitars. Its also decorative and gives the builder a chance to show off a bit.

IMG_5277.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_3577.JPG

IMG_4421.JPG

Even plastic binding can be interesting

IMG_2117.JPG

2. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Faux binding is not hard with a basic process. The key is not letting dye get on your side as it will soak in deeper than can be removed.

I seal my sides before dying the top. I then apply pinstripe tape to the side where the binding will be. If you wipe on don't slop dye on. Use light thin coats that dry quickly. If I am spraying on dye I will mist a light clear coat on first to seal the tape edge.

Once the dye is on, remove your pinstripe and lightly raizer any bleed thru off your sealer. I like to spray a light coat of clear again to the top to seal in the dye before adding the smallllll chamfer the top with a trim router. Then clear clear clear!

Eric

3. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I've only done it once and did the same method as Eric. It was fairly easy and turned out really nice. I used a utility blade to clean up the edges and that worked perfectly.

4. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

Awe man don't give up do a google search for Binding Scraper.

5. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I did it on a LP that was clearly missing binding:
    [​IMG]

eallen, ejphotos and SecretSquirrel like this.
  6. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

I like binding. I was gonna do a faux/natural binding on my Tele but ended up not.

7. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

If I remember, I mixed some silver black dye and wiped that on, sanded back and added the blue.
    I only had a small section that had a little bleed through of the blue to the edge.

8. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I really like faux/reveal binding, when it’s done well. That’s always been one of my favorite features on PRS guitars. Gorgeous

bullfrogblues likes this.
  9. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

i'm a big binding fan too. real or not. but i do like the comfort cuts on the backs

10. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

Scraping Binding on an ES-355 Build

Scraping for sharp looking binding: here's how it's done!

11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

Plastic binding on traditional Gibson guitar are a piece of cake to deal with compared with either wood or faux wood binding. I tape the sides with 1/4 inch pin striping tape but it seems like some finish always bleeds under the tape. Simple matter to scrape back with a box cutter blade

IMG_3372.JPG

Then the f-holes get scraped back, clear coated and the inside tape pulled

IMG_3393.JPG

A little final clean up and time to wire it

IMG_3395.JPG

Captain Nutslot and Luthi3rz like this.
  12. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

My tastes are similar, never liked plastic binding. Though I love faux binding.

It's interesting to see people doing it by sanding. I've assumed it was always done by masking.

13. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

You won't get a clean edge once it has soaked into the grain without sanding off the wood the depth the dye has penetrated, which can be surprisingly deep at times. I remember that very mistake on my 1st faux years ago. That is when I went to sealing before adding dye when doing faux. It is also easier to control dye penetration spraying it on as it tends to be thin enough to dry rapidly.

Every time something doesn't turn out is a learning experience for the next one that will. Some of my coolest finishes have been born out of adjusting from a mishap.

Eric

14. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

I decided to go a different direction. Will attempt a faux/natural binding next time. Thanks for all the ideas.

I glued the neck last night.

Next is sealing/lacquer.
    IMG_20190525_101040.jpg

IMG_20190525_101033.jpg

eallen, Asmith and bullfrogblues like this.
  15. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.