what do you think about Tube Screamer

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by chemobrain, Nov 27, 2018.

1. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

I’m a SD-1 fan, if that counts (and I think it’s close enough to be in the general TS style group). Love using mine into other dirt, whether that’s hitting an already breaking up amp or another dirt pedal. Had great tones result from running an SD-1 into Big Muffs, OD250s or Rats. Someday I may pick up the standard TS-9, but for now I’m very satisfied using my SD-1 in the ways just outlined.

2. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Yep. I got the DX as well. Just seems to have a broader tonal range than the TS9 - but I'm no expert.

schmee likes this.
  3. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I have the TS Mini and I think its about as good as any OD I've tried, and I've tried a bunch... My alternate, depending on the guitar or amp, is the EHX LPB1. Both cheap!

4. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

just my 2 cents and is probably worth half a cent but... love me some ts. there is a reason there are literally hundreds of clones - it's just great.
    i've owned many variations on the ts from ibanez master series to ts808 to sd1 to many others... I've modded many of these to other specs... I've built a hundred variations, from the ground up, based on inet schems of the fulltone, keeley, cjod, ltod, son-of-screamer... etc etc.

what is best? it's hard to say when all have sounded pretty good to me.

the s-o-s is really transparent w/o front and back buffers... but id does not play well with others.
    the keeley/fulltone are better for bluesy (afa changes to gain freq response) but then the original is better if you are using it to put in front of a marshal for high gain imo.

one common theme among all that I like is changing the clippers for leds. cleans it up quite a bit and brings it closer into a really dirty boost (landgraff style).

I also like soft fet clippers (credit fulltone - I think this is the first place I saw this but others may have done it before).
    long story short - I just don't think you can go wrong with any ts clone, but some will yield better results in specific situations than others. you really gotta catch 'em all!

5. hoboroadie

hoboroadie TDPRI Member

YATS FTW!
    I haven't finished with my wah collection so I didn't really start on Tube Screamers yet. Thinking almost TS type, and I like my current tone with three amps out of an Ashly crossover. Top end is a Lovepedal Eternity into a Goodmans Midax, mids are a Boss OD-1 into two old Celestions, and the bottom is a Boss SD-1 into a couple old JBLs.
    Bottom line, plan to get more than one. ;)

6. luckett

luckett Banned

We've now reached the point in the tube screamer thread where someone has called them transparent.

7. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

I had a mini for a while. Dug it a lot. Mid push just works in a band setting- that's your frequency, take advantage.

But now I'm splitting time between a Timmy, a Catalinbread Formula 5F6, and a BYOC Crown Jewel (which can certainly do the TS thing). Honestly, in the heat of battle, anything lowish gain works pretty well for me.

I'm really loving my Rangemaster Treble boost clone lately. Weird how tones that sound totally thin and weenieish by themselves work great with a band. If you've got a bass player, you don't need much low end...

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  8. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Ha. 15 posts until "tonewood".

9. john_t

john_t Tele-Meister

[...adds the TS mini to Amazon cart for $79.99...]

bluesholyman likes this.
  10. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I use an SD1 in the same manner as Ottocorrect. Also, with certain amps and guitar combinations sometimes a strong, dirty mid boost is just what the doctor ordered.
    But most of the time I can get a great range of dirt level and tones using SD1 into OD3 in various combinations. I used to have a TS9 and I did the standard mod
    of removing a resistor (or was it two?) and then it sounded a little bit less muffled.

One of the things I was wondering about is why it isn't standard for all dirt pedals to basically have a circuit that very transparently boosts the signal, then splits it,
    allowing you to use a mix or blend knob to adjust how much dirt signal you want vs. how much clean, bypassed signal. I know there are some pedals that come with
    this feature. For example, Ego Compressor allows the user to blend a clean bypassed signal with compressed signal. Delays usually have a knob that lets you
    control the wet/dry signal ratio. But I was thinking recently that if history had been different, all players would have pretty much expected and insisted that all effects pedals
    including dirt pedals come with a blend knob, just as we generally expect them to come with a volume and at least one tone knob. When you think about the issues that
    players typically have with their dirt pedals, in many cases a very simple solution that could cure a lot of ills would be the ability to blend in some dry, bypassed signal.

thegeezer, JustABluesGuy and ndcaster like this.
  11. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

I also took a look at the article in the OP. What in the world is a Nobels ODR-1 and a Boss BD-2w doing in a “best Tube Screamers” list????

12. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

32 posts before Bad Monkey?
    Really, you could stop there and have no regrets.

13. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Afflicted

I have never got along with the tube screamer. Everyone acts like it is the greatest pedal ever, but I just dont get it.

Bill likes this.
  14. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Put me in the "don't get it" camp. I know lots of guys sound great with TS pedals, but I'm not one of them.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  15. harleytech

harleytech TDPRI Member

Never used them or really thought about using them...

16. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

TS-10 here, great in a bar fight

17. havlma1

havlma1 TDPRI Member

It depends on your guitar and amplifier which OD sounds good. I like SD-1, have also BD-2 both in Waza version, Ibanez TS Mini, but I recently bought again Ibanez TS9 after I sold one, because it sounds the best with my current rig. I used to have Maxon OD9 too and as it was not affecting my signal when off, it didn't have the spirit as Ibanez one. I think the fact Ibanez TS9 steals bit of heights contributed to its good sound. I had to buy it again :). However I know if I change the amp or guitar's pickups, it may be needed to pick a different OD. I must also say I use it more like "coloring" pedal, not a pure signal boost. To sum it up, I love Ibanez TS-9.

18. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Long-time Tube Screamer user and enthusiast here.

No, I don't think it's the greatest pedal ever in the history of ever...but Dang close, for my purposes.

No, it doesn't fit everybody's style/technique/desired tone...as evidenced that many people clicked on this thread just to post their opinion that it "doesn't work for me" or "it's not as great as people make it out to be" or "my ________ pedal does it better" or just "meh."
    That's OK, I use some stuff that most people don't/wouldn't and I hate some stuff that a lot of people hold dear.

I've used various iterations of Tube Screamers over the years and will continue to do so.

Currently a TS-9RI resides on my board and a TS-808RI sits in the "Reserve Drawer," ready and primed for action.

19. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

A TS-9 was a good fit for my '68 Deluxe Reverb ( and unlike many, I actually ran the Drive/ Gain at about half- I liked the grind and sustain created by the pedal).
    But needed to sell the amp ( $$, damn!!)

For my old Blues Jr. ( 1999) which is a darker/ more mid-rangey amp than a newer BJ, an ' always ON' BD-2 Blues Driver ( the Tone control at NOON just wakes my amp up) has been almost perfect ( for me), many years now.

20. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I've had a TS pedal of some type on my board since the 80s, and it's on most of the time. My current one is a Hardwire Tube Overdrive, but if it wasn't that, it would be something similar. I've also got a TS7 on my board (set to 'Hot') and a TS mini that may get to the main board sometime. SD-1s are fine too.

I try not to stress about these things to much... its a Tube Screamer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.