What do you remember the most about your first new guitar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by AxRookie, Jul 31, 2019.

1. AxRookie

AxRookie Tele-Meister

For me, it was something you wouldn't think would be something synonymous with a musical instrument, The smell of it, In 1981 I had made the last payment on a new Fender Stratocaster which was a black body, white pickguard, maple neck guitar with a hard case, And I took it home for the first time and I opened the case I can still distinctly remember it sort of had a unique "new car" smell that I can't even describe but I can still remember it like it was yesterday! It's funny how the mind works and how complex and how deep it goes to form a very vivid long term memory that I doubt I will ever forget...

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I remember that it was a single cutaway, and had an arrowhead headstock, and that it was white with a black pick guard. That's all I remember. I don't even remember the brand.

3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

My first guitar was a Fender acoustic.
    Bought brand new on March 17th 1992.
    St Patrick's day was a coincidence.

I remember the smell was fantastic.
    I used to hold the sound hole up to my nose and smell it every time I took it out of the case.

Like a dog saying hello.

Straydogger and Fendereedo like this.
  4. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I just remember how shiny it was... none of them are now.

Stringbanger likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

My Duo Sonic and Brown Deluxe. I remember playing the amp vibrato over and over with the 3 chords I knew!

Random1643 and Fendereedo like this.
  6. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Mu first guitar was a squier. I remember the strap mot keeping it on me very well.

My first new guitar I bought was an esp v100. I remember loving the action and the depth of the paint, but not loving how wide the fretboard was.

My first hard shell guitar case I bought new had a very specific smell to it. And still does. Takes me back 16 years to using it to take my portable cd player and some CDs with me everywhere.

7. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

I'd say smell, too.

8trackmind and brookdalebill like this.
  8. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

I guess I just remember how heavy it was, and how I was a little disappointed in the pickups due to microphonic squeal. I'd had several guitars before, but the first brand new one was an Ibanez MC-200 Musician.

dannew02 likes this.
  9. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

callouses

Random1643 and Straydogger like this.
  10. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

That it was a classical acoustic (albeit a decent one) and I was a 12 year old in the dawn of hair metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Meister

It was a 1983 Sigma. To me it was a new Martin. Still have it, but it's not a Martin to me now. Ha.

12. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Red Kent Strat knock-off that I bought from my grandpa’s/uncle’s junk stores (one of ‘em ... next door to each other) ... don’t remember cost, as this was 46 years ago ... P-O-FREAKING-S, but the cheese slicers on my fingers made me a stronger player ... eventually ...

Technically, my first guitar was my dad’s Kalamazoo acoustic I started playing when I was six ... he’s long gone, but it still plays ...

Random1643 likes this.
  13. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

My first new guitar was a cheap nylon string bought in Tijuana, which I remember nothing about. My first new one that I remember was my '65 Daphne Blue Mustang that I got for Christmas that year, along with a BF Vibro Champ! That cool blue color, and pearl pickguard, chrome, slanted pickups with the slide switches, wiggle stick, awesome Fender headstock, and silver hard case with orange interior were gorgeous to an 11 yr. old budding rocker! Since then I've become averse to pearl pickguards, preferring something less gaudy, although I tolerate it on my Sonic Blue Deluxe Roadhouse with Texas Specials, 'cause I'm too lazy to change it.

14. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

First New Guitar, was a 1996 Martin D-35, and it’s a keeper.

Backstory: I met a gal and fell in love. (She eventually became my wife). She said that I needed to get out of my credit card debt, which was around 2500.00 USD. She knew I had an extensive baseball card collection, and encouraged me to sell it. I balked, thinking that I love those cards, and I would never give them up. I had quite a few Diamond Stars, Goudey, many Topps from my childhood, including an almost complete set from 1960. No way! But, she kept nudging me, and I started to think: they are not that useful except to look at them, and then put them away. Then one day sell them for a profit? I found a buyer, who was a guy I played softball with, and he said to come up with a price. I studied the book value of every card, and came up with 10,000.00. So, I told him 7,500.00 and he offered 5,000.00. After some tough deliberation, I accepted. One of the hardest decisions in my life.

Anyway, I paid off the credit card debt, and I still had 2500.00 left. She said, “why don’t you get yourself a nice guitar.”
    I priced the Martins in my area, and they were going for 2400.00. I contacted Chuck Levin’s Washington Music Center and they wanted 1800.00, so we made the trip to Maryland. Now I have something I can put to good use instead of a bunch of stinky old baseball cards.:D

DE9425F3-EAA9-4EE6-A1E3-90EFB4758D72.jpeg

Toast, Ricky D., Steve 78 and 3 others like this.
  15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

For the acoustic, the smooth mirror glossiness of the finish. Epiphone bolt neck dread , christmas-gifted to me sometime around maybe 1978 or so
    For the electric, smell here, too. Squier Bullet strat, from around 1986

16. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

A red Teisco 335 style, what I remember was how bright the red was.
    Several guitar players ( uncles) who had nice guitars all remarked how nice it was, especially for $39.95 at Uncle Miltie’s pawn shop.
    Circa 1965 I didn’t have an amp.

17. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My Takamine looked like a Martin, I could see that, and never having played a Martin I had no reason not to believe people when they told me it sounded just as good, and the price was 'way less. I remember the one lesson I took the day after I bought it. It might have all been different if I'd looked at a Gibson or a Martin back then.

Stringbanger likes this.
  18. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Carvin LB-50 bass in spring of 1983. In those days, there were few, if any, in-stock instruments from Carvin. Everything was built to order. I remember how nicely the neck fit my hand, the feel of the ebony fingerboard, and how low & buzz-free the action was. Most people think it has active innards, but it doesn't. The pups are just that powerful.

DekeDog and Dismalhead like this.
  19. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Mine was an '84 Gibson SG Silver Sky. It was a work of art, the color was a very whitish silver that reflected whatever colors you were standing around (very cool when you had different colored spotlights). I ruined it by putting a Kahler tremolo on it, probably six months after I got it (it was the '80s). The trem shattered the finish like a windshield into tiny little squares. It's been refinished three times since. I'm about to do it again, and do it right this time. It's gonna be Pelham Blue now.

Here's a Flying V Silver Sky from the same era (not mine). The finish has yellowed a bit over the years.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    dannew02 and Stringbanger like this.
  20. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My first guitar was a '72-'73ish Gibson SG Special, when they started making them again with black plastic mini-humbuckers that had pole screws.

My main memory was the whacked finish. It was the transparent Cherry finish, but the front of the guitar was bleached out to clear from hanging on a music store wall facing the Western sun for a year or two.

nocastermike likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.