What do you record yourself with?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Leland105, May 27, 2010.

1. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I bit the bullet and entered the computer age about a year ago. Logic lite (Express is what they call it) on an Imac. The interface is either an Mbox or Echo audio depending on whether I intend the tracks to be keepers and drag the computer down to where the amps live.

Lotsa fun toys left over from earlier days when I used to do this more often. Mics, comps, verbs, delays, pres, etc. Still trying to sort out the headaches involved in getting the new computer world and the old analog world to play nicely together (particularly for mix).

The old ADAT is in a corner looking grumpy.

Cheers,
    Geoff

2. Sixwire

Sixwire Tele-Meister

Recording equipment

I use the Line 6 Tone Port UX2 for a capture device. It works great for two inputs. Lots of good effects with the software. For recording multitrack, I use Sony Acid Studio. Works simple and has plenty of tools. Great for $70.00. If you spend a little time with this combo, you can turn some impressive recordings. Mine works a lot of hours every week on my laptop. Get some decent monitors and headphones. I do use a small 6 channel mixer as a pre-amp for some instruments and mics with low output. My music friends almost live in my (used to be pole barn) now really nice music room and home studio.

3. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

I run Pro Tools and Garageband on a Mac Mini. Most of what I do is strictly demo quality (with exceptions).

4. Higgs F. Boson

Higgs F. Boson Tele-Holic

iMac with Logic Express. I was a Garageband addict for about 5 years and Logic is a "logical" (ha ha) progression from GB.

5. voodoostation

voodoostation Friend of Leo's

Trepidation.

6. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Another thumbs-up for Reaper - I tried Cubase LE for a while (came bundled with a Zoom recorder I got), but Reaper runs much more stable on my computer, and has lots of little details that make it more useful (like the whole effects routing part).

7. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's

What's in between the guitar and the iMac?

8. voodoostation

voodoostation Friend of Leo's

Using an 8 channel Behringer into an E-mu 0404, with Kristal Audio Engine as my DAW, Wavosaur and Audacity for my editors and a couple handfuls of free VST's.

9. born2tele

born2tele TDPRI Member

I use the Zoom H4 as a soundcard into my laptop and I'm
    using Cool Edit 2 as recording software. Works ok I think.
    Here's what I did with a martin, a banjo and my tele yesterday:
    www.myspace.com/jacktheghostmusic

10. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

I have had Sonar since it was Cakewalk. I use a little Line6 TonePort interface, I disable all the gimmicks, I don't need no amp and FX emulation when I've got a perfectly good amp and better FX. I use an attenuator from the speaker as an emulated line level to the TonePort, not a mic, except acoustic/vocals. I usually record into the laptop but will transfer to the PC for processing at the desk.

CoolEdit will run within Sonar for tricky edit stuff, but it is obsolete and Adobe have put a real stupid sting on the price of its replacement.

Trouble is, by the time you've got it set up to go, you've forgotten what you were going to do. Tascam Porta07 = push the button and go, but only for 10 minutes...

11. Anchoret

Anchoret Friend of Leo's

This, with Reaper:

[​IMG]

The Lexicon replaced a much fancier and problematic Oberheim/SeaSound unit [spit!].

12. Anchoret

Anchoret Friend of Leo's

And it fills up my entire studio to the point I can't move. :(

13. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Hahahahaha! I hear ya, bro!

14. toddoutloud

toddoutloud TDPRI Member

A beat to **** Sennheiser from the 70s that I use to mic the back of my amp (works great for vocals too), a SM57 for the front of the amp, a Beta 58 for most vocals, an AKG condenser for a room mic, and a Green Bullet for ****s and giggles. All this runs through a 8-channel Mackie mixer into my iMac G5's line in port. From there I use either Garage Band or Audacity. I use Audacity for almost everything I record except when I need a rhythm track, then I use Garage Band.

15. cwcowell

cwcowell Tele-Meister

Line 6 TonePort GX + Reaper + Line 6 POD Farm plugin

Astonishing bang-for-the-buck. Actually, astonishing quality regardless of price. And it works on Mac or PC.

16. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Sonar software, by Cakewalk (Roland). Very reliable.

For hardware, I use an Edirol USB 2 interface into a homebrew computer -- nothing fancy.

The word "instead" makes me nervous. I find with any music gear, it's not an either/or proposition, or a situation of throwing everything else away, after an "upgrade." Instead, gear normally becomes complementary. Sometimes the best tool for the job would be a laptop; other times, the standalone Tascam would make more sense. Paint yourself into a corner, you don't have choices any more.

17. jimbojo

jimbojo Tele-Meister

Yamaha AWG 16 digital recorder, Shure SM 57 for the Peavey Classic 30 or a Digitech Genesis 3 processor for stereo and other sounds, Cheap Dean Bass into the Hi-Z direct, AWG's sample pads for drum loops or an old DR550 MKII Dr Rhythm drum machine. I also have an old Tascam (tape) 4 track porta studio 414MKII, that I would like to mike a drum set with, I have read that analog recording of drums can be really cool, I have a drum set at the house just need a decent set of drum mic's.

18. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Meister

Tascam US122L as my interface, came with CubaseLE although I upgraded it later. PC has a quadcore which I think helps a lot.

19. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was the same when I got my Zoom a few years ago. Overwhelmed with the features, and after I finally programmed on bass/drum track and got a song recorded, I just stuck it in a drawer. But I pulled it out later and just learned to use the basics on it, and now love using it just to record tracks, then edit in Audacity. 80% of the features it has, I don't use. Don't even use it's sims now. Just record from the headphone jack of my amp.

20. joyster

joyster Tele-Meister

Guitar - Line 6 UX1 - MacBook Pro - Gearbox - Reaper - UX1 - Monitors

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.