What do you pros do?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by HotRodSteve, Aug 17, 2019.

1. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Just out of curiosity since I'm an amateur guitarist and my bedroom amp just had a tube problem, what do you pros do when your gig tube amp craps out?

Greggorios likes this.
  2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Not a pro, but when I was gigging I always brought my little Fender Super Champ as a spare, figuring I could mic it in a pinch. Never had to use it, but it gave me peace of mind. It wasn't just for me; I figured it would work for other guitarists in the band too.

Skydog1010 and Greggorios like this.
  3. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I always have a spare amp so if any of the guitar or harp amps go down I have a spare. We have only had to use it a few times in over 500 gigs. The Bass would have to run through the PA if it goes down.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  4. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

spare amp. don't leave home without it

5. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Not a pro but played once or twice a month for 15 years. I think I had amp problems 1 or 2 times. I borrowed an amp off one of the other bands. If I was a pro I'd have a backup amp.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  6. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Meister

These days many guitarists bring Pods or Tech21 flyrig type units that can go direct into the house sound system or your band’s own pa if you are playing self contained. If you are a local pro flying to gigs you don’t often fly your personal amp too, it gets expensive. You depend on the venue to have amps available or call ahead and rent one in the town you are going to. If your direct into pa sound is better than the amps they provide you can use it instead and save the headache of using an amp you don’t trust to get your sound out of.

Rich724 and Dismalhead like this.
  7. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

I bring a Quilter Pro Block amp as a backup.

Rich724 likes this.
  8. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I bring an amp sim pedal as a backup.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This!
    I also carry a spare amp.
    I have a spare guitar amp, bass amp, acoustic amp and small PA in my car.
    I don’t want any form of equipment failure to interfere with the completion of my gigs.

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Spare tubes, and a pedal that can go direct to the board. Can't recall I've had an amp failure on the job.

11. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Here's my rule of thumb:

amp troubleshooting flow chart.PNG

12. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

I've played long enough to have a few amps lying around AND I have been hovering between tube amps and modelers since the early 2000s, so there are a lot of options. However, the last time one of my tube amps croaked was also the first time it had happened in my forty-nine years of playing, and I have begun to understand that this is something of an anomaly. Well, I'd always taken pretty good care of my amps. In this case I took it right down to the best tech in town and had it repaired. The ticket came to $124.50 including a matched pair of JJ EL-34s and the caps and resistors that burned. I was back in business in about four days. More HERE.

[​IMG]

Bob

13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm not a Pro, but I have a friend who is a valve/SS tech.

Any gear failure goes over to him... and I use another amp....:)

14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I have spare tubes and old band member had crate power block kept on truck. I just ordered a quilter mini amp pedal. We will see. Micro block. Ps not pro though ..

15. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

When my Bassman stopped making noise and being a nightlight, I unplugged it, put a new fuse in, resumed life.

My 75 has never stopped, just sounded strange and got redialed/positioned.

My Supro is single ended cathode bias, so if I started gigging it, I'd keep 1 6L6 and a preamp tube handy.

Gigging within 20 minutes of home=can break. Further out = pack 2 amps.

16. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

I have a multi-effect that also has amp models if needed, if that fails then its an acoustic show. More of a worry about PA stuff. With everything powered there are no more barnyard repairs. I do carry a small mackie board just in case.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  17. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

If the power goes out, the band that brought resonators, upright basses, and brushes for the drummer is the band that keeps playing

;)

stevemc likes this.
  18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Not a pro but play live a few times a year in pubs. I carry a PRRI ( tubes) and a Boss Katana- which I usually use. Many guys who are pros use Roland cubes so two amps might be the answer if money allows. Also helps when the other guitarist and best mate was an aeronautics technician on airplanes, so he fixes anything for free.:)

19. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I'll admit I'm not as much as an expert as many online but I've never seen any pro using a Roland Cube or Boss Katana live.

I also have never brought a spare map to a gig on a local level. Sure, there's always a chance something will go wrong but if you're using something that works well at home it's going to work fine a mile or two away. There's really not that much difference. Bring a power conditioner is prob not a bad idea, sometimes I do/sometimes I don't. Just remember everything you bring you have to unload.

I think I had one problem one time in 1991 where my Vibrolux got overheated and stopped working then it came back. Other than that I can knock on wood.

Here's what I used on my last local thing. I also brought one guitar with an extra set of strings in its case.

[​IMG]

When someone else is actually moving my stuff and it's a real big thing I use this. The bottom head gets swapped out all the time. The SLO has never failed in over 20 years (which scares me it's been that long). I swap out the bottom one all the time just for fun.

[​IMG]

20. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

noah330 that could be because your amps are cheap compared to Oz. You guys in the US are lucky.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.