1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What do you play on your guitar(s)?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jerry_Mountains, Oct 27, 2020.

1. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Holic

Mostly 80s metal.

Urshurak776 likes this.
  2. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I meander. I'll pick up on a thing and pursue it for a few weeks and then stumble across something different.
    Currently it's expanding my slide vocabulary, adding more sweet/country and traditional melodies to my blues based stuff. I wish I was disciplined, and could take some real lessons - but I'm set in my ways I guess and just pick up and play a National Model O

I will admit to also playing my Tele a lot lately too (with some breakup/crunch and stereo) and doing my usual half bluegrass half blues half hard rock experimentation crap.

Digital Larry likes this.
  3. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

Smoke on the water and stairway. That's it. Everything else is just noise. I have at least 10 grand in gear to prove it. So HA!

4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Stuff I want to do live. Stuff I am writing. Lately melodic minor lines in solos over backing tracks.

Jerry_Mountains and SRHmusic like this.
  5. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

Pop, Rock, Blues, some simple Jazz once in a while, blues and singer songwriting stuff me singing songs accompanying myself with an acoustic simulator. I am thinking of buying a good western guitar or parlor guitar again for that purpose but it is hard to find one with jumbo frets.

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  6. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

If I don't use it, I lose it. I have about ten or fifteen songs that I regularly play, mainly so I don't forget them. I noodle a lot, and I use the speakers plugged into my Echo device to accompany songs on Amazon Music. Those songs are mostly by the likes of Gary Moore, Mark Knopfler, Miles Davis, Grant Green, Roy Buchanan, John Mayall, etc.

7. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Hey, this is cool. How do you go from G7 to F7? A whole step from F of G7 to Eb of F7?

8. pypa

pypa Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I am right there with you. Currently I am working on more soloing. It's so darn intimidating. I've tried that CAGED system a million times, and modes and I just can't seem to get it to work in real time. I have to think too much.

I follow Desi Serna's podcast which is fantastic. He counsels to learn songs. He's good about presenting an accessible classic rock song and explaining the theory. So, now, I have an easier time figuring out WHAT to play, but then you have to go on You tube to figure out HOW to play it.

I would say pick a song and learn it. It provides focus. If we were all 16 year olds with 8 hours a day to spend in our rooms, we might do well to learn all our modes and scales and do drills. But at my age (50) I'm moving on to (finally) playing songs.

I also like some of the old jazz standards. These are a fun antidote to rock because they are often less demanding on solos, and more demanding on chords.

9. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

Right now mainly working on instrumental stuff for my guitar lesson. Nervous Breakdown, The Entertainer, Classical Gas, etc. Aside from that, working on my lead skills.

drmordo likes this.
  10. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I don't often play songs by other people, but if I get a hankering, I don't worry about it. One such recently is the Police's "Spirits in the Material World". Or Nat Adderly "Work Song". I have a handful of Celtic/Bluegrass fiddle tunes I've played for years, e.g. "Saint Anne's Reel", "Under the Double Eagle", "Whiskey Before Breakfast", etc.

Beyond that I sometimes study things, e.g. blues or country licks/progressions/patterns from some books I have or YouTube videos. I'm very likely to obsess on a single riff and try to make a song out of it.

I also put riffs or short progressions into my Infinity Looper and practice melodies/bass lines/solos on those. Sometimes those will make the jump over to Ableton Live where I struggle for months or more to build up a song or tune with multiple parts. What I'd like to do is not worry so much about making things complicated and finish some shorter things in the 1-2 minute range. Every now and then that happens.

I've noticed in the past few years I somewhat fizzle out in the fall (think I have the seasonal affective disorder) and snap back to creative (but unfocussed) overdrive in the spring.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    SRHmusic likes this.
  11. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

For me....
    I don't fancy myself as good lead player although I have plunked out some leads on a few of my originals sans any impressive fret board gymnastics.

I much prefer playing rhythm so if I'm not working on a rhythm track for an original tune I go through my practice play-along set list.
    I've had arthritis giving my some grief over the years but I can still get through my list respectably....with breaks about every 6 songs.
    I'm just an old bird now and trying to keep my rhythm chops up.
    I have uploaded many of these to youtube should anyone be interested in how I play them and want to give them a try.
    EDIT: all these are in Sonar X3 so I push the play button and get through as many I can before my fingers threaten to seize up. :)

Here's my list:
    01_Stormy Monday_Allman Brothers (Easy one but so slow it can put one to sleep)
    02_The Girl From Ipanema (not my writing style but makes the fingers work)
    03_Moondance_Van Morrison (Easy one but I don't play this one as much anymore)
    04_Pretzel Logic_Steely Dan
    05_Slow Turnin_John Hiatt
    06_Another Park, Another Sunday_Doobie Brothers
    07_Prime Time_Alan Parsons
    08_Love The One You're With_Steve Stills
    09_Rikki don't lose that number_Steely Dan
    10_Long Train Runnin_Doobie Brothers
    11_Black Friday_Steely Dan
    12_Roll With The Changes_REO Speedwagon (Truly an exercise in endurance)
    13_Only a Fool Would Say That_Steely Dan
    14_You're Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned_Alan Parsons
    15_Kid Charlemagne_Steely Dan
    16_Tequila Sunrise_Eagles
    17_Listen to the Music
    18_Traveling Man_Ricky Nelson (new addition)
    19_Brandy (another recent one and it's fun to play to)
    20_Ain't That Peculliar_Marvin Gaye (another one I really enjoy)

Have a great day....

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    SRHmusic likes this.
  12. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Why?

I find it much more enjoyable to play on a good guitar than a cheap guitar. If you can afford quality, why not?

13. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Afflicted

What do you play on your guitar(s)? Songs

14. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

You should probly ask this in the theory section. I think his point is that the two most important notes in a chord are the 3 and the 7, so he plays around them when transitioning between chords.

The 7th of G7 is F, and the 3rd of F7 is A. Off the top of my head, if I was deliberately transitioning using the F and A from those chords, I would play a walkdown like like F-E-D-C-B-A, then riff off the F7 using the Bebop Scale.

You could also go the other way, moving up - F-G-A-B-A, landing on the second A in time with the F7, or walk down chromatically - F - up to G - up to B-Bb-A.

There's a million ways to skin that cat.

15. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I'm a professional noodler. Seriously. I've "played" the guitar for over forty years, but I swear I have some kind of handicap with learning music. I find tab a chore. Youtube bores me. I've been told I pick up things quickly (after 40 years). I play, mostly, my own stuff that I invent on the spot. It's mostly finger picking (though I am good with a pick) blues and jazz type stuff. Sometimes I wish I was 20 again and put as much into the guitar as I did the harmonica. However, we can't turn back the clock. I always relish the few and far between opportunities to get together with friends for a jam - on the guitar.

16. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Chromatically from the Guide Tones 3rd or 7th: B-Bb-A or F-E-Eb (Signature sound in blues.)
    You can certainly play whatever pleases your ear, however a 1/2 step approach from one chord to the next gives a smooth seamless sound. ;)

17. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Just a 'howdy' and some music conversation.

I've made some changes to my play list so thought I would update here.
    I've deleted a couple that are easy and I just got weary of them.
    I have cleaned up copies of End Of The Line and Night Owl with chords if any are interested.

Here's my updated play list:
    01_The Girl From Ipanema (not my writing style but makes the fingers work)
    02_Pretzel Logic_Steely Dan
    03_Slow Turnin'_John Hiatt
    04_Another Park, Another Sunday_Doobie Brothers
    05_Prime Time_Alan Parsons
    06_Love The One You're With_Steve Stills
    07_Only a Fool Would Say That_Steely Dan
    08_Long Train Runnin'_Doobie Brothers
    09_Black Friday_Steely Dan
    10_You're Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned_Alan Parsons
    11_Tequila Sunrise_Eagles
    12_Listen to the Music
    13_Kid Charlemagne_Steely Dan
    14_Rikki don't lose that number_Steely Dan
    15_Traveling Man_Ricky Nelson
    16_Brandy_Looking Glass (most recent)
    17_Ain't That Peculiar_Marvin Gaye (most recent)
    18_End Of The Line_Traveling Wilburys (most recent)
    19_Night Owl_Little River Band (most recent...just last night)

Have a great day....looks like rain in my turf.
    Carry on....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.