1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What do you play on your guitar(s)?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jerry_Mountains, Oct 27, 2020.

1. SLICKFASTER

SLICKFASTER TDPRI Member

I hammer my scales.. then roll through my set list, strapped and standing. I got four Rockabilly sets all OG. I use GarageBand to record so I won’t forget my tunes..
    If I don’t have much time I at least rip my scales...standing.

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Seriously, I'm a Money player.
    When there is nothing on the line, no pressure, I just go with the flow.
    No real musical style is off limits.

But, as of this afternoon, things have changed.
    I scored a 50th Birthday party that wants a bunch of 70's stuff.
    That is in two weeks.
    I have been an absolute slouch since March whenI last played Live.

I will be doing a lot of working out doing picking exorcises with my Metronome!

3. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Slop rock for the most part

4. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I always spend the first 20 minutes just doing drills to limber up. Then I seem to play the same 3 songs (first ones that I ever learned) each day. After that, I try to study a new song every 2 weeks as it takes me that long to learn one....probably another couple of weeks before I can play it through with minimal mistakes.

I am pretty sure the neighbors are sick of hearing the same crap every single day by now, but this was more about stress relief than anything else.

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  5. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Electric:
    Re-learning Long Cool Woman (correct)
    Hysteria
    Whatever worship I’m playing on Sunday

Bass:
    Tattoo She’s Giving it all Up for Love
    Sir Duke
    Walking Bass Lines exploration
    (bass is my current pastime)

Jerry_Mountains and Tommy Biggs like this.
  6. Burning Fingers

Burning Fingers TDPRI Member

I try to avoid playing "the usual"...stuff I play out of habit and could play in my sleep.
    Instead I listen to and pull apart tunes that sound interesting and I go on a journey exploring the style of playing used on those tunes.
    Latest exploration is Peter Green and his use of double notes.
    Previous adventures have included Hendrix of course, John McLaughlin , Zappa , Wes Montgomery and
    BB King.

Milspec and Jerry_Mountains like this.
  7. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Last week I worked up a solo acoustic version of Can't Find My Way Home. And whenever I play acoustic I can't put it down for an hour... running through some Beatles or Pink Floyd tunes, then a few songs in drop D (Dear Prudence leads to Old Country Rock, Gold Dust Woman, Cinnamon Girl), and some blues.

On electric, I've been working on improving soloing over changes and technique, so I have a list of things to work on when I have time. Usually there's some tune I want to learn or relearn better. Jeff McErlain had a YT livestream on Peter Green things a few weeks ago, and so I was working on taking apart and understanding a few things in the solos on Someday After A While (You'll Be Sorry) in F for a while, both Freddie King's and the Bluesbreakers versions. The band is playing fewer gigs and not practicing much, so new songs with them are slow in coming. There's always something to learn, though.

8. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

I watched Billy Strings and Molly Tuttle playing Little Maggie earlier, and had to get the Martin out.Seriously two chords and so much to work with there.I spent the next hour riffing on that tune.I'll have to try it with the Mando tomorrow.

SRHmusic likes this.
  9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

What that person said BUT NEVER any heavy metal.

Burning Fingers likes this.
  10. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I do a few different things when I feel like playing:

I play by ear with whatever is on the TV.

I play and sing blues songs, frequently Clapton songs.

I occasionally fumble thru some jazz standards.

Lately I've been spending time every night learning Van Halen songs. I never really devoted myself to learning them, and since he died I've been inspired. Pretty incredible stuff. I'm not a "note for note" guy, but I learn the song and study a few of the crazier lead lines. I haven't messed with finger tapping since the early 90s...

SRHmusic likes this.
  11. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I pound away on pretty much the same songs every day, trying to get them 'tighter', trying to make fewer mistakes, trying to remember lyrics.

Only several originals, both vocal and instrumental. Old songs, quite a few Dylan and Prine, and an otherwise rather eclectic mix of things, a lot of 'folky stuff', all fingerstyle on the guitar.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  12. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

I used about seven or eight albums of backing tracks, about 120 tracks and generally play to a selection of these unless learning something new, or practice on songs I already know

13. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I cannot understand how a man can play so cheap guitars :lol: So we should use cheap tools to fix cheap cars and only the expensive tools for the Mercedes, isn'it? :p

Now seriously... I do warm up with some scales up and down and then... I play in five bands and each have average a between 30 to 50 songs. Only two bands are nor originals. Different styles, Pub-rock, Rockabilly, acoustic rockabilly covers, rock covers and Soul-garage. So, figure I have lots of things to practice and remember

14. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

No more bands or gigging so just a sofa noodler now.
    Arthritis means no pick.

Often it's mindless noodling and finding grooves accidentally.

Last week I worked very hard on working out Jesu Joy Of Mans Desiring by Bach and training myself.

Sometimes I'll fingerpick open chord folky progressions.

I love old surf instrumentals and Shadows songs.

Sometimes I'll think of one of the gazillion songs I've played over the years and play it...or relearn it if it's rusty.
    This morning it was Led Zep's D'Yer Mak'er...

I'm waiting on a Looper that I've ordered arriving. We'll see what that does.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  15. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

I work and rewise the tunes of my band, to be ready.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also work my tone and my ability - particularly when I'm alone, because I can play loud and experiment at concert loudness.

I mostly play : Soul / Funk / R'n'R and derivates / Jazz and Swing / Blues / Santana... Mostly vintage styles. NO Metal.

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln.

drmordo, Jerry_Mountains and SRHmusic like this.
  16. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I typically play along with songs on spotify or youtube or whatever. When I can't figure something out, I usually am able to find a youtube guitar lesson video on the song I'm working on. It's been a couple years since I played along with other human beings. Would like to sometime soon, but not sure when/if that will happen.

17. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

I usually just play whatever tune is in my head, melody and chords at the same time. Doesn’t matter if that’s jazz standards or my bloody valentine or roots stuff. That usually leads to trying to throw cool licks on top. Then I stop and think about what I just did and try to polish those licks.

But a lot of times I just noodle from one tune to into the next. When I practice-practice I can’t do it for more than 45 min at a time, but if I’m just playing tunes I can sit there for hours. I usually have a handful of tunes in the rotation and I usually only play one or two guitars for certain periods, like, maybe a cheap classical and a jazzmaster. Or maybe I’m going between archtop and tele. They usually dictate the form.

Otherwise I just throw on some disco and play along. Or play some classical pieces from time to time.

I really should be giving more attention to scales and transcriptions though.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Tommy Biggs likes this.
  18. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

These days I mainly play and write my own stuff, together with various jam tracks on these here forums, whether I post the results or not.

SRHmusic likes this.
  19. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I practice a great deal. Jazz mostly. Maybe too much: I should play more songs.
    Then I play the songs I'm working on. Those that I play with my bands. Those that I am studying for a particular reason… and sometimes I just play old favorites for pleasure.

When I am focused, I like every minute of it, including warming up.

20. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I’m a noodler. I meander wherever it takes me.

tubeToaster and Tommy Biggs like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.