1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What do you play on your guitar(s)?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jerry_Mountains, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Depends on my mood.

Often I play something I wrote, trying to improve it musically; I also write a lot when the mood/vibe hits me.

Lately, I’ve been learning a lot of songs from my youth—outlaw country and classic rock stuff mostly, with some Chuck Berry-style rock and roll songs, too...this has served me well, to jam with my daughter (an excellent songwriter and quickly-becoming-good guitarist) and to take part in a bi-weekly Zoom Jam with a bunch of younger folks from all over the world from San Antonio and Houston and Argentina and Canada and Peru and Oklahoma (that’s a foreign country, right? :p)...

I also play a lot of stuff I wrote or old blues tunes for them, since they’re unfamiliar with most of it.

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  2. GreatGaudy

GreatGaudy Tele-Meister

I only play stuff that I struggle with..you know, the stuff that hurts your head ?
    And, once I master it pffftttt, I get really bored with it then find something new to beat me over the head with.
    I know that sounds weird, but in my case - weird is normal.

Burning Fingers likes this.
  3. tubeToaster

tubeToaster TDPRI Member

Noodling. I can play for an hour and never play a complete song. It is actually a lot of little songs all connected together like a symphony. I do come up with new song ideas that way. Drives my wife crazy though.

4. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I kind of go fishing- play chords and see if any words come. If not, I usually just run through some songs I know just so I don't forget them. I seldom try to learn someone elses song. I also enjoy playing leads with a simple looper pedal

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Mostly I'm always learning new songs or practicing old ones for a gig. Sometimes I'm writing a new song and sometimes I just go learn a song I like for fun. Sometimes I just play bluesy kind of lead stuff with no real plan.
    Right now I'm taking a few songs that have mando / fiddle / steel guitar parts (or all three) and trying to come up with a good sounding lead that works with the vocal.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I always have three major projects going at once, so on top of my noodling and keeping my repertoire fresh, I am either writing songs, recording a song, learning a song note for note or practicing a new impromptu technique. It is always blues/blues rock. I always have more stuff going on than I can juggle at once, which allows me to pick and choose depending on what I want to work on.

If I am gigging with a group, I am practicing every living moment that I can fit in, but that has not happened for quite awhile now.:(

7. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

Great lyrics! I like the "you knocked me out and now watch me grin"

Sparky2 likes this.
  8. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

I can’t play funk to save myself so no matter what else I’m playing, I practice a little bit of funk whenever I can. Get Lucky (Daft Punk feat. Pharrell Williams & Nile Rodgers) at the moment.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  9. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Every week or so, a new musical idea just comes out of my fingers.

Over the days that follow, I develop the idea - work out progression ideas, voicings, and melody/soloing concepts.

This goes on for a week, 10 days, whatever, for a few hours each day. I record the variations on these ideas and make notes of chord voicings and accompanying melody/soloing ideas.

Then, soon enough, another new musical idea springs forth and I move on to begin working with the next musical idea.

I don't play songs, nor do I play anyone else's music.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Jerry_Mountains and Tommy Biggs like this.
  10. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I play stuff I’ve written or try to write something new. Never know when something is going to strike my fancy and end up getting recorded. Then the real fun begins as I add parts.

11. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If I am not working on things I need to work on I will play some chord melody of songs that I am aware of but really don't know. I will try to create something just based on the melody. I try to spend some time on Bluegrass styles, the players in that genre amaze me.

Jerry_Mountains and Tommy Biggs like this.
  12. PaulNYC

PaulNYC TDPRI Member

Chord changes from the real book, playing heads from the real book, and improvising over changes. I also practice singing and playing pop songs.

13. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

Anything I want. But lately been learning some Johnnie Allen western swing steel parts on 6 string and Raga Yaman as played on the santoor...

14. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

noise

15. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I’m an engineer, not a gigging musician. I play what I like. Until recently, most it it was country or country influenced. I haven’t found much new country that I like enough to want to learn to play so I’ve branched out. I learned the Dorian mode by composing a jazz piece in the mode. Then I dragged Jimmy Reed’s “Caress Me Baby” up from my past, and set it in the Dorian mode so I don’t sound like a white guy playing a black guy’s blues. I found synth pop on YouTube and learned CHVRCHES acoustic cover of XO. Nothing like the original but to my liking. There’s plenty of good material out there. I’ll be retired in January with plenty of time to learn some of it.

16. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I use Pandora for backing tracks. "Like" certain songs and they pop up later.it helps break up monotony

17. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

what i want to play, and i don't seem to ever get there, exactly, is sweet funky soul guitar, like Teenie Hodges on Al Green's records, like many Motown records, and like the song Electric Ladyland. then, i want to come into a powerful lead thing like Stevie Ray.

that really sums up what i wish to be as a guitar player. i don't know that i will ever hit anything like it, but i will keep chipping away at it as long as i am alive.

the song "Cat People" by Bowie/SRV is sort of my ultimate wish.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  18. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've been practicing guide tone lines going from the 7th of the chord of the moment to the 3rd of the next chord change.

For the curious, you can use this over a simple blues in C.

C7 to F7 would be Bb of C7 to A of F7 (1/2 step)
    F7 to C7 would be Eb of F7 to E of C7 (1/2 step)
    C7 to G7 would be Bb of C7 to B of G7 (1/2 step)
    G7 to C7 would be F of G7 to E of C7 (1/2 step)

G7 to F7 would be a chromatic approach from the 3rd to the 3rd or 7th to 7th.

The 7th would be played on the last beat of the measure - the 3rd of the new chord on the first beat of the new measure

(Playing the changes)

Jerry_Mountains and Tele-beeb like this.
  19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Oh, I also spend a decent amount of time using the guitar to work out vocal melodies and harmonies. I bought a keyboard partly for that purpose, but I'm just an ole picker at heart I guess.

20. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

Because of my failing health, when I can play I'll pick up my strat or my Sorrento, or my Ovation and just noodle until I find an enjoyable riff that inspires me and after it's done try go onto another. I only play originals and there's plenty of stuff I need to keep alive in my head and my hands until I can hopefully get them recorded. My arthritis and peripheral nephropathy usually dictates my playing times.

Jerry_Mountains, Tommy Biggs and TG like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.