1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What do you play on your guitar(s)?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jerry_Mountains, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

No, really. What are you people play when you have time? I'm just curious. I struggle to find time to play my guitars, but when I do have time I don't know what to play.

Sometimes I just take an acoustic and strum a song I happen to hear on Spotify or a record, sometimes I just play along to backing tracks just to give my fingers some movement, and what I rarely do is to practice... you know, scales, chords and that stuff, it seems like I'm a bit stuck since I don't play in a band anymore and I don't have to or I don't have the task to memorize songs or lyrics.

Basically I just play for my own... but having $2k guitars for that sometimes feels like an overkill.

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

If I'm not working on anything specific, I'll pull a backing track and play against that. It helps lkeep things interesting.

It also helps when I force myself out of my comfort zone. Here's an example of six different styles in one tune.

https://soundclick.com/r/s8eegp

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Songs.
    When I’m playing for fun, I polish and practice chord melody stuff.
    When gigging, popular songs.
    I don’t, but should work on soloing.
    I’m mediocre.
    I dislike soloing.
    It’s weird, but I just prefer to say something as succinct and “smart” as I can, then be done with it.
    I’m the opposite of a “busy” player.

4. DLReed

DLReed Tele-Meister

In the evening, after work, I usually have a guitar out that I pick up and just mess around on for 20-30 minutes. No real structure or thought put in it. Maybe a riff I learned over the weekend or just bounce around in A. Weekends, I usually carve out time Saturday and Sunday mornings and learn something new. Most recently, it was How many more times by Led Zeppelin and Penetration by the Ventures.

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Typically, without gigs coming up, I fall into playing a bit of the same old songs over and over! UGH!

But if I'm on my game, I learn a song a day or maybe 4-5 a week. Not perfectly mind you, just enough to see how it goes. I learn a lot that way.
    so I:
    -find the lyrics and chords on line
    -work it out and see what happens
    -can I sing it well?
    -How about those fills and rifs?

Maybe I find a "keeper" for performance every 1-2 weeks.

6. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

telemnemonics and Munchie99 like this.
  7. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I play some of the fingerstyle stuff I've been playing since forever, long before I migrated from a Martin dreadnought or OM over to a tele. The Chet/Merle/Jerry canon, a lot of the standards--Windy and Warm, Avalon, I'll See You in My Dreams, Blue Finger, Saturday Night Special, Cannonball Rag, Nine Pound Hammer, I Am a Pilgrim, Deep River Blues, all that stuff.

Sometimes it's blues noodling. Pick a key, maybe Bm, and imagine the backing track in my head. Noodle noodle noodle, wah wah wah.

And lately I spend a lot of time just wandering around the fretboard, putting chords and sounds together, repeating a phrase in different places on the neck and challenging myself to jump to the next one without crashing. A lot of days I don't even play a recognizable tune. I just noodle, making noises, picking a little bit of a melody I hear in my head or on a Youtube video and exploring it. I'll watch a Tomo Fujita or Guthrie Trapp lesson and take what I can from it, then mess with that for an hour, triads or funk rhythm or something. Maybe try play along with a Dead and Company video if I feel ambitious.

And I like playing straight-up melodies, no harmonization, just trying to get the phrasing right and make the guitar sing the song. Current faves are St. Thomas, Round Midnight, Work Song, In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning (that has a cool intro part), It Might As Well Be Spring, the theme from Bewitched (in F, big fun). Any great American songbook song is good for that.

I've long since given up trying to play anything that I could make a performance out of. I leave many clams in my wake. Don't care. I just like the feeling.

8. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Dude. Nurse Diesel is my new favorite band name.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Trying to come up with stuff I’d like to hear on the radio or a record.
    Alternating with trying to fix or improve all the ways I screw up those attempts to make something I’m proud of!
    Then I get bored and work on the next idea, like a dog gnawing on a bone for a day or two before I bury it.

One more thing I do is try to figure out if a song is mine or too damn similar to some old tune I didn’t write.

Got one the last few days that has a similar chord progression to dylans one more cup of coffee and the eagles hotel california, but got more added and doesn’t sound the same.

Sometimes I can’t tell and other times I notice for example it’s half a Coltrane riff and half a line from Stravinsky’s rite of spring.
    So then I ruminate on whether or not I wrote a song as the time before total boredom looms.

aging_rocker and Jerry_Mountains like this.
  10. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

first off about have a 2k guitar is fine in a world where excellence of craftsmanship are valued,
    having a quality instrument that sounds beautiful, and facilitates ease of performance is not overkill. lighten up the comment seems to have an element of a put-down or guilt trip, maybe?
    I only play slide guitar and laps steel, I started with Son House and still enjoy jamming on his great playing style as best I can.
    understated playing that emphasizes the actual single notes and how the notes are manipulated with the slide. the minimalist beauty of slide and the emotions that I feel while playing
    And exploring overdriven/distorted and rhythm playing noise rock ideas.
    exploring the aspects of electric guitar and the noise that an be created and used in composition.
    I never play out, I demand that I am entertained and have no other goals besides amusing myself. Having seen Fred Firth in a solo set improvising had a great influence on the direction that I going.

small dragon face.png

Tommy Biggs and Jerry_Mountains like this.
  11. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Songs, mostly. Ones I’ve loved listening to for most of my life. Usually rhythm parts since my lead chops are still pretty lame. Learned most of Your Love by the Outfield a couple days ago when the singer died (RIP). Right now learning the solo to Two Tickets to Paradise by (RIP again) Eddie Money. Actually the solo is Jimmy Lyon, and may be the greatest solo ever. IMO.

DDickens and Jerry_Mountains like this.
  12. davemontalvo

davemontalvo TDPRI Member

I’ll get a song stuck in my head and I’ll have to learn it to scratch the itch. Last night it was Rock and Roll Ain’t Noise Pollution.

I’m also learning Duane Allman’s solo on Blue Sky so I’ve been noodling around with that a lot.

13. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Notes

14. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I always have a batch of originals going in various stages of development, so more often than not working on those ... but also like messing on the acoustic in different tunings and see where that goes; and if there's a gig coming up, going over the setlist options for that, both covers and originals.

15. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I'm all over the place, mostly on acoustic at home ( even the electric stuff, at home it's on acoustic)

- I play blues, bluegrass, folk, rockabilly
    Just always keeping lead and rhythm chops 'in shape'.
    I really don't play any hard rock ( Stones and Allmans, maybe Skynyrd is my hardest rock music)

- I play pop/rock songs as instrumental fingerstyle melodies- often just to see if I can execute. Get to know the guitar better. I play mainly by ear. So a lot of trial and error there!

- I play a lot of Neil Young, Bob Dylan, and Grateful Dead tunes, most of which never actually make it to gigs ( some do), just as I love these guys and the guitar playing
    - I never practice singing at home, yet I'm a lead singer. Lots of steady gigs keeps voice in shape ( but I don't have a lot of range)

16. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

Thanks guys lots of ideas. I think I'm gonna step up my slide game, that'll give me a purpose.

Tommy Biggs and FenderLover like this.
  17. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

It's been a lot of original material lately.

Random riffs turn into chord progressions, and then lyrics follow.

I have three such song that I have yet to record and put down on digits, but that'll come this weekend, I reckon.

Here's an example.
    It's up-beat song, not unlike a Huey Lewis and the News kind of pop-rock song.
    :)

Love Wins.PNG

18. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I mostly play songs, whether they're my own (or they're trying to be) or they're someone else's. All I mean by that is that I hardly ever play any kind of "exercise". If I want to learn a certain "sound" (say from using a certain scale) it's often because I heard it in a song and was intrigued, so I'll try to learn that song and analyze from there what gives it that sound. Or if I want to learn a certain technique, again that typically comes from hearing it in a song.

So if I'm trying to learn a song that's naturally what I'll play, be it from a book, online TAB, video, by ear, whatever. And I'm not a hardcore disciplinarian; there will be tangents here and there. Otherwise my playing isn't really structured. I either want to play some songs I know or intentionally work on my own stuff or just strum/noodle around. And one can always bleed into another.

Pretty much the only time I sit down and do the thing till it's down is if I have an obligation to someone else, say to learn the guitar part to a certain song a friend or group of other musicians wants to play with me. Then I'll learn it (at least as best I can) so come jam time or whatever there's as little "How does this part go?" as possible and it's more about the band locking it down.

EDIT: As far as pricey gear goes, so long as you're meeting your obligations and it's something you want, no need to feel self-conscious about it. I've spent money on plenty of guitars because I wanted to try them, then moved them along because they ultimately weren't for me. Granted, my tastes aren't expensive, but the principles are the same. Pay your bill and get your thrills.

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Being retired I have plenty of time. It depends on what mood I'm in or if I hear something that inspires to play something or learn something.
    As for possessing good gear, you should never concern yourself about whether you're somehow "worthy" of a "$2k" guitar. Having nice gear is not a measure of your skill or how often you play. It's about picking up a fine instrument and enjoying it's feel, tone and maybe pride of ownership.

20. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's good to have a goal. I've often considered learning entire albums from beginning to end, both because I like them and because it's something well-defined (these are the things I have to learn) but still challenging. And that's everything, from parts to tones, even transitioning in tone, approach etc. in "real time" (i.e. in the time the album itself takes to go from one song to the next). It's like guitar boot camp, and it's fun.

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.