1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What do you like for laptops/PCs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Oct 11, 2020.

1. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

great post. privacy possum and decentraleyes are both very good anti-tracking apps too.

worth a look

Greggorios likes this.
  2. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

you could definitely swing that. just buy a retail Office 2016 box or license key, and don't upgrade it, ever.

3. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A tablet is what I recommend. It will do everything you want. Lenovo makes them.

I’m typing this on a new iPad but then again I’ve been a Mac user for almost ten years.

4. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Turns out the HD was going bad. Took it to a shop that said it was worth fixing, they backed up all the data and installed a SSD. it works pretty well now.

loopfinding, black_doug and glenlivet like this.
  5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Why don't they come with a book " Computers for Dummies"?

6. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I vote Mac Mini. Love mine. I’ve been in IT for 35 years and I’ve owned or used lots of stuff. Never thought I’d be a "Mac person" but yep, it happened.

7. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

You have to buy your own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tonetele likes this.
  8. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Have an old maybe a 8-10 yr old, Lenovo w530 laptop i7, small ssd and 16g of ram and was considering getting a new laptop but my son keyed me in to the idea of upgrading from windows 7 pro to 10. Anyway took it to a local reputable shop and 3 hours later they called and said it was done. Also got a Bluetooth and 2T usb memory dongals. Holy smokes it works great and sooo fast; glad that I didn't get a new one and saved a good chunk of $.

9. RicoC3PO

RicoC3PO TDPRI Member

Your issue is most likely the hard disk. The i3 CPU is not helping either. I have replaced the hard disks in couple of Toshiba's lately with SSD drives and the difference is very noticeable. Lenovo have very poor after sales and warranty support and for that reason i will not touch them. Have had very good experiences with Dell aftersales and warranty on an XPS laptop that was very nice. HP also make good machines but I can't comment on their after sales support and warranty. Don't overlook the warranty would be my advice. Sqauwker sets out the specs to lookout for very well in post #13.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Have to say my Surface Pro has been brill.

I use a high spec special build PC for recording with quiet fans etc.

Greggorios likes this.
  11. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer Tele-Meister

I get asked this all of the time, it is like giving advice on a car. Preferences, features, brand loyalty etc, etc.

With PC hardware, ya get what ya pay for. Anything over 2k from a major PC manufacturer will get you what you want.

If you want REAL easy though.... IMHO the best PC hardware you can buy, is a Mac. Period. End of statement.

Buy a Mac at your local Apple store, develop the relationship. Have them help you load windows onto it using bootcamp. Now you have a PC that you never have to use the Mac OS on.... but if Windows crashes, you still have a functioning computer. You can take said computer to the Apple store, and they will fix it for you, or reload windows.

My "daily driver" for business travel is a 2011 Macbook Pro..... yeah, buy the clamshell case for it and it will last forever. The coating on the screen is literally falling off, but the machine itself is solid as all get out and runs Win 10 great.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

Greggorios likes this.
  12. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I use a secondhand HP Pavillion laptop, AMD A8 8GB and old fashioned hard drive with Windows 10. It's as good as anything else for Reaper and my recording needs.

I stopped building my own high spec machines years ago, they cost too much money and took up too much space.

13. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

2345.png

black_doug likes this.
  14. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I switched to MacOS in 2010 including doing BYOD for work in 2012 as I got sick and tired of constantly having to rebuild the "business quality" laptops my employer provided. Even the 2010 iMac still runs "like new"...actually better with the SSD in it...the 2012 laptop is also like new and is my backup and "shop Mac" and my "desktop" is a 2019 MBP 15" with two 27" monitors. I have not had to do anything to these machines, other than a battery replacement in the 2012 after five years. They just work. Seamless handoff to my iDevices, too. I do run Windows for CAD/CAM; under Parallels on the Macs (as seen in the right monitor here) and my CNC control machine is Win10 as required by the controller software.

monitors.jpg

What's best for me isn't necessarily best for others. Professor Dr. SWMBO prefers Windows because of certain applications she uses for research when not teaching, but is also starting to lean Mac for the next one. In the meantime, I had "the business" buy her a high-end Dell laptop last year (she's the CEO :) ) to replace the "caa-caa" machines the university offered for Windows users and it's been pretty solid, largely because I eliminated all the bloatware when it arrived before configuring it for her to use. Older daughter uses Windows...she just browses and listens to content. Younger daughter has been using a MacBook Air since she was a sophomore in high school. That was her choice and she funded half the cost. She's now a senior at Penn State and the machine still runs like new; never has had even a single issue.

15. Flat6Driver

It was the HD see my update from yesterday. :)

16. Flat6Driver

Buying a book is the opposite of "I don't want to learn"! :)

17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure I understand your "joke".

18. Flat6Driver

My first post said I didn't want to learn. :)

19. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Both at home and work, I’ve used a number of Dell laptops in the last 10 years - no complaints.
    Day to day it’s an iPad

20. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Seeing that Flat6 has solved his problem, I don't mind redirecting a bit: I want a notepad or some small device dedicated only to music. I don't want to use my phone connected to my car for anything. Despite what every car manufacturer insists, I'm a CD person and would absolutely terrorize the roads listening to music thru my phone into the Android or Apple Play features.

I would like a device loaded with my music, capable of seamless streaming when I have a connection, portable for easy travel or to just plug into my car's sound system (which is excellent). NOT USING MY PHONE.

Recommendations?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.