What do you lads and lady’s think of the new Esquire.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Hugokildare, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Hugokildare

Hugokildare TDPRI Member

Actually just Esquires in general, is it worth getting one if you already have a tele.

El Tele Lobo and nojazzhere like this.
  2. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

A friend has the 70th anniversary Esquire and it's a very nice guitar. Nice chunky neck and light body. Plenty of tonal variation with the switch and tone pot. The pickup was a little shrill, but that may be a vintage correct feature that can be tamed at the amp.

It didn't make me want one in addition to my Telecaster though, but I'm a one Tele man as I haven't found anything I like more than my current one and the Esquire isn't different enough to pique my interest.

nojazzhere and xtelesquirex like this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Doctor of Teleocity

They Sound and play a little different with that missing pickup
    Just like a Les Paul Jr it just rings more true.

Great...but I’ve only found the bridge pickup with volume and tone meets my needs so I don’t use the other settings. And I miss the neck pickup with I use a little of from time to time. So it remains a guitar I use infrequently. It would never be my main guitar.

heffus, nojazzhere and Fiesta Red like this.
  4. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

If it’s worth it to you, it’s worth it. It’s very unlikely anyone else will notice. I’ve been looking at getting one myself.

xtelesquirex likes this.
  5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I love Esquires. I “Esquired” my 83/84 era Tele with a Dimarzio Chopper wired for series/parallel/split. More of a rock Esquire than a traditional one, but very versatile. I do use the neck pickup in my other Tele and Strats, but I never miss it on my Esquire.

6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

7. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Sweetwater has an exclusive run Squier Esquire coming in that I have a lot of interest in .

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    xtelesquirex likes this.
  8. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

My favourite guitar is my single humbucker Gordon Smith GS1, I also have a single P90 Les Paul Junior which I like. I love that stripped down basic rock n roll guitar thing. But on my Tele's, I mainly use the neck pickup, so could not see myself playing an Esquire.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Esquires and Juniors are something you should own at least once. They will make you a better guitar player.

I'd suggest searching out a blank pickguard, control parts to wire up an Esquire circuit, and swap over your current Tele for a while. Then swap back later after you exhausted your curiosity.

This is the main Tele I play these days: An "Esquire-H" or "Tele-Junior". Both bobbins of the 16kohm ceramic magnet pickup are separately wired to a 4-way switch plus the pickup is lowered and the screw poles raised so I get good separation in tones for all switch positions. Fakes a Tele neck pickup (especially with a little tone knob twist), gives Strat #2 Quack, classic Tele bridge single coil Twang!, and full on Les Paul/Junior hot Humbucker.

[​IMG]

When wiring up your traditional Esquire. Try out the Leo Bassy circuit to know what it is but be sure to try the Arlo Cocked Wah Esquire version. I like it a lot better than the Eldred mod version.

tery and BassmanM like this.
  10. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

70th Anniversary owner here. I love mine. It's a great guitar. And depending on how you look at it, it takes the Tele 'philosophy' to the next level or vice versa.

A Tele makes you 'work' a little bit, but offers a lot of versatility in a very simple platform. The Esquire is even simpler so I find myself paying even more attention to where and how I pick. I'm used to riding the tone/volume control anyway, but with one pickup it's more important than ever to do it to get some of the 'softer' neck-like or middle-like tones.

It may not be for everyone, but in my opinion it's worth trying one out. If it doesn't knock your socks off at least you know and can spend more time with a guitar that does.

tery likes this.
  11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

does an Avril Squier count?
    [​IMG]

tery likes this.
  12. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I had (and have) a perfectly good Tele, but I jumped on a Squier on Craigslist because it was cheap and had a Bigsby and made an Esquire of it. No regrets.

There is something about an Esquire (and other single-pickup guitars) that makes the experience different, and it is down to the relative lack of options. Of course, you could always just keep your Tele on the bridge position and not move it, but the way an Esquire doesn't even give you a choice seems to have a psychological effect. There is no way out, even in theory. It's do or die.

Given that the effect is largely psychological, you could, in theory, put yourself there with a Tele. But most people just don't work that way.

There is value in taking limitations not of your choosing and working within them to accomplish something.

13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

My main “Big Tex” Telecaster was wired as an Esquire for a while...it was glorious.

I love my Les Paul Junior, too...

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

An Esquire straight into a 5E9 or brown Deluxe is my #1 rig. I have Teles, but have never found the neck useful, nor cared much for the sound. In my opinion, they're the finest Fender Tele-type guitar. The new Esquires look pretty nice and I'd probably spring for one if I didn't already have a couple. Go for it!

[​IMG]

zeke54 likes this.
  15. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

16. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Makes no sense to me, unless you run a humbucker as THE pickup. IMO, every Tele can be an Esquire, but an Esquire can't be a Tele.

17. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Depends on what your trying to do. If you want to go bare ass naked with your playing and tone, it's the only way to go. I had to learn how to rely more on my hands and guitar controls. I know some guys that would never be able to play an Esquire in a band setting because of that, and I think it's making me a better player because of it. I look at it like this, I have a single Seymour Duncan BG 1400 stacked bridge pup and it's a beast. My pup switch is stock, so I have, "Mud", "adjustable middle spank", "Unleashed treble, B to the W spank". I'm learning that with an OD and my compressor, I can get some cool tones out of the mud position, and have flexibility in all three positions. OK, thats a loooooong way to say that yes it looks like a Tele, has some things in common with a Tele, but no, it's not a tele.

zeke54 likes this.
  18. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

tery likes this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The only reason Esquires have some appeal (to me) is a "philosophical" one. I like the idea of "stripping" everything down to its most basic and simple components. The Telecaster itself is already pretty basic, and having one pickup, one volume and one tone (preferably no switch) begs the question (ala Nigel Tufnel) , "How much more basic can you get? The answer is none.......none more basic"
    I DO play my neck pickup a lot, usually in combination with the bridge. Until I tried a Bootstrap Pickups Pretzel bridge p/up last year, I was never a fan of bridge p/ups solo. But now, I can see "maybe" gigging with an Esquire, although I still think I'll stay with the slightly more versatile Telecaster. ;)

20. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

-- Prefer Tele for obvious reasons. 2 > 1.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.