What do you guys think of Greco guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RichardWitt, Oct 7, 2006.

1. RichardWitt

RichardWitt Tele-Afflicted

2. RichardWitt

So I take it from the amount of responses that I have got in just under the last 6 hours, no one likes Grecos?

Well, here is something that I should have added to the first post;

If Greco went on to become Fender Japan, then shouldn't the quality be as good when they were Greco as what they went onto producing as Fender Japan?
    Having also said that, Doesn't that then make Greco Tele's just as collectable as early MIJ Tele's?

3. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I dig 'em just like I dig most of the so-called lawsuit copies. Collectability on such guitars is hit-or-miss, but that just means they're a great value on a well-made guitar, and that part I like!

Cheers, Tim

4. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

i knew a girl who played in an all girl band and she used a greco bass

the thing got a decent sound and was very vintage and retro

her dad, who was the original owner, was a highly paid professional jazz musician, and judging from the neighborhood he lived in, he must have done pretty well...or at least born into big money ;)

5. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

They always look nice on E-Bay, but I have never played on so I have no idea what they are all about. Congrats on the new guitar though, it looks great.

6. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

I own 3 Greco strats from the mid and late 70s, and love em. The one from the 800 series is exceptional and another 600 series was modded to be like the Jeff Beck strat with 3 little toggles switches...it sounds so good I decided to keep it even after looking under the pickguard to see that a previous ownder evidently routed it with a chainsaw...something the seller had neglected to mention. I recently got a 335 type that was made while the logo still was Gneco...they later changed it to Greco. A lovely semi hollow that has only a small block under the p`ups, it doesn`t run the length of the body. The p`ups have Gneco on the covers and it has nylon saddles...plays great too. As far as I can determine, it was made in the early 70`s...`71 or `72 `cause they made the logo change around 1973 or so...not easy getting precise info on those... even from Japanese guys who write books on them.
    I am a big fan of my Grecos but I have to say...I also got a tele on line, that I kept for less than an hour before sending it back because after opening the box and looking the guitar over it was the sorriest POS I`ve even seen and thats coming from a guy who owns and loves a lot of MIJs...but that tele was a disaster so not all old Grecos are collectable or even very good. Personally I haven`t got any strats under the 600 series but have no hesitation in buying the higher end models but as usual every guitar must be judged on it`s own merits... tha t 335 type I got was pure luck and I don`t think it`s one of their high ends but man it is a beaut.
    That tele in your link...don`t know about the Aussie dollar so I can`t comment, I`d have to know what the price is in yen to say whether ot not it`s expensive `cause I do watch Grecos on Yahoo Japan and have an idea what they go for here.

7. RichardWitt

That's some pretty good info' to know sneakyjapan! So really only the high end series Grecos...., gotcha!

8. Frankie

Frankie Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I own a Greco Les Paul (cherry burst) and love it. Plays and sounds as nice as my "real" Les Paul. I don't know what year it is, or model number, I've seen the LP versions on flebay in the 300 to 500 range..

9. RichardWitt

That's what I kept hearing about these Greco LP's Frankie! What does a triple pickup Gibson LP go for these days??? They're not cheap that's for sure and I just couldn't justify that sort of money.
    I got this for around 1/10th of the price of a real one, so I'm not complaining!

10. lostpick

lostpick Tele-Afflicted

The 70s LPs exceeded American quality
    and be found for $600 to $800.

11. RichardWitt

Man! It's a '77 and paid less than that!

I've owned a Gibson ("Spirit", like a Jnr.) before, but not a Les Paul. By the way LP's are only going up in price every year, it looks like I will never own one either? This was my next best option and from the feedback I've been getting so far....., I'm feeling better and better about the purchase!

12. sumed

sumed Tele-Meister

Greco LP Custom

I recently acquired a Greco LP Custom from 1980, it kicks some serious butt. In 91 or 92 I purchased a new Gibson LP Standard from Elderly...I owned it for ten years and then sold it. (Unfortunately "before" Gibby prices went through the roof) I just never bonded with it properly, fast forward to a few months ago...I wanted to give a LP a go again...but I sure wasn't going to pay the astronomical prices plus the ones I played in the music stores just didn't feel even as good as my old standard did. Along comes some info on Greco in a roundabout way...so I started looking for one...bingo, picked up my Greco LP Custom for $500 shipped figuring if it su**ed I could always unload it for close to what I paid. Took it to a local guy that is very into Gibson Les Pauls (he currently owns 15!) for a setup...he kinda sneered at it when I opened the case... Two days later when I picked it up he was nothing but questions...lol, where did I get it, how much? He said he was blown away by the quality and the sound...:lol: I'm liking it much more than the old LP Standard I had.

Plus Greco is the company making the new Zemaitis guitars...I've heard good things about those too.

Attached Files:

13. RichardWitt

That's a very good point sumed! I have a guitar guy I wanna take this to, but he's Gibson through and through aswell. A bit scared to take it to him in case he does the same thing? He's currently fixing my Gibson 12 string acoustic.
    This guy by the way is James Cargill.
    His father (Merv) repaired Jimmy Page's #1 back when Led Zep played New Zealand and blew the power out to the concert/city and melted both pickups in Jimmy's LP. James himself has built guitars for many big names and me being a little fish bringing a "knockoff" into his shop seems a little insulting?

But I ain't taking it to anyone else?

14. sumed

sumed Tele-Meister

Hey, as long as you like it...right? And I'm betting you will :)

15. sneakyjapan

16. sneakyjapan

17. earl diltz

earl diltz TDPRI Member

Greco guitar's where built in the same plant as Ibanez guitars in the 70s.Most of them are identical to each other,Greco's were Japanese and European market and Ibanez guitar's went to th U.S.

18. sneakyjapan

you may be right and... there were literally dozens of guitar brands at one time in Japan and I doubt there were that many factories. My guess.....all were produced at a few factories for anybody who had the money and wanted to slap a name on a headstock.

19. RichardWitt

Well, all I can say is that this LP is an absolute TONE MONSTER!!! I have made a few minor adjustments since recieving it and I am blown away by it's performance!
    I've never pulled so many "rock" faces playing any one guitar! Lol!!! This thing beats and any actual LP I've played hands down!

Looking at Greco Tele's, I hope they're as good as this LP because I am won over by it! I can't do what I do on a Tele with this guitar, but then that's why I purchased it. Tele's bring out the mature side of my playing (if that's at all possible?), the Greco brings out the kid in me! (I was a "Metal" guitarist when I was a teenager).

I feel pretty bad about talking this guitar up on the TDPRI. Just all excited over a new toy I guess?

20. Guitarman59

Guitarman59 TDPRI Member

0919182224a.jpg

skunqesh likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.