What do you guys think about resistance bands?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cometazzi, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

so what youre saying...lifting weights wont make you a well rounded person

2. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I get it. My 'somewhat of a weightlifter' comment was a reference to a joke of sorts that's been going around this forum for a few years now and it was actually intended for the other comment I quoted under yours that seemed to be a bit doubtful about using bands. I'm a big supporter of using resistance bands and the fact that they are easier on joints is one of those reasons.

3. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have this problem too. I've found that using a magnifying glass helps. If in doubt, I just measure with an ohmmeter.

I cannot read the colors on a metal film resistor, though. Something about the bands on a blue background just messes me clean up.

old wrench likes this.
  4. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Exactly. Reading some books as well would be advised...take in a movie once in a while....learn a foreign language maybe...travel a bit..... :)

5. cometazzi

I've not been lifting weights, and I'm becoming quite a round person.

boneyguy likes this.
  6. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have been a bike rider all of my adult life. to and from work, errands, ,getting out of the house etc.
    after knee surgery I continued , cardio ,mild strenthening of whole body lower body strenth.
    I'm not talking about racing ,marathon, of road.
    Just riding the bike for the basic benefits of the exercise, plus it's really good for my stress, relaxing, equanimity.

Milspec likes this.
  7. cometazzi

Bike riding is one of my favorite things to do outdoors. Unfortunately, where I live the winter is 17 months long. Most of that time, the roads are covered in ice. People do still do it here, but riding a bike is pretty dangerous. I'm not interested in spending over a grand on a fatbike.

I also live within biking distance to where i work, and it would be a perfect 30-min cardio per day thing if I rode to work every day. Unfortunately two of the three roads that I would take have no shoulder, blind hills and corners and the traffic moving on it is almost highway speed. In the morning I would be riding in darkness or twilight. Otherwise, I would.

I was just telling someone else that I used to ride all the time during the summers, but the last few years I haven't. I walk some, but not as much as I could or should.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  8. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Holic

Bands are OK. I prefer free weights but they consume quite a bit of space and are pricey.

9. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah up in the land of the Ice and Snow, it must be difficult/dangerous to bike around.
    I live in what's known as a Mediterranean Climate, , experience no real winters, moderate climate and I really do appreciate what I have here . Though when the Hayward Fault line finally gives up the ghost the sierras will be the mecca of undeveloped beach front properties

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Personally I find that the most important part of any exercise routine is starting again. :cool:

11. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Regarding the thread title :) -

I really like Neil Young.

Great music from a good guitar player and his lyrics always find a way to hit home.

Sorry @cometazzi; I'm on my second interpretation and it still doesn't look like I'm anywhere close.

edit: It's already been a long week, and my old gal just told me it's still Sunday. :)

12. Twin52

Twin52 Tele-Meister

Can work, used a lot in physical therapy.

13. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

I decided to build a homegym for that reason, the current circumstances made accessibility to a gym impossible!
    2B02D9D5-1B4D-4D04-92E3-A15A9C1C7B37.jpeg

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  14. Jupiter

man that's sweet!

I have NO space in the house, so I built a super-primitive platform/rack for the front patio that I could disassemble and lean against the wall on the porch when I wasn't using it (I made a thread about it back then). Got me through the Spring and Summer until they opened my school again in August. Nowadays I get to use the school's power racks and stuff. I'm basically the only guy working out in there ATM.

[​IMG]

15. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

That’s pretty sweet! You get to enjoy a workout and absorb some Vitamin D at the same time :p

I bet the weather must be nice in Japan..

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

The only good use that I have seen 'em for is on my wife's Kala bass. Otherwise, I split wood, ski, hike, whitewater canoe, flyfishing ...

17. Jupiter

Nope! Spring is fine, and winter is okay for winter (usually cold and sometimes windy, but often sunny), but June-July is monsoon season, and July-August is hot and humid! Plus mosquitos... But I rigged up an awning and put a fan out there, and I was at least able to keep training.

18. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Never mind all this fancy gym gear. Just buy a Vox AC30 or Fender Twin and lift it up and down 20 times a day with each hand. When you're easy with that, carry it up and down the stairs a few times.

19. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

i think theyre ok if a person doesnt go to tight causing a compression of the working joint area possibly leading to imbalance or injury

or not who knows imo

20. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

Well first you have to get your body used to exercise again, if you don't... exercise will painful and injury prone.
    1: Stretching
    2: Water aerobics (done in a pool) or walking
    3: light weight lifting, let those stabilizer muscles and tendons get use to the additional strain.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.