1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What do you guys think about resistance bands?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cometazzi, Jan 9, 2021.

1. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

At least for me I shouldve
    Less potential for injury. Better for increasing range of motion and mobility. The ability to isolate and focus on a specific muscle.

2. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

First time I ever used resistance bands was doing P90x. I had never in my whole life been able to do a pull-up. After 90 days with bands and dumbbells, I could do several pull-ups, no problem. P90x can be pretty harsh if you’re not prepared for something like it, but they made a precursor to it called Power 90 that was supposed to be a little easier

3. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

ah i see...im sure there are great things the bands can do but i dont think they are a 100% substitution for weghts

4. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Your post in the thread [redacted] was edited. Reason: You sir, should know better.

5. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Bands helped heal a shoulder impingement - worked with a great PT, did the homework and it 100% healed in a few months.
    Pushups: i could barely do 5 proper when I first started 12 yrs ago. Started doing them against a wall (standing up) just to focus on correct form...then on a staircase, for more of an angle...then on the floor but from the knees...then actual proper push-ups. I use the 'perfect pushup " rotating handles. I currently do 6 sets of 40 reps every other day. Take your time, barring any physical limitations you can do this - it's not a big deal. I'll be 60 in april.

6. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Resistance bands?

The pesky squirrels around my place hate those things, I can tell you that... :twisted:

7. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I think they can be great, especially as an aid for working on pull-ups. However, they do break. I don't care what the manfacturers say. They break (happened to me twice). So I only use them with eye protection.

8. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Why, are you somewhat of a bodybuilder?...... ;)

9. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:lol: i have the anti-bodybuilder build...ectomorph body...but i love working out

boneyguy likes this.
  10. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Holic

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    Resistance bands are good. Brisk walking is good. Anything that gets you exercising is good.
    You might also want to try a plank challenge. Good for the core. Work your way up from 15 seconds to 3 minutes in 30 days.
    Try holding yourself in a plank position for 3 minutes. You can find 30 day planking regimens on line.

11. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I think the idea of 'exercise' is an artificial concept that came about when life for most of us civilized humans became a lot more sedentary as a result of automation and modern conveniences like having running water magically appear out of a tap instead of walking to the well or stream several times a day etc. etc. So we had to devise artificial 'chores' to replicate what once was just normal daily activities of survival.

What our bodies actually need is movement....we are designed to move...it wouldn't be inappropriate to think of movement as a nutrient our bodies absolutely require for good health. Lack of movement is what causes us to deteriorate rather quickly. I have proven this conclusively in my own life over the past several years and now that I'm not 19, or 29 or even 49 anymore the road back to feeling healthy and vital again is A LOT steeper and bumpier. ....:(. But it's also amazing how we are programmed for recovery....the time frame shifts noticeably and the degree of recovery may also alter but the body's basic genetic design toward recovery and health is a primal force within us all I think.

12. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Resistance bands are really great because they are affordable and they take up no space when not in use. Get yourself a book on how to use them because you an cause a repetitive stress injury if you use them incorrectly. Work on flexibility too. Start slow and then increase reps and resistance as you gain strength.

A comedian once said, "I got myself a Stairmaster, and I took it home and stared at it for a few years before I got rid of it.

If you drop a resistance band on your foot it won't break your toes.

13. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

Vitamin D deficiency?
    It's all well and good taking suppliments, but the body needs sunlight to work with it, about half an hour a day, I believe.
    That's why even during lockdown, governments allow people outside to exercise. It's as much about the daylight exposure as the huffing n puffing.

14. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

They are futile.

Fuelish and Dirty Dave like this.
  15. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

If you can find it, Scientific American had a great article on this topic.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MMTPLBQ/?tag=tdpri-20

boneyguy likes this.
  16. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

Same here, but pulmonary rehab.
    Useful on their own, also good as a warmup before more strenuous workouts.

17. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Physical work is fine if you're used to it and already fit. If you're not, doing high impact stuff like laying decking or building a shed can really **** you up physically. Or give you a heart attack, which amounts to the same thing. Full body workouts can be fatal if you're unfit.

Gym workouts are focused and targeted. Plus, if you get tired you're left with dumbells on the floor, not 200 sq ft of unfinished deck. :)

18. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

I watch the physical therapist use them with patients in the hospital. My wife uses them. Really no difference between them and the elastomer bands utilized by Soloflex or similar resistance machines.

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I have used them as assistance for pull-ups, chin-ups and dips to help me get a higher number of reps or to help support joints at the extremes of range of motion. Also at times when I was traveling and didn’t have access to other equipment.

For me the biggest difference from weights is the way resistance varies across the range of motion. With some exercises that’s a benefit (more resistance in the part of the movement where you are strongest), and for others it’s a problem (the opposite).

A person could easily put together a nice routine from a combination of resistance band and bodyweight exercises.

20. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

At the age of 67 and in light of the situation of the last near year, I realized I needed to do some kind of physical exercise. I started slowly. Like you I was appalled at how few actual pushups I could do, especially harkening back to my public school P.E. days when pushups were liberally prescribed as punishment for whatever infraction the sadomasochistic P.E. coach deemed fit. My regime is a very brisk morning walk of just over two miles up and down the hills of my neighborhood and a daily session of hand weights and pushups. I've worked up to 25 pushups per session (don't laugh young bucks you'll be old one day too). It's given me some tone but it's vintage tone, and by that I mean it's toned wrapped up in an old man's spotty, crepe-skinned meat suit. Doing something is better than doing nothing. Good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.