What do you guys know about this model of P90?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Tomm Williams, Nov 6, 2019.

1. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

Take some pictures of the back of the pickups when you get them. They may just be Dimarzio’s version of a noiseless P90 I’m sure whatever they are they’ll sound great.

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I like P90's and I like minibuckers too. Nothing wrong with either pickup in my opinion, you make good music with either pickup.
    Firebird pickups are even better.;)

Smylight and bender66 like this.
  3. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

BED76283-8171-407F-BAE2-798B72A79362.jpeg And just as some of you suggested, the double pole pickup is a Dimarzio Super Distortion. It sounds pretty good really but just yet another example of some GC kid saying things he either doesn’t know or is lying. It also arrived without a case so I need to address that.
    I set it up with new strings and I like it, just wish it had turned out to be exactly what it was described as being....

Jimmy Owen, Zepfan and bender66 like this.
  4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn't say you did bad. You can sell that pickup & put it towards what you want.

Did you check the neck pickup while you're at it?

5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's not a Super Distortion. DP169: Virtual P90.
    https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/soap-bar

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The stock soapbar non-dogear P90s in a lot of newer Juniors and Tributes are not a true vintage style P90 - they're not bad but are a bit trelbier than the older so the Dimarzios are a step up from them. If you do buy new ones watch what you get.

7. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

That's a nice website, and didn't realize their pickups were so affordable nowadays. These sound like a good compromise P90, where you need hum reduction, such as with higher gain applications. I'd check the wiring and pot recommendations, and height adjustment to make sure I'm getting the most out of them, and then I'd play them.

bender66 likes this.
  8. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Holic

Hi Tomm,
    Looks to be a nice goldtop to me. The ‘74 you remember fondly would have come stock with the same mini humbuckers that were standard on the 60s Epiphone Wiltshires, Crestwoods, Rivieras, and Sheratons. I’m thinking the Gibson had a bunch of them left when they off shored the Epi line to Japan.

When Gibson created the Les Paul Deluxe in 68, it came as a Gold Top with P 90s, but by 69 they were shipping them with minis.

Enjoy it. You can put either P 90s or Minis in that footprint. Check the pot values—the P 90s were 250 I think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Lotus Silverburst LP with Dimarzio Super Distortions in it back in the 80's and it was awesome. It could do vintage sounds as well as modern Hot stuff. If you want to go back to the original P90's it would be an easy switch. Minibuckers are nice for classic rock and country or Firebirds can give you bluesy attitude or clean sparkle tones.
    You may be able to fit some Dynasonics, 2k's or Filtertrons in there as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.