What do you guys know about this model of P90?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Tomm Williams, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

Tonight I ordered a 2017 Les Paul Classic Gold Top from a GC that featured some different looking P90’s. Instead of one row of pole pieces, there were two. I asked the rep if they were aftermarket and he said they were part of a limited run P90 Gibson used for this particular gold top.
    I’m sorry I can’t post pics as I cannot find a single picture anywhere of these units.

Any info ?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  2. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

Like this? I don't know what Gibson used but this is a Dimarzio. TV Jones has some that look like this too. I'm not aware of anything Gibson makes that looks like this. DP162BK.png

Electric Warrior, BB and jimash like this.
  3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Was it used?

4. Tomm Williams

Yes looked similar to that

5. Tomm Williams

Yes

6. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

I bet it was an after market pickup, can you figure out how to post a picture of it that would help.

7. Tomm Williams

I asked the rep that very question and he said they were original but I’m not ruling out he was wrong. As soon as I bought the guitar the pic came down off their site so I guess I’ll have to wait for it to get here and pull one.
    However....... assuming he’s wrong and they are Dimarzio Super Distortions what’s the opinion on those?

studio1087 likes this.
  8. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Actually, we're counting on YOU to tell Us about those pups.
    When the brown truck leaves a box @ your door, you are under strict order to get out the camera and snap us a few pics, then play it til the sun comes up.
    Okay?

nojazzhere and Tomm Williams like this.
  9. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Someone put another pickup in that guitar. I can't ever recall seeing a Gibson GT as recent as '17 having a pickup like that stock. Or ever.

I can't ever recall a time when a GC employee was straight with me on the phone. That's why I like their return policy.

Super Distortions are well known classics but whether that P90 footprint version sounds the same is any ones guess.

Golem, Tomm Williams and Zepfan like this.
  10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Dinarzio made pickups like that - They came in some Japanese made Yamahas. There's different models. I think they fit in a standard soapbar mount.

Gibson P100s are stacked hummers but look like a standard P90 with single screw row.

You can still buy them in various grades from mild-wild. Ovation Breadwinners and Deacons also came with these in front of the preamp.

They don't sound P90 IMO but they have a nice growly vibe of their own. Plus they're humbucking. $300 for two, they're not cheap.

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

GFS and several other cheap versions of that same pickup are available all over the internet.
    It's a minibucker in a P90 housing. Some are good, some are decent and some are lousy.

I'm with bender66, don't think Gibson ever made a pickup like that.

12. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Whatever it is, it isn't a P90.

13. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Perhaps it started out with P90’s and someone installed mini humbuckers. They are interchangeable, in fact mini humbuckers are the only pickup that is interchangeable with a P90.
    I had a Gibson Gold Top with mini humbuckers back in early 70’s. People were always confusing them with P90’s.

14. Tomm Williams

Well I guess the answer will come soon enough, probably by Tuesday of next week. Regardless of what they turn out being I can always change them out if I don’t like them.
    I’ve been jonesing for a gold top to remind me of when I was about 14? a very kind music shop owner allowed me to borrow a GT Deluxe with minis to use at a number of gigs ( this would have been 74-75) as my POS Guitar was messed up.
    Now why on earth he would let a child walk out the door with a brand new Les Paul I have no idea but it left some great memories. If I don’t like whatever pickups are in this goldtop, it might get a set of minis put in it for the nostalgia.

Jimmy Owen, nojazzhere and CFFF like this.
  15. Smylight

Smylight TDPRI Member

Gibson's P90s usually sound great and are cheap enough. Do yourself a favor and skip the mini humbuckers. ;-)

Pierre

bender66 and Paulie_Boy like this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I hope in one way or another, you've paid the favor forward. If everyone who's had special favors done for them (and I believe that's most of us) did something similar for someone else, the world would be a much better place.
    Please let us know about the pickups....and remember, Gibson did us all a favor by introducing P-90s.

17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

A '17 Classic with P90s sound odd enough to me on its own. Plenty of '18s had them, though (I have one).

The limited edition double-row pickups thing sounds like a complete fabrication (A.K.A. lie) to me. There's no way someone could say that as a mistake, because it's so far removed from anything resembling the truth. The salesperson probably just took you for a sucker and made some crap up to get you to stop asking questions.

It's either humbuckers that you are somehow confusing for P90s, or else they are aftermarket pickups. Even if it actually came that way from Gibson as part of some bizarre limited run that nobody ever heard of, then I can almost guarantee you the pickups were not Gibson pickups. Probably DiMarzios.

If it turns out they are aftermarket, I can't see just tolerating a bald-faced lie and making a pickup swap. You should try your damndest to get that salesperson fired. A bald-faced lie is an unforgivable sin for a retailer, and the perpetrator of it should be shown no mercy.

18. Smylight

Smylight TDPRI Member

In my time, I have come across so many clueless guitar salespersons you wouldn't believe it. I’m pretty sure a whole lot of the poor souls wandering the floors of music stores haven't even tried a P90 and could not tell it from an AlNiCo even with a sticker with the name slapped on it.

So, maybe this was not a lie, but an incompetent salesperson. He/she should nevertheless be allowed to roast in guitardom hell till the Thermapen registers at least 165° in the thickest part of his/her leg. And banished for eternal life from approaching a guitar within 10 meters.

Pierre

19. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

Tough crowd!

20. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

It's not prejudice if it's *true*.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.