What do you guys do for a living? Any Engineers?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BlueEyedSon, Jul 19, 2014.

1. wutmornin

wutmornin Tele-Holic

you remind me of......ME!

toolmaker here, I get to design it and build it and install it and maintain it. And get the accolades if it works and makes money and take the heat if it screws the pooch. 20 years getting paid to solve problems and be a hero and enjoying everyday.

2. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

I am an aerospace engineer. When I decided that was what I wanted to be, I had in my mind that I would design airplanes for a living. I didn't think about the fact that there are tens of thousands of aero. engineers and only a few new airplanes a year, if that. It's the norm in engineering to wind up focused on a small subset of what you picture the whole job to be. Some folks don't like that, but I am very happy focusing on my little piece of the puzzle. There's a lot more to engineering than you may think. Four years of college will barely scratch the surface.

3. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Not sure if there's an equivalent down in the states, but up here in Canada I'm an Electrical Technologist. It's a 2-year electrical engineering diploma program with an optional 2-year extension to obtain a degree if desired.

I work for a local manufacturer designing and building heavy machinery for the mining, forestry, and oil and gas industries. Mostly for the local potash mines. I do electrical design work mainly, with some PLC programming, and then testing and commissioning on job completion. Occasional service calls underground as needed as well.

Working for a small manufacturer, I get to do a little (or a lot) of everything involved in the electrical design process (sometimes absolutely everything), and then actually get hands on with the machinery during assembly and commissioning.

I really enjoy it, though I do still have to attend my fair share of meetings and write my fair share of documentation. :neutral:

As mentioned, there is a LOT of math involved in engineering education. There's also a very heavy workload comprised of very dense material. The completion rate in my own program was only 30%. It's definitely something to consider before throwing your hat in.

4. Elkhorn

Elkhorn Tele-Meister

I got a M.Sc. (Oil Hydraulics) 30-odd years ago. Loads of math and I loved that. Never worked a minute in the hydraulics business, but instead stumbled into IT, Unix. CAD and corporate training.

Today my roll is to see to it that our big multinational company has enough trained and certified guys worldwide to send to customers when it is time for major upgrades. I don't (any longer) give courses myself and I miss that. Being on stage, as it where.

5. gtrjones

gtrjones Tele-Holic

I'm a civil/environmental/geological engineer. Have done work on environmental spills/cleanups, water resources, and am currently working on earth dams. As I approach 50, I've been doing more people managing than dirt kicking, but it's the natural progression, and a way to share my experience. I still enjoy it.

6. Mr_Mer

Mr_Mer Tele-Holic

I make way too much money to go into full time music gig.

And yes, I am an engineer (Mechanical) by trade who sits in meeting all day solving problems other engineers can't solve. I work with my head, not with my hands. Those are for playing.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I answer to software engineer or software developer. Heck, I answer to code monkey.

8. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

You know, Answer to Code Monkey would make a great name for a band.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This song contains the greatest single line of lyrics ever penned: "Code Monkey think 'maybe manager wanna write goddam login page himself!'".

10. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Power plant control systems engineer here. It's a good thing I can't sing.... If I could, I would be broke.

11. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

Engineers attend meetings, hold hands and deal with politics. I doubt that's avoidable. But as with virtually any other job, engineering has it's good and bad points.

One of the great points is a good engineer should have job security.

12. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Consumer Finance/Banking for the past 15 years - it seems like you just have an interest in engineering - if you really have the academic chops to be an engineer, go for it. The long term financial reward potential is high. But.......if your one true love is music and your serious about the commitment, you'll never never question your decision.

13. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Mechanical engineer...sort of.

I got a bachelor of fine arts in Industrial Design. Which should have taken me to some really cool jobs. I learned drawing, model making, 3D design (pro-e). Industrial designers are the people that make things LOOK cool. Toothbrushes, tv's, refrigerators, cars, kids toys, etc etc. I'm just now realizing this - guitar gear!
    Someone has to design how all of our stuff looks, and I can tell you it's not engineers! :lol:

But I decided to stay in my home area and went to work for a contract company doing engineering work for a large yellow machine making company at the suggestion of my dad.
    My skills in 3d design allowed this career path. The rest I picked up along the way. It's a solid, stable income for the most part. 08-09 was kinda rough. If I didn't have a wife and kids I could afford to play some really really nice guitars every night after work.

14. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

My late Father did a LOT of....'hands on'....as a mechanical engineer, in the early and middle parts of his career.
    But later on, he ended up doing.....contract negotiations......with the military, working for a large defense contractor.

As he once told me......"It's still a paycheck."

15. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

I've seen that where I'm working. Youngest guys do the drafting part. Then there's the designers. As you move up and get older, it's more decision making and going to meetings. The team leads and managers do nothing but go to meetings.
    It's a catch 22. If you want to make more money you have to do the not so fun stuff. If you want to stay a designer forever, you will be payed accordingly.

16. Dep

Dep Tele-Holic

Retired Deputy Sheriff. And I don't miss it at all...lol.

Dep

17. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I teach high school chemistry (3 different levels). Chemistry (and teaching) is fun! And no, I don't know how to make meth in an RV.

18. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I need to add that my degree is in aeronautical science with a minor in aviation safety, so long story there lol

19. jorbjorb

jorbjorb Tele-Meister

I'm an electrical engineer for a building automation contractor. It pays ok i guess.

20. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

I got picked up for sort of a last minute gig and met with everybody to rehearse last night. Turns out the bass player is an electrical engineer like me. We got to talking and he is also member right here at TDPRI...he plays Telecaster, mandolin, and violin too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.