What do you guys and gals think of Yamaha fg-75s

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Hugokildare, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Hugokildare

Hugokildare TDPRI Member

I’m thinking about getting a Yamaha fg-75 for a beater guitar as I don’t want to bring my 48 lg1 all over the place. Also if anyone sais you’d be better of getting an x braced guitar, i love ladder braced as I find they work great for blues.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I have an old Yammi that I bought 15 years ago for my son to learn on. It sits in the living room for anyone to play and it gets played a lot.
    Yamaha makes serious guitars.

3-Chord-Genius and nojazzhere like this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Back in the 1970's I had an FG 160.....great cheap guitar.
    I still have an FG Jr, 3/4 size that I used for "music therapy" when I taught Special Ed. It's sturdy enough that I didn't have to worry about a student damaging it, plus if it DID get damaged, it wouldn't have been a major loss. It rarely gets played since I retired, but it hangs on my music room wall.....ready and able. ;)

BB likes this.
  4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

The original red label Nippon Gakki guitars are almost legendary and have a bit of a cult following. I happen to still have my original 1969 FG-150 and it is a great and wonderful guitars (and has lots of stories to tell).

There is one huge problems with the old Yamies - they are very difficult to reset the necks and most of them need neck resets. There are two schools of thoughts - some people say that Yamaha used a glue that won't release under heat (epoxy maybe), some say that the neck pocket is built such that you can't really inject the steam. Either way you can't get the neck off.

There are a few people who manage to reset their necks - I have contact information for one guy who seems to be quite successful. On my guitar which needed a neck reset (which I'm capable of doing, I build guitars) I ended up sawing the neck off and converting to bolt on.

Short story, if it needs a neck reset, and I'll bet it does, consider that it might not be possible or at least will be very invasive. Be sure to check that (along with all the other normal things). We can discuss more if you would like

5. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Yamaha generally makes good guitars. The acoustics can have neck problems, but they made thousands upon thousands in factories, so not necessarily a surprise that the ones that show up for repair looks like a trend. I don't have an opinion that's worth stating, because I don't the data that covers all Yamaha acoustics from that period, for example. I do have a 70's Yamaha FG-165S which plays great, sounds good and is a perfect beater. No neck problems, one tiny data point against an unknown sea.

Ladder bracing? Yeah, ok. I see a trend amongst some folks that like to use that approach as some sort of virtue signaling...probably not the case with you, but, IMO, it's not the physical structure of internal guitar bracing (in and of itself) that makes for the exceptional blues experience. For every Blind Lemon Jefferson or Blind Willie McTell, or Leadbelly, you got your Lightnin' Hopkins, or Rev. Gary Davis or Elmore James or Big Joe Williams.

Sure ladder braced guitars are evocative of a certain era; if that's your huckleberry, more power to ya. My guess is that if Blind Lemon could afford an X-braced guitar, he would've played one, no questions asked. But that's just an opinion, and at the end of the day, Jimmy crack corn.

6. Hugokildare

Hugokildare TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply. I do however genuinely prefer ladder braces guitars and not because I’m trying to go against the grain or be avant guard. When I first decided to look into acoustics I spent a couple of days going up and down Denmark street knowing nothing about acoustics. I found only a couple of guitars I really liked and through later research I discovered all of these to be old small bodied ladder braced guitars. I honestly just préfère the sound, simple as that. wether or not that is looked down upon I couldn’t care. As I find ladder braced guitars tend to have more focus in hi and mid range, I also found each note had a lot of clarity although I will concede that x braced guitars are much better for strumming. I tend to only play finger style so this doesn’t matter. Wether or not you think the early blues men like Robert Johnson would of chosen x braced if they could, I fell in love with there tone and sound so it doesn’t matter to me.

7. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I am a big fan of ladder braced guitars and have built one and own several. They do have a wonderful sound that is all their own, particularly suited for blues and old timey music. The one big problem is that they are even more prone to bridge/top rotation than X braced guitars making neck resets even more probably. The one exception to that is a ladder braced guitar with a tail piece - no rotation, only downward force and that wonderful boxy tone.

The make or break thing for me on any old Yamie would be the neck angle regardless of how they decided to brace it.

8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

They’re great guitars. Necks like baseball bats. They sound beautiful. I’ve bought a couple off craiglist. They’ve come and gone but I think they’re fantastic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.