1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What do you do to your grits?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Jan 20, 2021.

Tags:
  1. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

When I was a little kid I loved butter and a generous shake of Bac-O’s bacon bits stirred in.

Nowadays I tend to like garlic cheese grits too...but I’d do the butter/black pepper variety also.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  2. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Holic

cold oatmeal

97dbb6e9c29bacdb7c418f4d0306ce58.gif

3. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

TD, did they make you go out and shake the grits out of the grit tree back in them days? ;)

Toto'sDad and Fretting out like this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting! This is what I was looking for, I guess my blackberry jam wasn’t too much of an abomination (although my hominy grits may be?)

I gave up eating bread and had a new bottle of jam I had bought and figured I could find a way to use it and add some flavor

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

+1.

[​IMG]

6. Fretting out

Like shaving with cold water or cold black coffee

Just doesn’t seem right

rcole_sooner and electrichead like this.
  7. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

I like to add bacon bits, cheese and I crack an egg and blend it in while cooking the grits. Now this is something you can be proud of when it hits the plate with a slice of toast with butter and jelly.

Blister likes this.
  8. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

Man we should go to Poogans! Lived in Charleston, SC for 17 years and you are telling no joke! Grits are like Teles around here, every dish has its own unique style and charm! I'm definitely a fan of the tasso ham and blue crab gravy. Never ate food like this until I moved here, but will be eating it the rest of my life no matter where I live. Keep on pickin!!!!

Dan R likes this.
  9. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Like being in Northern New Jersey and not going into a diner and ordering the official NJ breakfast sandwich to go: two fried eggs and fried Taylor Ham on a soft Kaiser roll, with spicy brown mustard. And a coffee, regulah, pal.

10. Fretting out

That’s interesting, I’ll have to try that

While cooking corned beef hash I’ll crack a couple eggs and mix it in but never thought about doing it to grits, and with a meat added!

11. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

Anybody who says they don’t like grits has just never had them made properly IMO.

the first key rule is that you MUST get the right amount of salt in them WHILE they are cooking. If you don’t get them seasoned then, just dump them out because you’ll never get them seasoned properly after they’re done.

the only prerequisites are salt, pepper, and butter. But shredded cheese doesn’t hurt either.

If you are making a more gourmet style grits (like if you were making Shrimp and Grits) you could use chicken broth, heavy cream and milk instead of water. This would be more of the stone mill style grits, not the Quaker instant grits crap that you get in a grocery store. It also takes a lot longer to make them.

stewed tomatoes and grits are a big thing here in SC, but I don’t like tomatoes.

you of course have Shrimp and Grits (which also usually contains sausage, the unmentioned ingredient) which is probably the most famous grits dish.

you can also make a nice Chicken Pontalba dish with grits, shredded chicken, country sausage. I’ve had it with small diced potatoes too.

chorizo sausage and scrambled eggs are also good mixed with grits.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  12. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I'll put my Gritty against yours:

[​IMG]

13. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I just started making them. Over the summer I bought a whole pile of soul and southern food cook books. Two of them, "jubilee" by Toni Tipton Martin and "Sweet Home Cafe" published by the Smithsonian have excellent recipes in them.

My wife is the one who always ordered them when we travelled in the southern states. It seems that she always bought them without any dairy products in them, aside from butter. Always served with shrimp.

The recipes that I have used I've altered a bit. No cheese or cream/milk. Anson Mills, based in South Carolina has a great recipe on their web page. They make a stock out of shrimp shells, and then add onion and a few other ingredients. Smoked ham or bacon are cooked in the same pan as the shrimp, then are added to the grits. The stock is reduced, and poured on the grits. I've also done lobster, scallops and oysters. Always a bit of ham or slab bacon. Yum!!

14. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

I'm hungry!

Ronzo and Bryan A like this.
  15. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Butter, salt, pepper

16. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Just to upset all you grits purists, this weekend I’m going to prepare some flavored with cardamom and saffron and top them off with with some homemade curry and a dollop of spicy Indian pickle.

17. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I was kayaking all over that area back in the late 60s. No wetsuits, no fiberglass or plastic kayaks. Mine was stick-built and covered in painted canvas.

The Sand Mt. area used to be extraordinarily backward, even for Alabama (and in many ways, it still is). We would go to Rainsville for family reunions and my modern Bluegrass Banjo was considered a little uppity for them...though they would actually talk to me if I played a little while.

18. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I cook up some veggie sausage substitute, chop it up and mix it in with a little butter, salt and pepper. If I'm feeling my oats, I'll grate a little cheese too!

19. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I always make way too much--on purpose.

I lay a piece of wax paper into a brownie pan and press the leftover grits into the pan so it's about 1/2" to 5/8" thick, cover it with cling wrap, and refrigerate it.

Next morning I cut it into 2" squares and brown them in a buttered skillet over medium heat. Done right, the outside is a little crisp and the inside is soft and gooey.

If you've never had fried grits, give it a try. It's better this way. Top with redeye gravy and serve with eggs any way you like 'em.

Ronzo likes this.
  20. dhodgeh

dhodgeh TDPRI Member

Butter, pepper, and hot sauce. Sometimes I'll skip the hot sauce and throw in a bit of red curry (real easy to over do it).

Wifey like cream cheese in hers, but not for me.....

D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.