What do you do to let out pent up aggression?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LunarSlingShot, Mar 26, 2020 at 10:16 AM.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I build stuff. I have an internet radio and I listen to a classic country station from Prescott, Az and just have alone time building stuff.... I get deep into my own mind and just focus focus on the task at hand... you get a rush of adrenaline when you make progress and it kind of manages your brain chemistry in a good way.... and you are good and tired at night.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  2. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

Not that I am aware of. Regardless, it is not a chance I am willing to take.

I make enough money to support my family of four without my wife having to work so she can take care of my kids.

I don’t have a college degree or any special training. This job for the time being anyway is the only way I can see supporting my family and that is the most important thing to me.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 1:26 PM
  3. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

as has been noted - exercise is pretty key.

I've been chopping wood. Slinging a maul, getting the perfect split, i dunno - it just works for me. Just have to refrain from creating 3 cords of kindling, lol

4. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

I don't get aggressive but balled up inside in certain circumstances. In my previous stressful trade I'd have a few beers to unwind (but not to an addictive level). These days I'm earning not much more than half of my previous salary due to redundancy and my age but that's the way life goes and I'm happier. Otherwise, a long relaxing walk in the outskirts of the village or the graveyard usually does the trick. It's impossible for me to be intense in the peaceful atmosphere after reading the inscriptions and sad epitaphs.

5. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

thc gummies would have been my suggestion but i think that is what you are referring to. physical exercise. it helps the body and releases the mind. watch alcohol usage.

play music!

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yup.

I saw this coming and I headed towards New Orleans, Mardi Gras day and looked on for a few minutes and then got busy, planning my work down there. Was that for ten days? Seems a long time ago, now.

These new, relatively quiet orbital sanders running Lithium Ion batteries are good therapy. You just sand and sand, until every one of these little batteries is dead. And then you stay busy, cleaning up. The next day, the same thing and no interaction with anyone. Big Ole Mask, because that's standard procedure anyway.

Eventually everything is sanded and the paints and paint brushes come out. Would spraying be faster? Probably, but IMO you've got to drive this coating deep into the crevices or you are wasting your time. Right hand painting, then left, then right again. Then left again. Until all 2 plus gallons is gone and everything is covered. Best it has looked, since 2003.

You cannot afford to feel aggression, well up off the ground on a ladder. Or, at least I wouldn't recommend it. You know you can suppress your fear of heights, only with a peaceable mind.

7. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Meister

Chopping wood, as already suggested. IF you don't have any wood to chop, you could chop some broccoli.

8. schmintan

schmintan Tele-Meister

Workout, I mean a balls to the wall workout.
    Or weight lifting, getting up near your one rep max back/front squat. When you're really getting to your max, there's no room in your head for anything other than the task before you, the weight that has to be lifted.

I also meditate. Not Buddhist stereotypical chanting.i sit quietly and absorb what's happening right now. The sound of the traffic, of people passing, the feel of the wind, the feel of my body, it's niggles, aches and pains, my breath, each in breath is a new stsrt to a new moment, each out is the end of an old moment to let go.

Living in the present (modern day mindfulness) is the way out of stress. Just find your form of meditation. Could be chopping wood, playing guitar, painting, whatever let's your mind live in the now.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 3:53 PM
  9. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

A bowl of high fiber cereal, a clean bathroom, a little time to myself, and something to read during the process. Afterwards, I find the world a kinder and gentler place. ;)

LunarSlingShot and getbent like this.
  10. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Holic

I find it sad that your employer thinks this is the most important thing to do right now.

11. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

This

12. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I reframe things, as a mental exercise in distancing. Choose the distance you can cope with, but start at 2 billion miles if you like, edge of the solar system

Look back to the tiny rotating dot of earth. You can barely see it rotate. Nothing you can do can stop it. Fast forward the recording 365.25 days, and it is back where you started

Keep it in perspective, and remember Love is the important thing. Get closer or further away as you like

13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My hobbies were all chosen to serve double duty as both a way to keep myself busy in my spare time AND as ways to relive stress by giving me productive things to focus on. Music is the main one, with home recording being the hardcore side of it. Besides that, I am also into woodworking (though that's reserved for warmer weather) and target shooting (which obviously isn't for everyone, but punching lots of holes in paper sure does help me decompress).

14. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

15. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

koolaide likes this.
  16. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

I make smart a$$ comments in threads like this. Sorry couldn't resist.

Seriously I, most of us have been there. For me, I find something to do, occupy my mind, and I remind myself this will pass. It'll be what it will be.
    When one thing quits working I find something else. For example: I worked in the yard for about 2 hrs today. I then spent a couple of hours in the shop putzing around. Now I am killing time reading post here and surfing the web.

Hang in there. Life has a way of working out much better than the thoughts/feelings in our head.

Peace,
    Jim

LunarSlingShot and Shuster like this.
  17. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

One of the things I do to help relieve stress is to partake in OP's aforementioned activities. It truly does help (me at least) to relax and to forget about all of the bull.

I also very much enjoy taking my newly adopted dog for walks and just spending time with him. Finally, I try to get as immersed as I can into music. I put the headphones on, close the shades, tune out the world, and just let it all go. Feeling the music flowing through me puts me in a state of bliss.

A man MUST have his hobbies.

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  18. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

During the most stressful period of my life, I bundled up every day for the winter weather and turned a pile of 160 year-old roof timbers into firewood, with a bow saw. Five or six hours of that will lower most folks' blood pressure pretty effectively. I took my time, moving large and heavy trusses on my own and I removed thousands of nails and other fastenings, as I went.

My hands would disagree- but it was therapy. With power tools, I could have done the whole job in about a week. That wasn't the point.

koolaide and Frodebro like this.
  19. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

20. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Yet one more vote for serious cardio exercise. The endorphin rush is a wonderful substitute. Running was great until I got too old for my back to tolerate it, so cycling is now my rush. Physically it flushes the body out of all that pent up stress, but it also puts you in a different brain wave state and is a great way to problem solve the junk of life. Better sleeping is also another benefit. Your lungs will likely complain until you get yourself in shape, but ultimately you'll live longer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.