What do you do to let out pent up aggression?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LunarSlingShot, Mar 26, 2020 at 10:16 AM.

1. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

Furious masterbation

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

careful, you'll poke yer eye out!

P Thought, skunqesh, getbent and 2 others like this.
  3. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

After reading the OP try NA meetings. If you cant function without a substance, be it booze or pot or meth or coke, you need help.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Play music, play video games, go to 12 step meetings, call guys and talk about what's bothering me and read books.

5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Exercise has been good medicine for a long time. Not a go to gym type but keep active and keep at it. Now long ago it was part of getting unhealthy matters in my life under control. It took more than a year of staying at it and then it was easy.

Some things like my mountain biking, skiing or fooling with my long board are particularly good because the concentration required gets your mind free from other stuff.

I do have a lot of empathy right now. I'm in leadership in a crazy sector of "essential worker". I'm feeling the medicine I preach here even with crazy long days. Last night I forced a 1.5 mile walk in the cold rain. The change and what exercise does to heart rate was a free and effective drug.

A good well balanced diet and working hard to have meal time with the kids has been effective medicine.

Seek help. Years ago I was laughed at for reading a book about your brain at work but that was helpful. I keep a crib sheet with a few quotes from that and other good sources.

I wish you luck and can't change any policies you're under but I can say this learn to moderate, be active and think about what your brain does at work made all the difference. It also takes time. It was a year+ of diet, exercise and general moderation when it became sustainable and easy.

Good luck.

P.S. I also made time to do volunteering. It might sound crazy but that puts you in a circle of good people doing good things. You can bring your family into it. It's not just helped me but I see it's become something one of my kids keeps at.

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Afflicted

"I also made time to do volunteering. It might sound crazy but that puts you in a circle of good people doing good things."

+1,000

That is not only good for the mind, it's good for the soul and the spirit. Volunteering taught me there are many, many people that do not have the blessings in life I have. And I am not a religious person in the least--so don't interpret this as preaching. But it's true.

tah1962 likes this.
  7. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

See if your employer has an EAP program allowing you access to counselors or other professionals.

8. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

Prior to that which cannot be mentioned I went to the gym 5 or 6 times a week. Now in the midst of that which cannot be mentioned, I have a professional grade exercise bike, which I purchased 13 years ago and is still going strong, and I just bought a bench and some dumbbells off of Craigstlist and will continue to work out 5 or 6 times a week.

I have no problem with adult substances, even though I don't use them myself, but they don't fix anything, they just hide the problem.

stinkey, skunqesh and tah1962 like this.
  9. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

I’m thankfully retired so I don’t have the stress from work anymore. However, I was about to crawl out of my skin from being couped up in the house all day. Last week I started taking a long walk in the mornings. I can’t believe something that simple has helped so much. As others have recommended, get into some type of exercise routine. Doing anything productive that can divert your focus from work, or the 24/7 media coverage of our new reality is a benefit. Hang in there brother.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 11:52 AM
    Shuster likes this.
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Put that energy into good use. I split wood: IMG_3078.JPG

stinkey, NightOwl, Flaneur and 7 others like this.
  11. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

Lots of options and some really good suggestions here.
    I highly recommend talking therapy with a licensed professional trained to deal with your specific issues.
    Whatever you end up choosing, this is something you can begin with now
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaphragmatic_breathing

telemnemonics likes this.
  12. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

1897086951-frustration_o_674220.jpg Prove 3M Wrong!!!:twisted:

13. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Maybe a new job?

14. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

Does your employer's change in policy also include random or periodic testing?

15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Run, run, and run some more until you drop. Don’t listen to music, don’t zone out your mind by taking it someplace to hide.

That’s what I do, anyways. There are other elements to this I can’t really discuss here. But yeah, guitars.

LunarSlingShot and brookdalebill like this.
  16. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

From Slash to Jim Hall?!?
    Good for you!!!

17. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

and some seriously Physical effort.
    It's not gonna work in the scheme of things right now - but any kind of competition is pretty good. Tennis, racquetball, hoops, soccer. I'm not too sure about the less physical sports like golf darts pickleball bowling pool... but having a focused outlet can be helpful. Splitting wood would probably be pretty great too - maybe @Obsessed could use a hand!

The changing habits thing is really hard, and as others have advised - might require some help.

18. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Ill be 70 at the end of this ( just around the corner ) year. I don't have anything pinned up anymore. I flat out don't give a DAMN! What is-Is. One thing I know for sure, I aint dying young.

getbent likes this.
  19. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Holic

I sometimes vent on the volunteer grammar/spelling police.
    it makes me feel better.

Sorry for the sarcasm. I know this can be a serious thing.
    but to put it as simply as possible- for me, being aware of my mood and temperament is a start, but my response is usually to both recognize the causes and triggers, and remind myself the mood and temperament are a choice on my part. I am responsible for, and in control of me.
    Others? I accept that I cant fix that.

Frodebro, getbent and LunarSlingShot like this.
  20. TelecasterBlooz

TelecasterBlooz Tele-Afflicted

Chainsaw...firewood. An axe helps.

getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.