What do you do to let out pent up aggression?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LunarSlingShot, Mar 26, 2020.

1. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

I'm having a bit of a tough time right now. I do not want to break any rules, so I will be vague.

My job is incredibly stressful and even more so with current circumstances. My life is generally very stressful as a single income family and even more with current circumstances.

For years I handled all of my stress and pent up aggression by using a substance that has just recently started to become less taboo and legal in parts of the US. I never felt overly stressed. I was never really angry in my day to day life.

Three weeks ago my job changed it's policies and I was required to sign a document stating that I could be let go from my place of employment if I used said substance even if I was doing so in accordance with laws in my state. This is not an option anymore as I have a responsibility to my family to stay employed.

I was ok for a week. But the last two weeks I have been feeling a pit in my stomach and I am having to really bite back words and actions and I just feel as if at some point the pot is going to boil over and I am going to just explode. I'm depressed and I don't know how to handle it and I need some sort of outlet.

Guitar helps, but there is only so much angry punk rock music you can play or write before it doesn't help any longer.

2. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

Like you, I'm totally stressed out right now... working 16hrs a day since this whole thing started and haven't left the house in 4 days.

I've been thinking about running or biking... seems like a good way to clear your head, exhaust yourself, and get some exercise.

Just a thought... hang in there brother and stay away from the substances... they only mask the issue until another time.

skunqesh, Censport, tah1962 and 2 others like this.
  3. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

See a doctor.

String Tree, RodeoTex, Jlwctn and 5 others like this.
  4. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

I just beat up my cat...

8trackmind, unixfish and 8barlouie like this.
  5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

heavy bag in basement....have workout area & also chop wood

stinkey, Danb541, getbent and 7 others like this.
  6. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Meister

Thai boxing and cycling took care of it for me...

stinkey, tah1962 and LunarSlingShot like this.
  7. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

5935ABB0-576A-4CE1-942A-0279A79C1B9F.jpeg

8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

a guitar forum is not necessarily the most efficient resource; as mentioned above, medical professionals are usually better equipped. No offense intended to the practitioners here on TDPRI...

Seems like you've made at least one important step, though - recognizing two problems: 1) need for anger management and 2) reliance on a substance that is prohibited by your employer.

There are lots of online resources to get started, here's one:

https://www.online-therapy.com/star...MIs-WJ-K246AIVAm6GCh0FmA5hEAAYAiAAEgLw_fD_BwE

As others have mentioned, exercise and meditation are tools that have been used for centuries to restore equilibrium.

Best of luck with your challenges - stay in touch with people that care about you and don't neglect the opportunity to let them know what's going on.

9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Exercise

The gym is closed, so don’t worry about being in a room full of muscle heads and meat gazers.

Outdoors is the answer my friend.
    Walk bike jog run skate
    Whatever you like at whatever level you are comfortable.

Get out of the house.
    Unplug.
    Allow time to formulate original thought.
    Bring your phone, but don’t look at it.

10. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Meister

Music therapy
    Listening or playing or both
    Channel the energy into something positive

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

meditation

12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

i work 5 hrs shifts 4 days a week, but my job is one where I lift 50lb boxes non stop for the whole period with out a break ( the no breaks is my choice as I stiffen up when I stop) so i have become increadably strong over a relativily short period of time . this activity allows this old man to burn off aggression and work through problems in my head to find solutions to issues .

being idle to sweat the issues plaguing you will not help , because humans are designed to try to escape problems rather than facing them straight on and looking for alternative avenues of decision, keep busy ,really busy and once the anxiety passes you may find the solutions ......at least this works for me

RodeoTex likes this.
  13. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Aggressive physical things, like strenuous exercise, or anything that wipes you out in a positive way (i.e. physically exhausted due to exertion, and not being wrecked as the result of treating yourself poorly in any way), along with whatever it takes for you to handle the source/cause of these feelings mentally, spiritually etc. (it can be mediation to help better handle the stresses of life, or moving into a less stressful career, or any number of things).

So the physicality helps in the short term (being angry takes energy, so make less energy available for it), and the mental/spiritual/whatever bit helps in the long term (addressing why you have these feelings [crucially] to the degree that you do).

telepraise and Tommy Biggs like this.
  14. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Hang in there cos in the long run its good to be independent from said substances anyhow.
    Apart from physical exercise the only advice I can give is that probably the biggest power you have is your ability to choose. So keep thinking of your choice before action and it may start to help over time (about 6 weeks to form/break a mental habit).

You got this.

skunqesh, tah1962 and LunarSlingShot like this.
  15. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Agreed. With no commentary on the actual use of the thing (nor knowledge of the OP beyond what he's shared here), I think it's best to have as few dependencies as possible. I didn't even like being used to having a little coffee at work ~3pm.

I knew a guy who used (what I suspect to be) the same thing enthusiastically, basically forever. He had to stop for a time because of reasons, and was absolutely insufferable for a short while. He eventually leveled out, though.

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  16. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

My guitar or my sax. On my sax, I start out sounding like Boots (or a reasonable facsimile). After a while I go to Getz. Totally relaxed by then.

Guitar goes from Slash to Jim Hall. Same results.

dan1952 likes this.
  17. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have resorted to that once. It happened 42 years ago. Enough said.

Oops! I thought you said you beat up your car! :confused:

18. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Afflicted

I don't suffer from pent-up aggression because I'm not an aggressive person.

But life sure is stressful, and I find that my own stress level rises when I don't expend sufficient energy to keep the stress in check. The activity doesn't have to be an hour-long workout in the gym; it can be something as simple as a 45-minute walk around the neighborhood. Not a leisurely stroll, but a brisk cardio-level hike.

Two days ago I split half a cord of firewood (old-school, with an axe), and even though I woke with a stiff back, mentally I was in a much better place.

Treadplatedual, tah1962 and 8barlouie like this.
  19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’d tell ya’, but it’s against the rules.
    One of the blessings of being old(er) is wisdom.
    Though I have not attained it, I do strive for it.
    Anger and frustration never go away, how you cope is up to you.

20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I can echo the prescription of strenuous exercise and meditation. Currently, in spite of the circumstances, I have access to a fully equipped weight room (I work at a school that has no students atm), and there's nothing quite like getting under some heavy weight for focusing the mind and burning up some tension. You can't just leap into it of course, but training that take you to the edge of your strength and/or endurance is good mental therapy in a few different ways. If you wanna lift heavy stuff, you don't even need to spend a lot of money: the world is FULL of dudes who thought they were gonna get huge and now have a weight set rusting away somewhere. And almost everybody has a sofa or a fridge or something!

Coming at it from the other side, I find meditation really helpful, not just for the relaxation and mental clarity, but also as a way into realizing how much of my daily stress is actually generated by ME. It was a very valuable resource for me 30 years ago when I decided to let go of that substance that's getting legal everywhere these days. There are a lot of different ways to do it, and you can get benefit from even a little bit done daily.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.