1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What do you do to get out of a musical rut?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Leonardocoate, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^^^^^Everything he said.:D

2HBStrat likes this.
  2. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Tell us what “same stuff” means so that we may better assess your predicament.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  3. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

I agree with this whole post. In my case, when I experienced this the first time decades ago, I took lessons. This forced me to practice, and I learned how to learn and how to teach myself after the lessons ended.

I'd also recommend learning new songs. I'm not talking about playing simple chords. I'm talking about learning chords, lead, and bass parts from start to finish. Improvise over the changes.

Leonardocoate and StevesBoogie like this.
  4. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I pretty much stopped playing for a while, gave up buying guitar magazines and kept off websites. The break did me good and I find myself learning stuff I'd skipped past years ago. Right now I'm cherry-picking licks and riffs from Jon Chappell's Rock Guitar for Dummies and spicing up my stale mediocre repertoire.
    Bit by bit I'm reducing my guitar and amp collection too and feel better for it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.