1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

what do you consider to be the greatest technological advancement in your lifetime

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by doctorunderhill, Jun 12, 2020.

1. po-boy

po-boy Tele-Holic

i was also going to say the lunar landings, but i have to agree with Irondog and say the Hubble space telescope -

really looking forward to see what we can learn from the James Webb space telescope when it becomes operational -

also have to consider the Mars rovers ... satellites Cassini, Juno, Voyager ...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Irondog likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The copperheads and black widows aren't entirely essential to an outdoor toilet, but are a common accessory for one out in the sticks in Alabama. :lol:

telestratosonic likes this.
  3. Rjelecaster

Rjelecaster Tele-Meister

Probably message boards like this one and youtube as well. It would not surprise me to read somewhere that the leap in knowledge transfer geographically as well as across generations and cultures due to these mediums would be the greatest since printing was invented.

tubegeek likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Civil rights was a pretty big tech advancement.

Before that, we in the US as well as everywhere else I guess, assumed immigrants or anyone who was a different color than the indigenous pop, was only good for physical labor. Plus maybe music and cooking.

Seems getting that first manned US space flight relied heavily on African American ladies for the thinking and ciphering.
    Until we discovered that those strong backed folks had brains too, we had a smaller number of tech experts, engineers, and scientists.

Now look at how big our tech and engineering workforce is since we decided those furriners and women were smart enough to be allowed into higher ed, and put in charge of important stuff?

Really, since the discovery of fire, (stuff we knew already existed but didn't know was useful), what other ah ha moment has had as big a positive impact on progress?
    If once again, the only humans allowed into our engineering departments were white Euro spawn men, imagine how many engineers we would lose.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  5. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

Most of the technological stuff mentioned wouldn't have happened without the invention of the transistor. Solid state paved the way for everything else.

6. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Personal computers and the internet are big ones, but cheese spread in a pressurized can comes close.

7. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Twangs like a Telecaster!
    Ash or alder?
    Wait, is that pine?
    Oooh, old tech!

trapdoor2 likes this.
  9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Give a man a bamboo pole and you feed him until it breaks, but you give a man a Popeil pocket fisherman and you feed him until it breaks...

10. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Fiber.

11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Probably the cell phone

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I really liked the tongue and cheek posts and was fascinated by the posts that spoke directly to technology, including posts about computers, iPhones, the transistor. That said, a technological advance as far reaching as the Industrial Revolution has occurred in my lifetime, 1950 to 2020.

That greatest technological innovation is computer control. When I was a kid, we turned things on and off. There may have been circuits inside, but they were dumb, even when transistorized. We had computers by the time I was in high school, but they were data processors. They were controlled. The F-14 was the last fighter jet made from blueprints. Its successors were designed on computers and were manufactured using parts made on computer controlled machines. Products I work with on my day job are self training through artificial intelligence. We now have self driving cars and self driving spacecraft, all computer controled. This revolution seems like it's been slow in coming, but it isn't anywhere near over yet. Henry Ford was identified with the last revolution, as was Leo Fender. This one is the revolution of Elon Musk. I have no idea what will come next. I don't think Leo Fender could have predicted the technological revolution we're living through now. It's a heluva time to be alive. I wonder how the story will end.

13. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

oops - in my lifetime.

CRISPR

14. Toto'sDad

I'm thinking the microwave oven has done more for MAN kind than any other invention. You could live long and prosper just eating the things you can stick in there. Jimmy Dean is your friend!

Jlwctn, trev333 and edvard like this.
  15. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

The transistor, because it made solid state guitar amplifiers possible and rendered tubes obsolete.

Recce, stevemc, Toto'sDad and 4 others like this.
  16. RobDaglish

RobDaglish TDPRI Member

That’s brave... or stupid. I keep getting the two confused

17. RobDaglish

RobDaglish TDPRI Member

Yeah, I know where you’re coming from, but before I was born I’m afraid!
    One of the best pre computerised (pre-electronics, even) control system I ever saw was in a nuclear power plant. The scientists building it in the early 1950s had thought long and hard about what they were doing, and managed to design pneumatic and hydraulic control and safety systems for the reactors, with very limited electrical control systems.

basically everything worked on using opposing pressures to keep things where they needed to be, or get them where they should be or shut down safely if required. Very simple in that anyone could understand it, but to work it all out originally can’t have been easy...

The control systems never got upgraded, just some additional monitoring added over time, as they realised that with no electronics it was immune to any EMP type attack!

as for where it will all end, that’s easy. As soon as the machines are smart enough to realise the biggest danger to life on the planet is human, we’re done for.

18. Toto'sDad

I was having a conversation with my younger son one day, and I was admiring a mutual friend's generosity in helping his kids financially through life. He said you know that is good, but the things you and mom taught my sister and I have made it so that we don't need financial assistance, we can make it on our own!

Jlwctn likes this.
  19. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In MY Lifetime?

That's easy: When we discovered we could crack open Nuts using Rocks.
    We Partied!!!

20. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Ronco sprays away the bald with our patent pending special blend of rubberized undercoat spray and paint!

TheGoodTexan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.