What do you as a Bad Dog member actually think of a Telecaster?

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have never been a big fan of the neck or the bridge PU's in Teles, that has always been my biggest hang up. That being said, I love the tones that Roy Buchanan gets out of them, especially on his second album. I once owned a AVRI 52 Hot Rod, and I kick myself for selling it. It was a different beast as it has a mini hum bucker (Seymore Duncan) in the neck which for me fills out the sound quite a bit. I may end ups buying another one one of these days. I miss that guitar. I currently have no Teles, and aside from the Hot Rod, I'm not jonesing for one. .
I played a Hot Rod one time it was cool it is having that little humbucker. I had an AVRI 52 at the time. I seem to remember the Hot Rod having a different radius on the neck than my 52, but that was quite a while back, I could be mistaken.

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I played a Hot Rod one time it was cool it is having that little humbucker. I had an AVRI 52 at the time. I seem to remember the Hot Rod having a different radius on the neck than my 52, but that was quite a while back, I could be mistaken.
I believe that 52 you had has the 7.5" radius where as the Hot Rod has the 9.5..

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Thank you for confirming what I remembered. The Hot Rod I played was a really nice guitar, had I not already had the 52 I would probably have bought it. I'm not about to jump back on the GAS train, because I rode that baby a long way, but if I ran onto a Hot Rod at a decent price, I would probably be tempted to get it.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
They're pretty good- a wonderful piece of industrial design, but they've also perpetuated some clearly make do elements from Leo Fender's tinkering days. Things like the wacko bridge and the Ferris wheel selector switches seem to clearly be leftovers from fishing in a spare parts drawer for something that could be made to serve. All in all a pretty neat invention, but the prices charged for them can be way out of whack with the manufacturing costs.

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
i've owned several teles, but own not a one right now. every time i get one, i do the same thing: i love it for maybe a month, then i start hearing something i don't like. i think the problem is that it doesn't sound like a strat and a strat is what i want to hear. i'll probably own another one sometime, but i'm not really GASing for one anymore.

but i'd still like to own a white one with a maple fretboard.

Who knows.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
They're pretty good- a wonderful piece of industrial design, but they've also perpetuated some clearly make do elements from Leo Fender's tinkering days. Things like the wacko bridge and the Ferris wheel selector switches seem to clearly be leftovers from fishing in a spare parts drawer for something that could be made to serve. All in all a pretty neat invention, but the prices charged for them can be way out of whack with the manufacturing costs.
Amen, brother Amen!

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Thank you for confirming what I remembered. The Hot Rod I played was a really nice guitar, had I not already had the 52 I would probably have bought it. I'm not about to jump back on the GAS train, because I rode that baby a long way, but if I ran onto a Hot Rod at a decent price, I would probably be tempted to get it.
If I find one locally, I might take the plunge - again - so long as the price is reasonable. Seems to me, when I bought it in 2011 (new) it was $2500CDN. They're selling used, in mint to excellent condition for close to $3000CDN now.

Carl_Tone

Tele-Holic
So I have this Carlton style 24-3/4 Maple capped Mahogany with coil taps. With this I don't have worry about 'feeling like I'm in foreign territory' It's a beast, but my #1 is Yamaha 335

VAT_1A.jpg

Here's the Tele in few clips

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
If I find one locally, I might take the plunge - again - so long as the price is reasonable. Seems to me, when I bought it in 2011 (new) it was $2500CDN. They're selling used, in mint to excellent condition for close to $3000CDN now.
Man, I think that takes it right on out of my interest range! They are nice guitars though.

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
I hope they don't move this thread to a more guitar type forum, because I don't want to know what Tele aficionados think of the Tele, I would like to know what guys who post on here think of them.

The question is:

Do you actually like/love Teles, or are you just a creature of habit, and that not of your own doing, but by someone Elses opinion foisted upon you?

PS:

Everyone seems to love the sound of a Tele, if that is true; Why are there so many people who have posted that they have changed the pickups in theirs?
Yes, I love Telecasters! It took me awhile as I was a Strat lover even before I owned one, but once I figured out how to use the Tele bridge pickup off I went. I haven’t touched my one remaining Strat in years.

I love several things: the simplicity of just a tone & volume control, the easy ability to get such a wide palette of tones and perhaps most of all the “feel” of a Telecaster. It is the electric guitar that most closely responds like a flattop to playing dynamics and it just feels like one to me. I find the Tele can fit into about any playing situation. My AV62RI is one of my favorite guitars of any type ever, and that covers a truckload of ‘em.

I’ve only changed pickups once. My CVC bridge pup resisted all attempts to make it sound better so out it went and a ‘62RI pup is in there now.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
But, like a straight backed chair, like steel toed work boots, like winter coveralls, and like the venerable ray ban aviators... when it is work you want to get done, you get the tool that will demand you know what you are doing (the 27 oz vaughan framing hammer is not for a DIY guy)

E9CF5C43-F337-46A1-8A38-CC549EE5D8DE.jpeg

Tele on the left, LP on the right.

guitartwonk

Tele-Holic
I tend to gravitate more towards Strat type guitars these days. They’re more ergonomic, that’s the biggest benefit.

However, for a good 10 years or so before that I played Teles almost exclusively and one in particular that I still own. Every now and then I still reach for that Tele especially when writing new tunes.

So, I’m not really a “Tele guy” in a meaningful sense but for me they are still great guitars and I wouldn’t want to be without one.

Just like I use my multipurpose cordless drill for everything I possibly can, but sometimes I just want to dig out that trusty old flathead screwdriver with the paint flecks all over its gnarled wooden handle.

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
My feelings on Teles are the same as my feelings about children. I love mine, I’m generally not too keen on other people’s. 🤣

I’m not a fan of vintage appointments. In my opinion, almost every change made over the years was positive, and an improvement. Leo did not get it right the first time. But he was definitely on the right track.

Flatter radius? Better. Bigger frets? Better. Modern six saddle bridges? Better. Modern machine heads? Better. Headstock truss rod adjustment? Better. Noiseless pickups? Better.

Now all they have to do is get rid of that stupid jack cup. What a dumb design.

I like looking at vintage teles. They’re super cool pieces of history. And really beautiful. But I’ve played a ton of them, and it cured me of my need to own one. I’ll stick with my modern Tele. It’s totally amazing.
This is exactly why I LOVE my Rose Noventa.
It is MODERN. It is however an Esquire
1000% - Fender should get a serious verbal thrashing for that, THEY SUCK.
My Noventa is an Esquire PERIOD.
Which is another reason why I'm thrilled
She has a 1" Full D- Shape with Shoulders
Musikraft Neck with an Atlantic
City Boardwalk for Her Fretboard and
She has that Electrolux Jack Cup too.
I love the Half Bridge & must confess to
One & All - I don't know HOW I lived without a half bridge for the last 50 years, the Compensated 3 piece Saddle arrangement is lovely (the high E is gonna go up a teence - personal preference.)
And lastly & thankfully I got Slotted Tuners Thanks be to God. At 68 however much
time is left is unknown but I'm so grateful to be on this Side of The Garden. Strange
how a great Guitar can make me leave
my "DNR" medallion on the bureau.
I feel nice again.

Last edited:

aFewGoodTaters

Tele-Meister
I'm on this forum because I like the community here. Lot's of friendly folks and quite a bit of knowledge across the sub-forums.

I don't consider myself a Tele-first guy. I own a 50s Vintera Tele that I like quite a bit and use it when the song calls for that sound. If I had to pick one guitar, I'd probably go for a Strat as I learned on one and feel most comfortable with one to this day. I like most all guitars though, and think of them as tools for a job rather than having make / model loyalty.

zimbo

Friend of Leo's
I have a Tele plus with the lace sensors that I really like but the regular Teles never did anything for me. I'd take a strat.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
The telecaster body is the most comfortable for me to play. You just have to position them where they want to be, and not where you think you’d like them to be. Once I figured that out, nothing else fits like a Tele.

I love all my other guitars, and I actually play my Silver Sky more than my Tele. But the Tele is the most “fitted” to me physically.
“Comfort cuts” just seem to let a guitar slip away easier.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
“Comfort cuts” just seem to let a guitar slip away easier.
Or lean some way it shouldn’t. I don’t mind them on guitars that are supposed to have them. But a Tele works the way it works because of its playing position. I can’t wear one where I usually like to wear a guitar. It’s pretty uncomfortable. If I instead let the Tele decide where it wants to be, and adjust my strap to that position, a Tele works better than anything else for me. It’s more comfortable, and this is gonna sound stupid but I swear it’s true- it goes faster and plays cleaner.