What do y'all think of this one?

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I think it is legitimate but tremendously overpriced. look at all of his vintage listings. they are 50-100% over priced, all of them.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
some things seem a little weird but not incredibly troubling.

-headstock logo seems pre 65, but that is the year it changed.
-pickguard is one ply but by 63 they were all fitted with three ply

no skunk stripe so it is the maple cap. and the wear on the hardware looks real.

so idk. wonder when it's actually from and what the story is.

if you're trying to sell it for that much, you should at least have a bunch of gut shots.

Last edited:

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
The seller has 3000+ sales with a near perfect rating. I suspect it's legit. I'd buy it but with a 90% discount (that's what it's worth to me). Checking for online coupons now. :D

badfish_lewis

Tele-Meister
I see wear on the fretboard. Try looking at it a bit closer, on first glance I didn't really see it pop out because of the lighting.

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
I bought a ‘65 in 1981 that looked tougher than that one. It must’ve lived in its case in a climate controlled house for 56 years.

capitalbear

Tele-Meister
some things seem a little weird but not incredibly troubling.

-headstock logo seems pre 65, but that is the year it changed.
-pickguard is one ply but by 63 they were all fitted with three ply

no skunk stripe so it is the maple cap. and the wear on the hardware looks real.

so idk. wonder when it's actually from and what the story is.

if you're trying to sell it for that much, you should at least have a bunch of gut shots.

+1. Wrong logo, wrong pickguard, for the asked price there has to be a very good story & proof behind that.

fernieite

Tele-Meister
Nice looking tele!

As already mentioned, more photos of the neck heal, neck pocket, pots, etc, would be needed.

The pickguard is suspicious. Not only is it not a typical 3 ply, which this era of tele should have, but it also does not have the correct end tips that a vintage tele guard should have.

The tip at the top right by the neck joint should be round, and the one to the left should have a slight 45 degree tip to it.

I suspect that the pickguard is a replacement, and possibly not even a Fender replacement.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
The only tea I like is something a work colleague introduced me to: Trader joe's Organic Ginger Turmeric Herbal tea.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
The question to me is the guitar’s provenance. It’s either very expensive because it’s in exceptional condition for its age or it’s been reworked making it insanely overpriced. Provenance. In the absence of documentation, other proof of authenticity is needed. Is the seller known? Is the seller trustworthy? I’m not a collector. To me, it’s an expensive old guitar.