What do think will happen?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Davethecat, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Davethecat

Davethecat TDPRI Member

Hi, I would like to know if anyone has tried running a 9v pedal on 12v, I have a cheap pedal, a Joyo Crunch Distortion and only have a 12v option left on my power supply. I am willing to give it a go as it is my cheapest pedal but would like to have some idea of what to expect.

Thanks

2. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

Nothing good. Most likely it'll overheat and burn out. You need a 9V source? Get a 9V battery snap-top and wire it to a properly sized plug cut off from a AC/DC converter of some odd voltage you don't use. Better but more expensive, get D cell battery holder boxes, enough to hold 6 D cells, and wire those to a plug. 6 D cells will last 1,000 times longer than a single 9V.

3. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Plenty of gain pedals are over-engineered to withstand some extra juice; is that the case with this Joyo pedal? I have no clue. Definitely check with somebody that knows for sure (Joyo?) before doing so though.

Running 9V dirt pedals (that are cool to do such with) @ 12V is quite common, and I've done so with quite a few over the years. If the pedal can handle the extra juice, the typical result @ 12V would be increased headroom and decreased compression.

4. poiureza

poiureza Tele-Holic

Digital pedals might be a different story, but I have zero doubts about powering analog dirt pedals with 12V DC.
    As Tim said, the only effects will be less gain and more ouput volume on tap

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

As long as you don't let the smoke out, it shoud be fine.

6. RyanJH

RyanJH Tele-Meister

You're probably fine

Most capacitors will be rated for at least 16V, and most IC's and transistors can take at least 15V. You probably won't hurt anything.

-Ryan

7. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

This whole thread is a study of the word probably. Lets see what happens... just plug it in.

8. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

I smell smoke.....

9. Davethecat

Davethecat TDPRI Member

Thanks for all your thoughts, I will let everyone know what I decide and what happened next. I was considering the joyo as the loss I would suffer will be bearable if the pedal meets a smokey demise.

Cheers

10. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Buy a daisy-chain cable. Most distortion pedla

11. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Here I'll finish that for you..

.... Pedals draw very few ma and usually 2-4 can happily live on one tap of your power supply using a daisy chain cable. You don't need a dedicated tap for each pedal.

12. Davethecat

Davethecat TDPRI Member

Thanks for the input fellow pedal heads. What happened? Nothing, the joyo worked just the same as it always has, I cannot say at this stage if long term use with 12v will cause any damage but so far so good.

Cheers

13. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I've been running my entire board at 12 volts except for the times when I'm running some pedals at 18 volts.. No probs at all..

14. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

Open it up write the chip#s down and look them up. Most likely the ICs are designed to operate on 12 or 15 volts.

15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

The circuit should contain a voltage regulator chip that will keep it at the desired voltage with a range of input voltages. What that range is I wouldn't know without looking at the circuit, but 3V shouldn't be too much for the regulator to deal with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.