1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What do I have on my hands?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Nonserviam, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Nonserviam

Nonserviam TDPRI Member

Hello!

I've lurked your forum quite a bit over the years but this is my first post. I need a bit of help identifying the exact model of a telecaster I picked up in a trade. I was told it was a 2009 US made telecaster but that's all the information I received. I'd like to know what it is exactly so that I can accurately look up possible mods as well as the stock specs.

I have attached some picture below:

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help! :D

2. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

That's a beaut, love black & tort!

3. marsh99

marsh99 Tele-Afflicted

If you email the serial number to consumer relations at Fender they will tell you exactly what you have. Nice looking tele by the way. If it's USA made, I'm assuming it's an AV62, but check with Fender.

4. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

It's not an AV 62. The neck looks to be an American Special neck, but the body is throwing me.

5. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Could be a parts-caster...

6. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Yeah, something's different here. There wasn't an American Special neck in rosewood in '09 either so I'm thinking it's a partscaster or some limited edition. It isn't a '62 ri with that headstock and the body does look different. Hmm...

7. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Yep, some kind of parts guitar - the neck is probably from a Highway 1 Tele (they had rosewood boards and were still being made in 2009); the bridge kind of looks like the Highway 1 bridge as well. The body is likely a double bound aftermarket body - as others have said it doesn't quite look like the AVRI '62 body. You would have to take it apart to see if it still has the Highway 1 electronics or if they are also something else.

8. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Could be a Squier CVC black Tele body with a Highway 1 neck.

Nice guitar and welcome to the OP.

9. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

22 fret neck so not an AVRI. Quite likely a partscaster made with very nice components. It's a beauty - if it plays well and you got it for a good price, be happy with it!

10. indiobravo

indiobravo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

beautiful guitar!

11. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I don't know about Hwy 1 neck - I thought they had the old spaghetti-style logo, not the black one that looks like 70's or thinline style. some ad copy for HWY 1 specs:
    "...the Fender Highway One Texas Telecaster Electric Guitar is a genuine American Tele with a one-piece '52 maple neck with 12" radius, U.S. vintage hardware, jumbo frets, and vintage string-thru-body 3-saddle bridge with brass barrels."...plus only 21 frets
    the OP's bridge looks like it has stainless steel barrels, not brass.
    with 22 frets, would that be more likely American Standard neck?
    most likely partscaster, but a fine looking guitar. Might have to pull the neck off to see what info is available on the end of the neck or in the neck pocket.
    Also a photo of what's under the hood: wiring, plate on bridge pickup, etc.

12. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

A quick bit of Googling leads me to think that is an American Standard neck; I saw a few images online claiming to be that model with rosewood. The body ... who knows? But as has been said, if it plays great and you didn't pay an arm-and-a-leg, then it's a good guitar that also happens to look outstanding!

13. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Whatever it is, it's really pretty!

Welcome aboard, you'll like it here.

14. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

There were two types of logo used on the Highway One. Pre '06 it had the spaghetti logo, post '06 it was this one. The American Special took the place of the Highway One and the necks are still the same. 22 frets too. It's not a Highway One body however.

15. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

It's 100% not an American Standard neck, the logo is completely wrong for the Am Standard. I said at the top that it looked like an American Special, but as John C pointed it, it's actually a Highway One neck (they were essentially the same neck).

Nonservium - The safest thing is to send the serial to Fender who can give an accurate answer, but don't be surprised if the specs they give for the body don't match up to what you have.

16. Nonserviam

Nonserviam TDPRI Member

I have done just that and they finally got back to me. I turned to you guys hoping for some quicker insight but Fender came through this morning.

It's apparently a Highway One from '09. Thanks for the compliments and help!

17. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

That's the neck. Body is likely a CVC as others have stated since there's no double-bound highway one.

Enjoy the beauty!

18. Nonserviam

Nonserviam TDPRI Member

The body actually matches the description I received from Fender of "flat black" but I don't see anything on here regarding the double bound stripes. If what you say is true and there are no Highway One's with double binding then I have been ripped off, sad to say.

19. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

Can you reverse the deal? Was it a private trade or with a shop/retailer? There were definitely no double bound highway one models.

20. Nonserviam

Nonserviam TDPRI Member

This was a private trade. I am contacting the young man that traded me now as he has my old Gibson on Craigslist.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.