What do I have here?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Ripdoozer, Dec 27, 2016.

1. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

No. That is the output transformer.

JuneauMike likes this.
  2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Be sure to check back in here when your tech is finished working on the amp. Have pics, and sound samples if you can.

That's a cool amp and I think we're all interested in how you make out.

Thanks

3. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

Will do. I am gonna use it for a 4 hour gig tonight first though. Perfect venue to open her up and let 'er rip.

Thanks for the help everyone!

4. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

Replaced the bright red panty hose type stuff with a piece of burlap. Love it!

Attached Files:

robrob likes this.
  5. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

I also made a moving blanket case for it. Gotta save a few more dollars, then I will probably start updating the components. I've been going back and forth about leaving it alone or updating it. But it's a really cool amp and I would actually like to use it...for rehearsals and gigs. And it was a gift, so I will not be selling it. I am not concerned with "value". To me, its more valuable as a functional amp than as an item that sits on a shelf....

Attached Files:

6. JuneauMike

Good for you. I can't understand putting a musical instrument under glass and not playing it.

I can't really tell from your pictures, but one thing you might examine closely is the condition of the handle. If its in really terrible shape, you might consider removing it, storing it away, and replacing it with some leather that's in better shape. Sounds like this thing is gonna see more action than its been used to in recent years. Yahoo!!!

You can go back to the vintage handle in the future if you want. This would just be an insurance policy against the thing giving out and the amp becoming the latest victim of gravity.

But again, you are in the best position to see what condition its in.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/handle-fender-style-brown-strap

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    robrob likes this.
  7. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

So....It's go time. Ive got the amp all boxed up and am going to send it 100 miles away.
    The instructions are as follows...
    -Address any electrical component issues. Replace components and clean up wiring.
    -Move output transformer to chassis
    -Install new 8" speaker (Jensen MOD 8-20)
    -Install new 8' power cord
    -Install external speaker jack

But, now that it's ready to go, I am feeling a little but of reservation about killing off everything that makes it a '53 Harmony. Now, it's just going to be a rebuilt tube amp....a dang cool one though. If I want to use it, I have to rebuild it. If I want to keep it stock, it will have to sit in my basement and collect dust.

What are your opinions?

infiniteposse likes this.
  8. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

The other option is to do the repair myself. I am not a complete noob, and I know how to use a soldering iron, but I am scared of messing up up. I would be afraid of order the wrong components and causing some irreversible damage...

9. JuneauMike

I'm not an amp tech, but I assume what he's going to do is get a schematic for this amp, and begin testing the drift on all the components, or at least the critical components. He'll also play the amp. He may not change much of anything, or he may decide to change the filter caps, etc. Whatever. In any case, if he's gonna do major surgery on replacement components I'd expect him to give you a call first. Then you can decide how far you want to go. Really the critical work he's got to do is make sure you don't kill yourself or the amp by playing it.

If you wanted to get into amp DYI, this would be a place to start. I think this amp has sentimental value to you but I'm not sure its coveted by amp snobs, especially after its been modified. Most everyone would snap it up at the right price, but I don't know if they'd pay Vintage 5F1 prices for it. Am I wrong about that?

10. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

Nope, I would assume just a couple hundred bucks or so, and I am not really interested in value......
    I decided that I am sending her off! Today! I have no time to rebuild her myself. The tiny amount of free time that I have should be spent practicing the guitar. Ha! I will update upon return.

11. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

And it's off........before I could change my mind again. Gone! Out of my hands!

JuneauMike likes this.
  12. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

So, got the Harmony back today, complete with Jensen C8R, new components and an extension spkr out. Check it....
    1521327365600.jpg 1521327371645.jpg 1521327375271.jpg 1521327379484.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  13. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

My attempt at a recreation of the original grill cloth... 1522452068366.jpg

14. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

And it sounds... ..?

15. Dan Miller

Dan Miller Tele-Meister

I have a nearly identical Harmony H-191 to recap. Is there a way to hide the new caps in the old casings to retain the vintage look while benefiting from the new bits?

16. JuneauMike

Just seeing this now. Cool. Looks like you got a recap, replaced a couple of resistors (is that a 5w wirewound?) and that output transformer is out of the way.

How do you like the ceramic speaker compared to the old Alnico?

Did he give you the Alnico back?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.