1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What do cats think?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PastorJay, Aug 28, 2020.

1. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I had two cats.

The younger one died a few days ago, at almost 16 years old.

The older cat, Mimi, is either 17 or 18 depending on which of my daughters you believe. I just know that we got her the day that I got a voice mail asking "Daddy, can we have a kitten?" And before I had called back the kitten was in my house.

I was Mimi's fourth favorite person, out of five. But when my wife died, she immediately transferred her attention and affection to me. We've been friends since then. Maybe that was because she missed my wife, and I was the only person left living in the house? Or maybe she just knew I was the only one who'd feed her?

There's no evidence that Mimi misses her slightly younger frenemy at all. Her behavior hasn't changed a bit since the death.

Of course, her English isn't very good. And every sound she makes sounds about the same to me.

So I wonder what she's thinking about the cat who's gone.

2. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I find my cat to be good company as well.

3. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've wondered similar. We had one who died a couple months ago, and still have 3 dogs and another cat. The surviving cat doesn't seem to notice - the two cats were not close but not really antagonistic either. The dogs did notice a little bit but seem to have gotten used to Lilliputt being gone, and don't look for her anymore.

4. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

“I’m bitter because deep down I know that dogs are better too.“ - Cat

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    Deeve, Sparky1, Ed Driscoll and 4 others like this.
  5. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

First, sorry for your loss.

In truth, I think cats are thinking the opposite of what we think they're thinking. So if you're thinking she's not thinking about her little sister, chances are she is, I think.

Unless she's thinking the opposite of what I'm thinking, which is my second theory.

rangercaster, catdaddy, Alamo and 8 others like this.
  6. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

It is a good question. We've always had multiple cats in the house and we've seen very different behaviours. Some of them didn't seem to react at all when one of the cats shuffled off but we've had some whose behaviour changed, for a while, quite markedly. One example is a time when a tortie female died. The orange tabby who had grown up with her but was very independent, didn't cuddle with her or interact with her in any way, walked around the house meowing plaintively for weeks after. Calling for her? Who knows?

And I was originally going to respond "cats? think?".:D (Other than 'feed me', of course.)

I'm sorry for your loss. Pets are family, and we've lost a few over the years.

7. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

I have had three cats over the course of the past 12 years. At one point, they all lived together. The first and oldest cat, Samus, never really like either of the other two cats, and acts like a spoiled human kid. When we brought the youngest into the house, she instantly bonded with the middle cat. Almost like a two against one situation. I always thought the middle cat, Annie, had definite maternal instincts. When she died, I believe the youngest did sort of have a mourning. Not the older one, though. She is twelve now, and still super spunky. I would never predict it, but I think she is going to live for several more years. Cats need attention (maybe not all of them). I'm sure your cat wants your love....

catdaddy and fretWalkr like this.
  8. Collin D Plonker

We have a young cat, and my daughter has her litter-mate. When they were separated after several weeks at our home, we thought Tilly would be looking for her sister, though she did not. But whenever my daughter brings the other kitty, Orea, to our house, it's just like old times. They tear around the house like a couple of Tasmanian Devils. Maybe they are fiercely independent and are not overly connected to others.

fretWalkr and tintag27 like this.
  9. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

I had two cats, both rescue cats. They eventually tolerated each other as brothers, and could eat from the same bowl at the same time, and slept together on the sofa. Then the larger cat suddenly died on me on the kitchen floor, in my arms so to speak (probably heart attack or a stroke according to the vet), and the little cat brother immediately understood something was wrong. He spent several days meowing and searching for his big brother. It was heart breaking.

Now, he's planning to murder me.

DougM, catdaddy, kodiakblair and 10 others like this.
  10. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I am sorry for your lose . I have lost cat and I feel grief over their deaths.
    For a cynical and humorous exploration , (possibly pythonesque at its absurdist roots.)
    The enigmatic little buggers whom I love dearly, use the jedi mind trick to get you believe that your cat is yours when in fact they see us as theirs through hundreds of gestures and ques, while creating a bond between us and them centered around our becoming attached to them, a classic case of Stockholm syndrome
    black-and-white-cats-cute-kitten-photography-Favim.com-74693.jpg

Alamo, tomkatf, tintag27 and 7 others like this.
  11. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

Sparky1, wrathfuldeity, pi and 12 others like this.
  12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

05A81C7F-AF1C-4B12-A113-08A5A15097F4.jpeg
    Frankie and Notch alternately beat the hell out of each other . The most equally-matched combatants I’ve ever seen , even though Notch outweighs Frankie 2 to 1.
    They tolerate each other and seemed to just about tolerate my son who often holds them waaaaay longer than either would prefer.

Notch though, has taken to yowling down in the basement standing on my son’s desk now that he’s away at school.

My wife was flabbergasted - “that cat misses Gus ?! I didn’t know he liked him ?”

I just told her that cats get accustomed to their environment a certain way (much more than they do certain people) and when it changes - you’re gonna know.

MisterZ and tintag27 like this.
  13. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

Oh man, I am sorry that you lost your wife. I imagine that is something that you never do get over. Not sure what cats think, but I hope yours is a comfort to you.

14. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I have no idea what cats think, but I suspect it has something to do with rats.
    I've had several cats that would bring me huge, very dead rats and would position the rat with feline precision so that I would step on it when I swing out of bed in the pre-dawn dark.
    Now that I think about it, my last dog was worse. He would bring me live animals, mostly opossums, but also rats and squirrels.
    Nothing like waking up to the sound of a really angry opossum protesting it's captivity.
    Scary.

M

tintag27 likes this.
  15. Collin D Plonker

IMG_20191017_154251.jpg

I just realized I should not post about cats without attaching a photo. That's Orea on top and Tilly on bottom.

RomanS, tintag27, 39martind18 and 2 others like this.
  16. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

My daughter’s cat recently dumped a dead bird in the dining room and she said bad kitty etc... I’m sure the cat was thinking “Ok now you see what I’m capable of and I expect some changes around here” The other thing he thinks beside feed me is, I could pee on that.

17. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. You're right you never really get over it. 3 and 1/2 years later, I can assure you that's true. The fog eventually lifts in something between 6 months and two years for most people. It did for me at almost 6 months to the day. But the idea that you have "closure," whatever exactly that is, really just means that you have a new not quite normal you get used to. And then you go on with your life.

18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

They think: "Can i make that jump and knock that stuff off onto the floor in one smooth motion?"
    Afterwards: "I'll just lay here and lick my paws nonchalantly like I didn't mess that up"

But seriously, I'm glad you are giving her a good spot in her last years.

19. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

This cracks me up, but i think a 7 years old kid lives in my head.

61fury likes this.
  20. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

I don’t understand cats. Cats understand cats and they hate each other.

CajunJ and RoyBGood like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.