What did you want to be as a kid? And how did that turn out?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Jan 19, 2019.

1. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Have you never heard of Tiger Woods?

dan1952 likes this.
  2. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I wanted to be a Cop. Still did when I graduated high school but at 18 was too young, so I joined the Air Force to pass the time until I turned 21. Stayed in the Air Force for 21 years which turned out to be the right thing for me. I have a pretty large vigilante streak so me being a police officer probably isn't in anyone's best interest.

Jim622, tery and Chicago Matt like this.
  3. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I wanted to be an Astronaut, fly the space and explore The Moon and Mars... I am geologist and have been digging tunnels and mines for 20 years

I wanted to play like Chuck Berry and Keith Richards... well I got my band and now just want to play like me, just PLAY

tery and Chicago Matt like this.
  4. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

I wanted to be a doctor or a rock star. I married a doctor and play guitar in the evening after work. Maybe when the kids are older, I'll dust off the rock star dream and play a couple gigs.

tery and Chicago Matt like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

To all you guys who wanted to be Keith Richards.....I wonder, when he was younger, did Keith Richards ever really want to be Keith Richards?????

tery likes this.
  6. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

They wrote them about me ;):) … (I think) :lol:

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  7. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think he wanted to be Muddy Waters - kind of the same thing...

JustABluesGuy and nojazzhere like this.
  8. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Indded. People go into that field to figure out why they're crazy. Except for the one guy I know who's wife is a psychiatrist. She went into it to figure out why he was crazy.

Neither do most musicians, or others who start a business to do what they like to do. Unless what they like to do is run a business.

tery likes this.
  9. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I remember listening to "Swalbr" off "Disraeli Gears" around age 10 and thinking, hmmm is that guy using some sort of thing that turns the guitar on and off really fast to make it sound like he's playing really fast? (Turns out it was the drum roll at the end of the riff, but what did I know). I did get an engineering degree and did design a commercial MIDI guitar preamp that is long gone (though the company that employed me still exists). I didn't do a square wave tremolo on that one, just a sine wave one. "Twin Peaks" was popular at the time. But I did not stay in the music biz after that dried up due to disappointing sales. I sure felt like I'd arrived though!

Recently I got back into doing some FX design for a hobby and did make a square wave tremolo. But my day job is doing tech support for a security software company. Don't laugh, I only have to be at the office one day a week.

The other thing I had considered in high school was photography or photo-journalism. I thought I was a decent photographer for awhile and spent a lot of time in the darkroom. That sort of went by the wayside in favor of electronics, and eventually, playing music (I didn't really start in earnest until I got into college).

Jim622 and tery like this.
  10. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

I’ve started a couple of businesses and closed them down, one after a few months, one after a few years. I mainly like technology. I’m pretty good at it in general. Jeanne’s daughter started night shift service desk where I currently work and she overheard someone say, “Carl knows Unix like you know your name.” :)

I’m working on my home network just finishing getting Spacewalk, three Nagios monitoring servers, a Jenkins, Gitlab, and a Kubernetes cluster upgraded and working. I have an ELK server and Artifactory server to finish plus getting my first Terraform script working. I still want to improve my configuration management with Ansible and Puppet.

Fun stuff but I’m much happier doing this (plus some programming) than running a business. Kind of the same with management. I’ve tried management and I’m not good at it. I want folks to like me :)

Carl

tery and Digital Larry like this.
  11. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

When I was a kid, I mostly wanted to be bigger. I was always on the smaller side - 5'7", and weighed around 125 well into my 30s. Well, I probably should have been more specific with my wishes. I got bigger all right, but I'm still 5'7".

Pixies2005, Shuster and tery like this.
  12. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I didn't like being told what to do, so I left school at 16 and moved out of my (disappointed) parents' house, soon after. I was a friendly easy-going kid- and I didn't discriminate- I got on well with the sporty kids, the academics and the nerdy outsiders.

I spent my working life in social work, usually government sponsored. I still like sports, some of my best friends are academics ( I paid my way through college, in my 30s)….but I'm not as approachable as I once was. Talking and playing nice, with folks who aren't very pleasant, seems like work, after 40+ years.

tery likes this.
  13. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

I wanted to be a pro athlete, but couldn't decide between hockey, baseball and tennis. And I wanted to be a rock star. I've had a great time as a beer-league athlete and a weekend rocker.

Working as an IT geek has paid the bills.

Jim622 and tery like this.
  14. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

That was WAY before TW! Billy Casper and Lionel Hebert didn't have throngs of screaming IHOP waitresses chasing them around. However...all the neighborhood girls came down to Steve Craig's garage to hear our band butcher a medley of Louie Louie, Farmer John, and Hang On Sloopy. 13 year old groupies rock!

15. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I wanted to be an architect.

I own a trucking business.

tery likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.