1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What did you get for your 60th birthday

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by golfnut, Jul 20, 2020.

1. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I was merely answering the question posed by the thread. I got nothing. In my answer, I offered an explanation as to why I got nothing. I’m sorry if that went against your sensibilities.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

2C0F0144-52B2-4F3B-9738-E93B2255C1C3.jpeg My wife wanted to buy me something more special than usual since living to 60 is a bit of a milestone.
    We’re on a low budget though and I’d been trying to find a semi hollow I liked and could afford for a few years so I looked harder and tried lots of the better imports.
    Bought an EXL-1 first which is the big Jazz full hollow, nice but feedback prone above conversation volume.
    Traded it back in and got this one, very happy with the overall quality but I’m still not a fan of humbuckers clean sound.
    Really nice guitar none the less and a nice sentiment.

3. frank a

frank a Tele-Meister

I have socks older than you!!!

4. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Steak & Eggs for breakfast .

golfnut and 8barlouie like this.
  5. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I don’t remember a gift, but I think I remember the night: very casual dinner out with my wife, best friend and older brother then home to watch a good boxing match, the latter accompanied by my dog, guitar and a glass of Balvenie Doublewood.

tery and 8barlouie like this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know yet :twisted:

tery likes this.
  7. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

It's not really a downer, as such, but after (62 years, in my case) it's just that they don't seem as relevant - in fact, I haven't really made a fuss since I was in my 30s. Funny - my last anniversary was our 40th, but we really didn't make a big fuss over that, either. I guess we're just partied out!

[​IMG]

8. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

I got good tickets for the by-God Rolling Stones in Orlando.

I was a happy camper:):cool:

golfnut and 8barlouie like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't remember being Sixty!

Togman, scrapyardblue and 8barlouie like this.
  10. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

The world is your oyster! Now is the time to decide where you want to be at 60, plot it out--make it happen. Enjoy!

guitarist232345 likes this.
  11. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I had never been to NYC until 2016 when we visited our daughter, who was in grad school at NYU at the time. We spent six days in Manhattan and I ended up (much to my surprise) loving it! Not saying I want to live there, but what a great place to visit.

frank a and hdvades like this.
  12. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Another year older

willie likes this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

This was Thanksgiving Day 2018, my 60th

A few of my guitar buddies ( knowing I have a gigging Martin D, but expressed interest in Blueridge guitars and 000 style guitars) bought me this wonderful BR-163.

It is all solid Sitka/ Pau Ferro, and the same on fretboard and bridge.
    It is a comfy player, loud, and just beautiful too.
    I play it daily at home and will eventually use it at gigs once it gets a pickup, but no rush. Playing it now!
    20190606_081953.jpg 20190606_082250.jpg

telemnemonics, golfnut and tery like this.
  14. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like birthdays but don’t remember what I got for my sixtieth. Not something memorable. That would have been 2 1/2 years ago.

15. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

A hand tooled buffalo hide guitar strap.

Togman, tery and golfnut like this.
  16. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I'm sure my 40th anniversary won't be too big a fuss but for my 30th a few years ago we renewed our vows in a ceremony that far eclipsed our wedding day followed by a trip to Jamaica.
    My wife wanted the big fuss a lot more than I did but I was glad it happened. My youngest child (daughter) arranged it as a gift to us.
    We actually talked about a renewal of vows for our 7th anniversary that never happened then our 25th that never happened. My wonderful daughter made sure it happened on our 30th.

bsman likes this.
  17. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic

I just celebrated my 60th this past Saturday. My wife & I don't exchange gifts but 2 years ago for her 60th, took an Alaskan cruise & spent some days in Seattle, per her request. Our plans for my 60th was a couple of weeks in Ireland, but obviously that has been postponed. Hopefully we'll be able to make next year.

Happy Birthday!

frank a and Togman like this.
  18. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I've always played down birthdays. Five good friends of mine go out for a nice meal together on our birthday's. No presents. Birthday boy or girl gets to choose the wine, and pay for it. It is too easy to drift away from friends, I always look forward to our evenings, and this keeps us together. One of the nicest was when my dad died on my friends birthday, I really did not want to go to, but so glad I did.

I retired in the summer of 2017 just a couple of months before my 60th. My wife took me to Venice, first or executive class train travel, chauffeur driven cars between stations, private water taxi in Venice from the station to the hotel. The hotel sits on the Grand Canal just a couple of minutes walk from St Marks and was used by Prince Charles and Camilla the last time they stayed in Venice. My wife loved it and was so pleased with herself having arranged it all at great expense. I hated it, it was just not me, I tried my best to enjoy it and appear to be appreciative, but struggled.

Togman likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

So Saturday a guy I sort of grew up with but was three years younger was riding one of his bikes in his general neighborhood and collided with a car, putting my semi friend in the morgue.
    The driver of the car is in critical condition so no clear info on the cause, but no alcohol and I suspect it was the common car driver lack of attention.
    Dead at 57 is a reality!
    Still alive at 60?
    Only 100 or so years ago, the 60yo man was quite uncommon.

As for me, I was a NYC junkie at 35 so being alive today makes me a freak of nature.
    Maybe also at the "milestone" of 60 I can entertain the idea of getting a little better at something.

No offense to 70 year olds but in my case any getting better at stuff is likely not in my future, so grabbing at a chance might be more urgent. Now too, seems like a time to take a look at what we may be putting off, what we may one day wish we tried sooner.

I called my sponsor in my 12 step recovery program yesterday to see how he was doing, partly because he rides too and folks are crazy these days. Turns out he and his wife decided to sell the house and buy a motor home, hitting the road and looking for whatever they might have missed. Got a little custom trailer to bring the Harley behind the motor home.
    He must be about 60 now.

8barlouie and golfnut like this.
  20. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My 60th birthday was celebrated with a party on a canal boat in Amsterdam. We set up a band area and everybody took turns playing! There were friends from all around the world, over two hundred well wishers! It was a lot of fun and very humbling to see so many friends who took the time to travel to Amsterdam just for my birthday. It was a time I'll never forget. Here's a photo from that night.... 550881_4034818789735_1356310533_n-1.jpg
    It seems so long ago.....

RJ

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.