1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What did you get for your 60th birthday

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by golfnut, Jul 20, 2020.

1. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

LOL...you'll get over it!

guitarist232345 and Fretting out like this.
  2. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Nice. The mustang is my favorite car even though I've never owned one. I'd like to own an older one, 65, 69, etc. I am planning on one for my 65th.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    stormsedge likes this.
  3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I was on my way to NYC to propose marriage to my wife, as she was already there and suggested it would be an ideal time and place for that. I got stuck in O'hare airport in Chicago because of some stupid hurricane on the East coast. That was my 60th birthday, I spent the entire day in O'hare, and the airport's birthday gift to me was a night in a Motel 6 in a part of Chicago that I wouldn't walk through.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    stormsedge, Togman and bsman like this.
  4. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

This plan was discussed a year ago when the pandemic was not known. We were about to start making arrangements about the middle of February when this became a thing. I joined the Martin Owners club in January for the sole reason of getting one free behind the scenes tour. Of course by the time March hit we pretty much knew that the trip would likely be out the window.

bsman likes this.
  5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I'd never had one until this one. Pretty easy to work on, lots of parts out there, comfortable, and common enough it doesn't usually attract tons of looky-loos. I threw some suspension and chassis pieces on it (Dukes of Hazzard/moonshiner mods) for the local mountain roads...fun.

6. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I didn't get anything significant gift-wise on my 60th birthday, but I did retire from work. That was good enough for me!

8barlouie, KyAnne and golfnut like this.
  7. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Mine was about a year ago but I don't remember much about it. My wife got me the important stuff (chocolate) and I bought myself a Seiko light-powered watch, but apart from that ... ?

Fretting out likes this.
  8. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Took the day off, got two nice dives in, we hung out st the beach, went to dinner at the Pickled Greek and as we were ordering drinks my two sisters walked in. I had no idea. A total surprise.

We hung out doing touristy things for the rest of the week. One of my best presents ever

Togman likes this.
  9. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I would trade the guitar I'm getting for that any day. But I'll go till I'm 65 at least. I like my job alot so its not so bad. My wife being 4 1/2 years younger than me isn't ready to retire and I don't feel like retiring by my self. But if we could both retire now, I would.

Togman likes this.
  10. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted

I'll be 60 in October. I'll be happy if my PSA levels don't go any higher. Though I don't need one at all I'd like to get a P-Bass, a Fender tidepool/maple player series would be fine.

stormsedge likes this.
  11. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

My children took me to a very nice restaurant for lobster, "made in house" bread, and champagne.

Congrats and Happy Birthday!
    I'll be 66 in about 3 or so weeks. :)

elihu and cj11l like this.
  12. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

This Friday you will be entering into your 7th decade of life. Do the maths ;)

I got the usual birthday stuff for my 60th, I didn't really see it as a significant birthday. I enjoyed the birthday meals (three, on different days) though.

Happy birthday for Friday!

13. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

Hope 60 is good for you!!

I turned 68 yesterday, wife made my favorite summer dessert, had the grandkids up last week. Kids brought pizza and wine Saturday when they picked them up:)
    Nice to have a quiet day Sunday it was too hot to go out and do anything;)

14. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Amen to that! I got out at 59 years and 8 months. I felt like a flock of bluejays had departed rectally. I was a very angry man driving in to work those last 2 years! :)

Togman likes this.
  15. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I made my own bed years ago in my twenties when I proclaimed my disregard for birthdays. Not that they bother me, mind you. It’s just that, in the overall big picture of space/time continuum, I consider them to be kinda pointless.

So with that in mind, for my 60th birthday, I got the same thing I got for the last 40- ugotts!

elihu likes this.
  16. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Well I guess I'm more referencing what I've completed. Come Friday I will have completed 6 decades of life.:D

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  17. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I appreciate your response and input and I in no way mean any disrespect but I wonder why you'd contribute to a birthday thread if they don't mean anything to you and you find them pointless.
    I do respect your position on them and your beliefs. Me I have celebrated them my whole life. Mine, my wifes, my children, my grand children...

8barlouie and telemnemonics like this.
  18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

A "rain check" to buy parts or guitars when they became available.

So, that translated into cigar box guitar parts, some pickups, plus these 3 guitars (Rogue acoustic, partscaster, headless kit) so far....

mostrecentguitars.jpg

golfnut likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I wanted a red convertible but it wasn't in the cards...

stormsedge likes this.
  20. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

A nice Martin is a wish of mine as well as a tour some day also. When I say I'd avoid NYC it's not because of that thing and leave it at that. On the other hand, a nice relaxing vacation in the Finger Lakes region or the Adirondacks...oh yeah but that's just me. Of course I live about 1 1/2 north of the city and have been there many times. Some people love NYC so I understand your desire.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.