What current production Teles are 7.25? (also neck profile question)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fofomomo, Jun 17, 2020.

1. fofomomo

fofomomo TDPRI Member

Hi all,

I never used to care much about necks, but a while ago, I got a MIJ (or CIJ? no clue) Jaguar that I wound up selling and now regret. The only thing I know about it was it was an Antigua colour, and I haven't been able to find out the neck specs and I don't know a ton about necks, but from what I recall, it *had* to be 7.25 and I think the neck was quite big and round. This was 3 or 4 years ago though so I don't 100% know.

I do still own one of the Buck Owens signature Teles and that also has a fairly round neck, and I love that one a lot.

So lately I've been wanting to do a partscaster for a project, but it occurred to me that it might suit me better to just get a Squier or even an MIM, and then work from there (a lot of my plans involve re-finishing the guitar and a weird mod I thought up and want to try)

So the only thing is that since I want to keep my total number of guitars down in general, I want to get one with a 7.25 neck and preferably a really round neck back (maybe boatneck as Warmoth call it?) - what is out there that I could just grab from a store?

2. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

The Fender Vintera series 50's guitars. Or a Fender Roadworn Tele(same radius just bigger frets). Both are MIM.

3. fofomomo

fofomomo TDPRI Member

Ahhh, thank you - I had checked those, but I must have looked at one of the "modified" ones which seem to be 9.25. That's great, thanks - heck, now that I know that, I am probably gonna get really obsessed with getting the Jaguar one to make up for the one I sold haha.

(the Vinteras I am referring to)

4. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Yeah not all the Vinteras are 7.25". 50's series definitely, not the 60's, but the 70's Tele is....? Additionally check out some used MIJ stuff. All mine are 7.25".

5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Yes, the "Modified" Vinteras are 9.5" radius but most of the "regular" Vintera Teles are 7.25" radius - the Vintera 50s Tele has the U-shaped neck; the Vintera 60s is supposed to be 7.25" radius even though it's got the Bigsby on it and it's just called an early 60s C; the Vintera 70s Tele Custom has the 7.25" radius and a "thin C" shape, as does the Vintera 70s Thinline Tele.

The Vintera 70s Tele Deluxe (the 2 humbucker one) is listed as having the 70s thin C neck but with the 9.5" radius - original Tele Deluxes from 1972-1981 had a 12" radius.

6. Thinline casket

Thinline casket Tele-Meister

Used Classic Series are also 7.25."

I have a 2004 Classic Series Thinline and a 2019 Vintera Thinline. Fender describes them differently, but they're the same. I also have a 1998 Thinline with single coils. It's not a baseball bat like the other two but I prefer it to the soft V of my strat.

7. stressdoubt

stressdoubt TDPRI Member

Funny story. I have been looking on eBay for a used Classic 60s neck because of the 7.25” radius to use as the basis of a 60s Tele build. Nothing was coming up so I eventually ordered a brand new one - the very next day an eBay seller posted up a second hand Classic 60s neck including string tree and tuners so I thought I’d get that and cancel the brand new one. Made the guy an offer, he accepted...unfortunately I’d not checked the fine print on the original order and couldn’t cancel it so I ended up with two Classic 60s necks...or so I thought!

Turns out the second hand neck was from a 60s Baja Tele with a 9.5” radius fretboard which is not what I was after but I chucked it onto a Squier body and it plays great!

A second hand Classic 60s would be a good way forward - as long as you don’t end up accidentally buy a Baja instead

So now I have a dilemma - do I use the Baja as the base for my new build or keep that on the Squier and use the Classic 60s? I should point out my other Tele (MIJ 52 reissue) has a 7.25” radius and it’s awesome which is why I wanted the 60s neck in the first place!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thinline casket likes this.
  8. fofomomo

fofomomo TDPRI Member

Well folks, I don't want to create a new thread, however I have realized that the ACTUAL question I should have asked was a bit different:

What I have learned is that the Jaguar I liked so much had the 7.25 but also had a "Mid 60s C" neck profile.

So it turns out that my question is in fact: What (if any) easy-to-get Teles have that profile?

The Vintera 60s Jaguar seems to have it, but the 60s Tele has something that MIGHT be close but has a slightly different name (Early 60s C)

9. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman TDPRI Member

I have the Classic Series 50s Tele. It has a 7.25 radius and maple fretboard. I was surprised that the neck profile is the same as a recently acquired Player Strat, supposedly a modern C. That one has a 9.5 radius.

10. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

That's odd, I've got a Classic 50s Esquire and its neck is a "Soft V" profile, and a Classic 50s Strat neck (on a partscaster) that is also a "Soft V". Neither of them are anything like a Modern C.

11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The now discontinued AVs are all 7.25. Careful, though, anything that's a dealer special, like Dave's or Wildwood, is 99% chance to override the spec and use 9.5 or 10". Like my AV65 WW Thinskin Jazzmaster, which pees me off, 'cause I missed it when I bought (online used). I really like 7.25... I play a little dirge for it's sad demise every evening as the sun goes down... :rolleyes:

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just saw this... Not sure what counts as easy to get. The AV 64 Tele, AV 65 Strat, pretty much all the AV 60s era have a fat oval C shape.

Not sure about the AOs, they may have continued this, even though they changed the radius.

13. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Unfortunately Fender hasn't put up their Service Manual for the Vintera '60s Tele; they do have it up for the Vintera '60s Jaguar, and the factory spec on the Jaguar neck is .825" at the first fret and .975" at the 12th fret. That is the exact spec of the American Original '60s Strat neck and the American Original '60s Tele neck. I have played both of those, and I very briefly strummed on a Vintera '60s Tele before we went on lockdown here, but it seems to me the Vintera '60s neck was a bit thinner at the 12th fret - more like the neck they used to use on the older AVRI '62 Strats and AVRI '62 Custom Tele.

I do want to point out that the same shape is going to feel different on a Jaguar than it will on a Strat or a Tele do to the difference in scale length - the Jaguar is 24" scale length while the Strat and Tele are 25.5" scale length.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.