What cover songs have you been working on (for your band) most recently?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by blowtorch, Oct 17, 2019.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

steel guitar fills from Merle Haggard's "Big City"

2. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Last week I heard this song. I thought It would probably work for our target audience. I rolled it out to the members to work in it at home.

Today we had a heavy snow storm. The bass player forged ahead and came over to try the song out. I quickly threw together a drum beat on my old Zoom drum machine. The song came together pretty quick.

Two members from the band were missing today. My buddy and I still have very good effective practice time together. When people work on songs at home alone, getting together is so much fun.

teletimetx likes this.
  3. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

For my acoustic duo I've worked up a version of The Youngblood's Four in the Morning.

Jim W and T Prior like this.
  4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

We just learned "Circles" by Post Malone, but we haven't played it at a gig yet.

In what way?

Wow! I'd like to hear that!

5. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Holic

6. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

Over here the songs you listed would be considered bar band standards...almost cliches.

7. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Holic

Oh dear we don't want to inflict a set of 'almost cliches' on any visiting Middle Americans:eek:.

Fortunately I'm a classically trained pianist so we'll include Debussy's Hommage à Rameau in our pub set on Saturday:lol:.

8. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

believe it or not Mud on the Tires, Water , Wraparound and American Saturday night. Of course not all of Brads crazy solos in Water and American Saturday Night. Brads pretty difficult to cover accurately. Even if he was sitting in front of me I'm not sure he could teach me . He would probably fire me as a student. But some of it's not quite as complex as we may think. He does many hammers and pulls to open strings regardless of what key he is playing in, it makes no musical sense sometimes but it sure sounds good and is fun to work out. The other thing is his cadence, it's all in the timing. He really has perfect timing and cadence flow in his solos .

Our band previously covered Mudd and Wraparound , I was on Steel, our previous guitar player covered them pretty well. We are thinking of bringing them back. No stress here .

Also keep in mind that Brad is using a G Bender , so much of what he does is fretboard positioned to access intervals for pulling the G string. Those of us on a B Bender need to change fretboard positions to accomplish similar phrasing otherwise those phrases are..uhh..not there !

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  9. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

no covers right now. just working up our originals to go record.

10. Rick J

Rick J Tele-Holic

We've been working on some newer stuff, away from the trad 60s "Beatles/Hollies/Kinks/Stones" Motown and Stax stuff, (Great though it is!!)

We have a very versatile female singer so we've been doing stuff Titanium (David Guetta version), Nothing Breaks Like a Heart by Miley Cyrus, and Exes and Ohs by Ellie King.

I didn't think any decent pop songs had been written in the last twenty years, but Daliah has opened our minds to some of the really good stuff. They're all songs whose title seems unfamiliar, then you bring them up on YouTube and you say "Oh... that!" You'll actually know it, but never really listened. These sort of songs go down really well at gigs, mainly, I think, because very few bands actually do them.

Rick J

2HBStrat likes this.
  11. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

Jesse Colin Young did a great acoustic version of this song on The Soul of a City Boy album (before the Youngbloods).

alnico357 likes this.
  12. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

Beer drinkers and arrested? Very nice

13. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

A slow, feedback-howling version of the Ronettes' Be My Baby.

blowtorch likes this.
  14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I hope the percussion remains faithful to the original

2HBStrat likes this.
  15. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

We will record it for our next album. The studio version will have quite faithful percussion, according to our plans. Live though... Nah.

We weren't planning to use it live, but on Sunday's rehearsal we thought that we made a very presentable version.

16. pickaguitar

pickaguitar Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

No Excuses - AIC
    Hey Baby - Hendrix
    Black Lexus - Joseph Arthur
    God Part 2 - U2

17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

Yeah, it's cool what new stuff you can pick up, and discover that you actually like, if you allow yourself to break out of your comfort zone and listen.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.