1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What could you possibly do? Careers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Apr 6, 2021.

1. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

I did that for a while but got sick of being fired!:D:D:D

dented, BigDaddyLH and Mike SS like this.
  2. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I jumped into the stream of life at age 18 to escape my abusive father. I had no plan, but knew college was not for me, so I entered the work force in whatever capacity I could find. Dishwasher, line cook, restaurant manager, taxi driver, warehouse worker, U. S. Marine (where I was trained as a mechanic). I had wanted to make a career in the Corps, but my body gave up at around 10 years. However, the training and experience I had received served me well in the civilian world, so I pursued a career as a mechanic. Getting ready to retire this coming October. Got one hell of a tool set to show for it.

3. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

It's fairly Sisyphean, right? There's always a new cert to get or technology trend to learn, and there's always something I don't know nearly enough about.

When you spend time in any one environment, you get good at whatever that place does, but are functionally blindered to the wider thrust of technology unless you're working for a big vendor and deal with lots of customers (which has its own challenges).

If you work in support/ops at a place that does their own IT, it's typically underfunded and you're second guessed by management who did the under-funding AND simultaneously expects blood from a turnip. Way over it.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've been programming since high school. My dream is to win enough on the lottery that I can (1) retire and (2) hire an personal assistant that does all my online stuff, so that I never have to look at a computer screen again. Apart from TDPRI ;)

dented likes this.
  5. horsespatoot

horsespatoot Tele-Holic

A Luthier or a Strip Club owner.

dented likes this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Hey, super thanks. When you always wanted to be an architect, but you only have one shot at it, it takes on a life of it's own. Lots of experimentation and still many years to complete, especially considering the parameters and philosophies that I place upon myself to make it quite a challenge. We'll see in ... another decade.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Telekarster and dented like this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Haaa, as a retired engineer, I've heard plenty of "verbs" to describe us too. I doubt that many architects would have rather gone to art school. Probably more like art history teacher wannabes wanting to get a higher paying job.;)

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  8. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Cheers,
    Geoff

dented likes this.
  9. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's pretty much the question I asked myself before I became a teacher at age 40. If I could go back to age 18 and reset, I might pursue a law career.

Matt G and dented like this.
  10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I’ve had a good and lucky career path, no complaints. I do get tired of looking at screens all day long but that’s my only complaint. If I were to start over and do it differently? Something to do with woodworking or custom furniture making. I’m a total novice but I seem to be pretty good at figuring it out, I’m aware that it is only a touch more practical than being a pro rock musician though.

dented likes this.
  11. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

After high school (didn’t actually graduate), I bounced around a number of crappy jobs in restaurants, bars, and construction. Then in 1988, I saw the movie “ Big” and decided Marketing was for me. It took a couple more years of struggling and meeting and marrying my wife before I finally went back to school. I enrolled in the local community college and was nearly expelled when they finally found out that I didn’t have a high school diploma. I sweet talked my old high school into accepting the college credits I had already earned towards the high school credits that I was short.
    A long, scenic route through college left me with a degree in business management and a pre-med minor. I attended chiropractic school for two semesters and decided that it wasn’t for me.
    I used my business degree and worked for 12 years as a Purchasing Agent, 3 years as a cost accountant and have worked the last 10 years as a manager in city government.
    I’ve liked all the work I’ve done but have not liked, not even a little bit, working for other people. I used to be a people person but the people ruined it.
    If I had it to do over, I would have gone into accounting and specialized in forensic accounting. In all of my jobs, this has actually been a component of the task and I really love digging into data and making it tell me the truth. I actually struggle with math but data manipulation comes easy.

dented likes this.
  12. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I'm not enough of a genius to have made an alternative life out of One Big Thing. Most of my 'dream' ideas weren't practical, in career terms, so I went in other directions. So now I can afford to chase after them as hobbies. If I were starting over, though, I'd skip the travel and conventional career thinking. Buy a place in a community full of people like me, stay there, add value doing useful stuff - light manufacture, minor ag, local retail, a teaching gig - plant a huge garden, have a dozen kids, and get buried under a big oak tree I planted fifty years ago. Now that I think of it, most of that's still theoretically within reach. . . .

dented likes this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Sisyphus was condemned to work in the IT department for eternity.

sistphus2.jpeg

dented and buster poser like this.
  14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Fork in the road moment.

In the USAF I was offered the opportunity to go to the Academy prep school with a possible appointment to the academy. I had just proposed to my first wife and you couldn't be married. Often wondered if a career in the USAF could have been. Not unhappy with my life at all, but I could have been a contender.

dented and Matt G like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.