1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What could you possibly do? Careers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It looks glamorous from the outside looking in, but the reality is that out of an 18 hour concert day from load-in to load-out, only about 4 of those hours are dealing with mixing. The other 14 hours are laboring in set/strike/load, enduring the food in the hospitality room that was provided by the lowest bidder, dealing with whatever the band has their panties in a twist about, and the bus stinks inside like feet & undershorts. I am certain life in a studio presents it's own set of unique issues, too, except for how to load the truck.

Matt G, gimmeatele, dented and 2 others like this.
  2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i think i should have been a doctor. but when i graduated high school, i was too immature and, frankly, nuts to do anything, so i ended up in the military.

it's kind of incredible that my "career" ended up being oriented around law enforcement.

dented and stormsedge like this.
  3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Bioengineering. I’m retired now. Back in college, one majored in biology or engineering. Biology was mostly qualitative. Engineering was purely quantitative. One rarely did both. The joke was that science majors chose biology because it required only one semester each of math and physics.

Physiologists thought quantitatively. Many of them began to build their own experimental apparatus. They began to self teach themselves engineering. Biological scientists in other disciplines began to work quantitatively and build novel apparatus as well.

I came into the field on the commercial side in a microscopy company at the time when microscopes were changing from things one looked through into imaging systems. My greatest professional accomplishments came in laser microscopy, re-engineering commercial products to meet the unmet needs of research scientists. I had the opportunity to work with scientists and engineers in 11 countries on four continents, the most unique experience being training Russian scientists in Moscow converting a defense laboratory into a bio research institute to use research instruments provided by the NIH.

I never imagined the path my life would take when I was in college. Folks tell of a trip of a lifetime. My whole career was that.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  4. David C

David C Tele-Meister

The world is filled with possibilities when we are young and I weighed many of them before picking a path. I went to college with no real idea of what I wanted to make of myself in life. I knew I was driven to make a very good living, so I got serious about my studies where before I had just been an average high school student. After flitting about for two years, I decided to major in Mechanical Engineering. I got that degree after adding a year and a half to college. Never worked a day in my life as a pure Engineer, but went into Technical sales. That was a very fulfilling career and now I am at the end of that. But I sold for my entire career, traveled all over the world, ate in tons of different restaurants, some great, some perfectly forgettable. That suited my personality very well as a career and I think it probably was the best use of my talents.

I just retired a few months back and have been thinking about all the other possible lives I might have lived. I debated going into computer programming before deciding on engineering. I didn't see the career path there in the mid 70s, so that was one decision that I have questioned over the years. I didn't see how big computers were going to become.

I could have joined the Navy during college and received money, which I needed, and then served for 6 years once I graduated. The recruiters were sitting down at their table in the Student Union until they found out my degree was in engineering. Then they stood up to talk with me. I said I wanted to be a pilot, they were telling me how I could become one. But I didn't bite. I've thought about that decision more than once.

I suppose I could ask myself these questions forever. What if I had done this or that? What if I had married this girl or that girl? In the end, my possibilities have led me to where I am right now. It is a great place for me and I have contentment with the way things turned out.

JL_LI, dented and stormsedge like this.
  5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Amen. Well said!

dented likes this.
  6. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Holic

In my field of electronics, if I had been an engineer instead of technician/technologist, there may have been bigger paydays and better pension money, however I have no gripes. I did very well by branching off into nuclear power plant maintenance where I worked 30 years followed by 14 more years as a contractor in the same field. Life's been good to me. Oh, and those early tech school years of vacuum tube theory paid off too. Who would have dreamed that guitar players loved tube amps all these decades later? I repaired, modified and built countless amps and fixed/upgraded guitars and gear for myself and others. That's been a bonus. Nothing beats 'job' satisfaction.

dented, JL_LI, rz350 and 1 other person like this.
  7. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I was never able to see how a job would fit in with life. I built stuff when I was a young man, and then, among other things, was a writer - grant proposals, policy papers, congressional testimony, social program design, etc etc. Fell into a couple of jobs that had benefits and pension funds.

Somehow ended up with a pretty small pension, social security, and some retirement savings, and I find that not working is the career I always dreamed of. I'm really good at it, and if I had started earlier, who knows where it would have taken me?

Matt G, smoothrecluse and dented like this.
  8. Martian

Martian Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I would think your interest in counseling/mental health probably came in handy in your career as a musician.

dented likes this.
  9. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I'm thinking of re-careering again at 50 because despite digging tech (and being good at it) I really hate "IT," and after 18 years in the field, I think I've seen it done just about every way it can be done and from "tier 1" desktop support all the way up to managing gazillion dollar datacenter projects.

Seriously considering some time off to learn how to weld/plumb/wire commercially/residentially. I've got aptitude for those and also for photography and writing, but none of it pays as much as IT, which makes me dislike the field even more.

black_doug, dented and JL_LI like this.
  10. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Holic

I truly wish I had become a history teacher.
    Back in the late 70's teachers were not making any money and who thinks ahead at the age of 18 to realize you can retire from the county or state after 20 some years.
    I chose to end up as an auto body tech at a few Chevrolet dealerships most of my life.
    Hard back breaking work to end up being lucky in my best years of making 70 to 90 thousand a year

My wife's best friend has 2 daughters who are under 35 and both making over 80 a year as teachers..
    They have all this time off with Christmas breaks, spring break and most of the summer off.
    Add in-service days and every holiday you can think of.
    Home everyday by 3:30.
    What's not to love about that?

dented likes this.
  11. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

Almost the same boat..... getting pretty tired of IT .... I'm good at it , and the pay is OK, but I get more and more wore out from it every year. Just tired of it.
    Kind of miss the "clock punching" days... show up, do your thing, go home. Period.

black_doug, dented and buster poser like this.
  12. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

Plastics

dented likes this.
  13. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I've thought about that a lot and I now understand that whatever career I had chosen was far less important than my choice to work for wages. The best advice my Father the entrepreneur ever gave me which of course I didn't follow was that every moment of your life that you spend for the benefit of a boss is a moment you didn't spend for the benefit of yourself. Dad did well. Me? I did OK I guess but not near as well as he did.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Matt G, RollingBender and dented like this.
  14. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

Glad I'm not the only one!

dented and blowtorch like this.
  15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I wanted to be the human cannonball in the circus but they said they weren't looking for a man of my calibre. :lol:

16. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Man... that is one swell cabin you got there Obsessed. Kudos to you on having the moxy to build it yourself! Just beautiful.

Obsessed and dented like this.
  17. fozhebert

fozhebert Tele-Meister

Career, what does the word mean anymore?

School:
    1. 1 year passed electronics engineering technology '93.
    2. Diploma Computer Assisted Sound Design '95. Figured I'd work in a studio or tour as a tech the rest of my life.

Work:
    1. On the side recording small projects for 5 years while:
      1. Process programming machinery in a styrofoam product plant.
      2. FM broadcast engineer for community radio.
      3. Full time live soundguy at local live bar. Unknowingly crossed paths (probably) with my future wife (big live music fan)
    2. Moved to another province and managed a Radio Shack.
    3. Worked as a customer service rep at an inbound call center
    4. Moved back home. Worked in electronics assembly of video lottery terminals.
    5. Software tester for gambling software.
    6. Payment officer for fedral government.
    7. Office admin for federal government office.
    8. Claims and evidence reserach for administrative tribunal.
    9. Working towards being a business systems analyst.
    10. What job did I start with again?
    I would not change a thing. It's not what you do but how you do it.

dented likes this.
  18. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Indeed. All the more so teaching collegiate music students.

Martian and dented like this.
  19. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I think I would've been a heck of a mechanical/structural Engineer. I have a natural gift in these areas that I believe I inherited from my Dad. My natural abilities in this area have served me well on 100's of DIY projects over the years. I can see "into" an object and draw its inner workings to precision, which is why I aced drafting class to a point where I became the teachers assistant. Sadly I never really recognized my own abilities until much later in life, because they came so natural to me, but oh well... guess I'll just carry on with my DIY's

dented likes this.
  20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I enjoyed my career in aerospace tech and management and was quite successful at it for a poor country kid. But it's not like I had a passion for it.

Marine Biologist would have been great. Always loved the sea and have spent a lot of time on it. Always loved animals. Seems like a dream job.

I could have been a good lawyer, but would have hated the system and not been happy, unless I worked as a troublemaker type of lawyer.

Matt G and dented like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.