1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What could you possibly do? Careers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Apr 6, 2021.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I found I could do any thing I set my mind to do and do it with a level of proficiency, whether it was a hobby or a career choice I have done the best i could no matter what, and upon reflection had a good time doing it, a really good time .

Matt G, dented and rewind like this.
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I worked on health and safety for a good few years. Decided to throw in the towel last year, got fed up of writing reams and reams of paperwork etc, also being away from my family for anything up to a month.

So I bailed with a decent pension, and a nice lump sum. I now work in a supermarket, sometimes filling shelves, some times on tills as a cashier. I'm really glad I did to be honest, I get to see my family every day, and the work I do now, as soon as I put my coat on and walk out of the door, I can forget about it all, and no paperwork.

dented and Oxidao like this.
  3. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was a city planner in my actual career. I had to essentially be a lawyer in in a number of quasi-judicial hearings (in front of a hearing examiner, not a judge). I had to question witnesses (both direct and cross) and do opening and closing arguments, follow rules of evidence, etc. I was good at it and some of the lawyers I worked with told me I could have been a damn good litigator. But I never wished I’d gone that route. I got a taste of it but I saw what those guys did, nearly 24/7 and I wouldn’t have wanted to do that full time. My job had a ton of variety and I really dug that. Playing a lawyer was great on occasion, but no way I’d have wanted to do that every day. I frankly don’t think I’d have been good at it if I did it every day either.

-Ray

Matt G and dented like this.
  4. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I enjoy being a teacher, but sometimes I wish that I worked with my hands. Being an electrician has always appealed to me, or being a craftsman of some sort. Or to quote Ted Kooser:

“I might have been a welder,
    Kneeling in a fountain of sparks
    In my mask of stars.”

Matt G, dented and JL_LI like this.
  5. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

By the standards of the mainstream job market, I'm mostly unemployable. No qualifications in anything, no college, no university. However, recently I realised that I am more or less doing the job I dreamed of as a youngster! I seem to have ended up where I wanted to be, through pure aimless wandering.

dented and Martian like this.
  6. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Sports journalist.

I wrote for the local paper in high school primarily covering high school sports and community events. I really liked it and got some good compliments on my writing, even went to college for print journalism.

I dropped out after a semester because I wasn’t mentally prepared for more school at the time. Then my life took me in other directions, and I’m happy with where I’ve ended up. But I do still enjoy writing in my spare time.

dented and Phrygian77 like this.
  7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

This has been my career path also.
    I'm amused at how wildly successful I ended up being with basically no education/training/planning/preparation to speak of, and I do my best to hide that fact from my sons, ha

8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am fortunate to have an extensive library of job skills.

My dad was an electrician, so I wired my 1st house at age 14 while the old man sat on a tailgate swilling beers with the plumber, whose kid was my classmate & was downstairs sweating copper. It made me not want to be an electrician. At age 16, I got a job repairing windows & screens. In high school, I loved the wood shop, and envisioned myself in a career building custom furniture, but life steered me elsewhere. But, I can sure build the heck out of a speaker cabinet, and is a skill I have used my entire life.

I flew in the U.S. Navy, giving me a career base for aviation. On that airplane, I learned audio on an industrial scale by chasing Soviet submarines literally from the North Sea to the Mediterranean to the Caribbean and back. Twice. It took 4 years to complete that cycle, and the military forced me to grow up, whereas if I had gone straight to college, I would have surely partied my way out of school.

On the other hand, my audio base got me onto tours with a national act, and the opportunity to work with countless others who were playing the same festivals & fairs that the soundco I was employed by was providing services for.

Then came the wife & family, and a need to stay off the road, so I went back to school for aviation maintenance.

I hold an FAA Mechanic certificate, and gained journeyman status as a machinist along the way. I thought I would retire from that job...until September 11, 2001 created a situation that was out of my control, and industrial job opportunities disappeared overnight.

I can weld aluminum & stainless, so I could have been a welder. I have worked & owned retail and service firms. And now, I am back in live events as venue staff.

I don't think I can imagine a career path focused on just one area, as I have learned so much in 41 years in the work force. I am at the point in my career where I am training my replacement so I can retire in a few years, and proving every day that the ideal candidate is better served by a desire to learn & excel than by a resume full of bad procedural habits that come with prior experience.

Matt G, dented, JL_LI and 1 other person like this.
  9. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My experience after having just completed a $15 million expansion at work is that an architect is a person who would have rather have gone to art school, but daddy wouldn't pay for an art degree. I may be jaded in my opinion, though. We now use the architect's name as a verb, as in "Looks like you got 'Marked'..."

I am glad the path you chose worked out for you, and you have something unique of your own to show for it.

Obsessed, TN Tele and dented like this.
  10. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

As a 22 year veteran IT tech, forensics. Maybe because I watch too much crime TV.

11. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

The waste management guys (on the trucks in Memphis) made more than I did when I went in the Navy;).

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  12. blowtorch

that's my go-to, as well. I find it strangely relaxing

13. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I thank God every day that I was afforded the privilege.

14. Phrygian77

I like this thread.

dented and stormsedge like this.
  15. Phrygian77

Oh yeah, it's weird. And, those guys are doing something that really matters. I know companies need websites, but that seems like a higher calling to me.

dented likes this.
  16. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

"Regrets...I've had a few...but then again, to few to mention" --Elvis or Frank...you choose.

What else could I possibly do? I could have stayed in the auto parts business, and was in line for "my own store". I could have been an auto/diesel mechanic. I could have been an auto salesman like my Dad. I could have been in journalism or advertising, by college degree. I could have been a singing waiter, a pirate, or a mattress tester.

Historically, the Navy suited me almost perfectly for over 29 years. Everyday was different (almost) and the people around me were a top notch team with high standards (exceptions, but few). I never held the same job title, or set of day to day responsibilities for more than 2.5 years, and as often had a change of physical duty station/change of scenery...all without the civilian worry of where the next paycheck would come from. It was challenging and I learned something new every day. It has afforded me a comfortable retirement.

After retirement, I worked a year contract as Facilities Manager at our local community college. One day, after ironing out some not-remembered "crisis" that wasn't really in my lane, the college president asked me "Is there anything you can't do". Yes sir, I cannot throw a ball or sing soprano;).

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    gimmeatele, dented and JL_LI like this.
  17. blowtorch

My relatively recently departed father always pushed for me to be a self-employed man, when I was younger.

I think he didn't want to see his son beholden to idiot know-nothing supervisors, and running the treadmill in some faceless corporation as a wageslave, and I appreciated all of that.

But at one point I thought long and hard about what I could actually provide in the way of services to someone, that could in turn provide me with a living wage plus money for advertising for whatever I was providing plus insurance etc...

and I decided to "buy in" and let the company worry about all the marketing and plus they could provide me benefits like health insurance, retirement etc

Matt G, stormsedge and dented like this.
  18. blowtorch

Martian and stormsedge like this.
  19. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

if I had also stayed single

law
    architecture
    industrial design

dented likes this.
  20. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

In 1977, I bought a microprocessor chip, a video chip, a few other parts and 1kb of RAM, and wired it up and programmed it to play a shooting game.

I was pretty pleased with myself, but decided there was no future in it....!

The other thing I'd have loved to be was a sound man, running the PA and recording, I like wiring things up.

What I actually did was structural engineering, I like it still and I also teach it at Sydney Uni.

Matt G, dented and stormsedge like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.