1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What could you possibly do? Careers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Apr 6, 2021.

1. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Having just recently retired from a career job I had many reflections on my working life and thoughts about where I had been. I looked back and reminisced over and over and I still will for a while and I wonder if I missed something. So I have a question and I think it will be interesting to members here because many of us are Fogarties (figure that one out will ya).

Looking back, what career path do think it is possible that you didn't follow, that you would be very successful in and excel? Now, I don't want career paths that you wished you had, just the ones given the chance you really think you could have nailed if it is other than the one you walked?

What say you?

2. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

I definitely regret not going after more super models!

Telecasterless likes this.
  3. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

I'm not a foaming train enthusiast by any means but something about railways always fascinated me (my parents met when they both worked for our railway corporation so maybe it's in my DNA)

Also i have a severe map fetish so cartography would have been fun

Side note: My three careers thus far have all started with "Fi.."

Telekarster and dented like this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Law, since that's what I thought I'd do as a career when I was in college. Most of my classes were picked with that in mind. However, I ended up not following that path although I can't really say why. If I had to guess it was because what I saw at the time was 3 years more of boring classes followed by a boring career of looking stuff up for more extroverted lawyers.

5. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

If I hadn’t become a musician and teacher, I think I would have gone into counseling/mental health therapy. I still consider it every now and again, but I’ve got three kids to get through college before I could ever consider retraining.

Jakedog, Martian and dented like this.
  6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t know of any career at which I could have excelled.
    I picked the right career and I excelled at it.

Gunny likes this.
  7. Mark617

Mark617 Tele-Meister

I’m not sure about the excelling part
    However I do regret not going in the military. I never had the honor or privilege to serve.

8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

When I as a kid I always dreamt about being a garbage man. Not the driver. The guy who hangs off the back and picked up the cans. Now it’s mechanized so I don’t dream of that.

9. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

Im 41 and been in management since I was 26. I dont know what else I would have done, or want to do as I truly enjoy my job.

dented likes this.
  10. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

I play guitar every day.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    That Cal Webway and dented like this.
  11. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I used to think about this a lot after the IT career I had vanished, around 2004. At the end I was in a help desk position for windows and OS2 workstations, servers, and networks. For a while I thought it was my fault that I was laid off, (although I know there were things I would do differently if given the chance). Then a career counselor helped me to see the huge changes in the economy that led to downsizing of the industry (ie., installing apps over the network, Y2K spending, server centralization, remote support, etc.).

More recently I have a different perspective, since I retired. My education in electronics gave me a good career in a variety of jobs for reputable companies that I enjoyed most of the time. I was never unemployed for very long between jobs and so I'm thankful for that. No regrets.

Matt G, Telekarster, bgmacaw and 3 others like this.
  12. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

I always wanted to be a lion tamer.

13. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I joined the military and became an aviator, which was a huge mistake because I hated it. I have not had a terribly successful career, because I hated my job.

About 14 years into my career, I stopped flying and became a staff officer, which I excel at and love. It's like the most complicated board game you can imagine where you don't understand most of the rules when you start and you never stop learning new ones. If I hadn't been an aviator, and especially if I had gone with my original plan to join the Army, I'd have had a radically different career arc and life.

Anyway, I retire from the USAF later this year and will work as a civilian on a military staff making pretty good money, so I'm fine.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  14. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'm a weird duck, so this is probably going to sound weird.

For me, the military was the road not taken. My best friend since jr. high took ROTC in high school and planned to join the Navy after graduating high school. In my senior year, I met my sweetheart, and thinking of plans for our future, I decided I'd go in on what the Navy was calling the "buddy plan," or something to that effect. After getting out, I figured I'd have money for college.

I actually started to write the details of why I didn't go that route, but that would be too long-winded a reply, even for me. But I very nearly entered the Navy in 1972. What a different life I would have lived, but for taking that divergent road. It most probably would not have been my career path, since I saw it from the beginning as a means to an end. It wasn't a career for my friend. He did not re-up after his 4-year hitch.

My father was a minister, so at one time in my life, I considered the path of a clergyman. (Yes, I am a preacher's kid. That factoid probably explains some things for some of you that have wondered about me.) I seriously considered it for a time, but that was not my path, either.

For the record, I didn't have a career, as such. I've worked in various fields of endeavor (truck driver, teacher at a private school, retail sales), not one steady career from youth to retirement. And I have no higher education, or as I've said it before, "I ain't never had me no kolige edumacashun, so I ain't got no mater named 'Alma.'"

15. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I've only worked in the music biz since I was 22. Bassist/guitarist/teacher for 12 years, music wholesale for 11 years, owned a guitar shop for the last 27 years.
    There was never a Plan B.

Matt G, Jakedog, Telekarster and 3 others like this.
  16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

In high school, I had to declare a major for my college applications and then decide which colleges to apply. I had two gigantic interests ... mechanical engineering and architecture. I picked the first and enjoyed every minute of my career and was very successful, but I had always wanted to design and build homes, so I retired early to take on my "second" designing and building my own house. I practiced on a timberframe woodshed, then a timberframe cabin and now the house: only time will tell, but I probably selected the right one for my career.:rolleyes: IMG_4005.JPG DSC00143.JPG

Matt G, tfarny, Jakedog and 20 others like this.
  17. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

I've enjoyed quite a bit of success in my technically-focused career with *zero* misgivings. But along the way, I've had opportunity to work with some top tier trial lawyers, and boy, they're a clever bunch with a great sense of humor. In another life, I might have enjoyed matching wits in the courtroom.

tfarny, P Thought, Larry F and 3 others like this.
  18. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Stupendous

dented and Obsessed like this.
  19. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I decided to be a physician in 1959. In 2021, retired, I wouldn’t have done anything else.

Matt G, lmjmitchell, dented and 6 others like this.
  20. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Nice. I should have gone to med school.

raysachs, bcorig and dented like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.