1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What concert do you regret having actually attended?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gmountain, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

You haven't lived until you saw Yanni like this! :eek: If you saw Chameleon in the late 1970s and early 80s in the Mpls./ St. Paul area you got to see the man in action all the time:

Here is a promo picture. Remember what has been seen cannot be unseen.:eek:

cham2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. AlabamaOutlaw

AlabamaOutlaw Tele-Meister

David Allen Coe

brookdalebill and JohnnyGringo like this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Second time I saw Jonny Lang (just...sucked), last time I saw BB King (it was just before he died; although my daughter got to see and interact with him, so I'll give that one half-credit), third time I saw Buddy Guy (blitzed out of his mind and WAAAAAAY too loud; enjoyed him before and since) and the most recent time I saw Tab Benoit (he looked and sounded sick, had amp problems, and a weird crowd--including couple in their 50's dang-near-fornicating nearby).

4. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

Aerosmith, summer of '78. AC/DC opened, nobody knew who they were. They were incredible...but since it was Fresno, and the crowd was impatient for Aerosmith, they got booed off after Angus mooned the audience (we didn't know it was a routine he did at every show). Then Aerosmith came on and flat sucked fried biscuits. The sound was atrocious, Joe Perry had a hissy fit when he broke a string, barely played an hour, rushed through the set like they couldn't wait to get the hell outta there (well, it was Fresno...). After the concert, everybody was saying, "Man, Aerosmith sucked, that first band was better!" AC/DC came back the next year on their own on the Highway To Hell tour, sold out Warnor's Theater in five hours.

Years later I found out that the next day they (Aerosmith) played Day On The Green at Oakland Coliseum (so maybe they were "saving it up" for that show)...and that AC/DC blew 'em off the stage...

wblynch and bigblksun66 like this.
  5. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My wife won tickets to see Gladys Knight. She didn't show so they substituted Steve Lawence & Edie Gorme. I would rather have gone to a Lawrence Welk show.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

So, Dr. Lucky, did you regret going?

My business partner was a State Representative and he got plenty of free tickets to the Nat Kiefer Auditorium so he offered them very often to me and sometimes I took the tickets hoping the opening act might be decent. Show up early, check out the opening act, and maybe hang around for the main act if they were decent. Or maybe give the tickets away - lost no sleep over it.

Another thing was, go to the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival and find all the unheralded bands you maybe never got around to checking out. Never mind going over to see Dave Matthews or Carlos Santana or the Black Crowes a 6th time; check out some folks people know only a little about. I mean, in 2017 with the Internet everyone knows about so many more bands than a typical fan or band member would know about, but 20 years ago, that wasn't really so.

The downside is you have seen so many agglomerations of so many musicians, with names you can't begin to remember, in many cases really talented (sometimes not) and because all of us here on this board are trying to communicate we don't bother to mention all the much lesser known people.

You know I would bet the 20 worst live performances on stage I have ever seen, where I at least paid something to be there, were by people that 90% of you would not know by name -probably wouldn't know at all. Something about New Orleans but "name" bands almost never stink it up when in that town - or at least the ones I like. They save their bad nights for the nights when they cannot remember if they're in Buffalo or Cleveland or Indy.

drlucky likes this.
  7. Babaluma

Babaluma TDPRI Member

I saw Television twice and both times it was terrible. First time the band were good but Tom Verlaine clearly couldn't be bothered. He played Marquee Moon for for about 4 minutes before giving up. Also a Welsh guy kept shouting through out the concert "Tom play Prove It" to the point where Tom had to tell him to chill as they were going to play it later. Richard Lloyd played well and put 100% into it but Verlaine was crap.

Second time they were slow and boring and payed some new songs that were not very good.

8. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

First concert I ever went to was Lee Michaels (just him & Frosty) at the Long beach Arena back in '68 or '69 & it was great, though amplified to the point of insanity.....Saw him again a couple years later as "The Lee Michaels Band" at the Long Beach Civic Auditorium where he was playing guitar for about half of the set, also great, not too loud, think they were 2nd in a 3-band bill.........Saw him again around 1980 at the Boarding House in SF where him & the rest of the band were so stoned that half the time they didn't know what each other were doing. Drummer had a kit that was made out of galvanized garbage cans & sounded like it; in between tunes they stood there staring into space. A memorable letdown for somebody that I used to idolize.

9. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I'm a huge Built To Spill fan. I saw them at a small club in about 2004 and it was terrible.

They seemed uninterested and totally disconnected from the audience. Granted the audience wasn't that good either, and it was a small turn out.

I'd never seen them live before, but the whole thing was like a jam band show with 10 minute or longer jams.

10. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Funny, my Mom bought me Trans, I used to play "Sample And Hold" over and over haha

Digital Larry and Skully like this.
  11. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Too bad. I went to see SMB four decades ago during the Fly Like an Eagle tour and it was awesome, high energy.

12. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Like the OP, my nomination is ELO.

I can't remember the date (saw a LOT of concerts in the 70s and 80s), but this was the tour where they decided to play most of the string parts with synthesizers.

I really liked ELO and I thought their use of a string section in a rock setting was brilliant.
    Watching - and listening to - those guys play synth/keys instead of wailing with bows on strings was SOOOO disappointing!

They did pull the actual stringed instruments out for a couple songs, but by then the damage was done.

I've never forgiven Jeff Lynne for that fiasco.
    He's done some great things since then, but every time I see him I think of that show.

13. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Aerosmith 1978 I believe. Waterbury Palace Theatre. They were pretty good. It's just that they did a 45 minute set and that was it. I was po'd.

drlucky likes this.
  14. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

When Jeff Beck toured with Rod Stewart. He bombed out of the tour early, but I already had a date for the show. I wasn't impressed. Do You Think I'm Sexy? Good grief....

archetype and 8barlouie like this.
  15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Joan Jett in the mid '80s. Just going through the motions; felt like I was watching a garage band.

The Cars were pretty bad too when I saw them on the Heartbeat City tour. They were a studio band for sure.

Seen Foreigner twice. Both times they were bad - really, really bad.

16. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Down in the park with a friend called Five
    Smashing Pumpkins on the Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness tour, so '95 I'd guess. Garbage opened and they were great but the Pumpkins were terrible. Billy was sick and no one wanted to be there. They were loud and lousy. My son was 11 and that was his first concert, he loved it. I think he was happier to see Garbage, he had a bit of a crush on Gwen.

wblynch likes this.
  17. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

The Runaways were a garage band ;)

18. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Black Oak Arkansas, 1974. I sort of liked them at the time, plus it was a multi band lineup.

They played ok, but something about their set led me to stop listening to them. I've never had that happen before or after!

19. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Shirley, surely?

20. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Down in the park with a friend called Five
    Whoops! My bad, I took him to see Bush shortly after that and No Doubt opened. :oops:

(I think it was that show, but they opened for someone we saw and he was happy lol)
    (Well, this was bugging me so I took to Google. Turns out we saw No Doubt in '97, not as an opening band. Smashing Pumpkins still stunk though!)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.