1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What concert do you regret having actually attended?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gmountain, Jul 9, 2017.

1. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jay-Z and Justin Timberlake.. I really disliked Jay-Z and I like rap. But Jay-Z's schtick is this hyperbolic pro-wrestling like character that he is the greatest in the world, and it's really boring. J.T. was ok, nothing special.

2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I love Jeff Beck but there is that one thing he does, I think he hits the trem and just lets it wiggle free, goes Brrrrrrrrr sorta... I am not that fond of that sound. I saw JB and Stevie Ray Vaughn way back when - liked Jeff more than Stevie... Beck was playing with Terry Bozzio that tour so that was pretty cool. It's not that I don't like SRV, I just think the "blues" vein has been way over mined.

Then I was at a party and another guy there had seen the same show... he thought Beck's "space music" sucked.

That was the show where Carlos Santana came out at the end to jam with Stevie but he was obviously just using an amp and maybe guitar that they had there... wasn't his tone... he played a few notes that kinda went "plink... plink... plink..." no sustain or anything. Place went wild all the same.

DougM likes this.
  3. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Not a concert, but a comedy show: Eddie Izzard in Indianapolis in May of 2008.

Spent good bit of money and drove close to 3 hours each way to sit close to the stage. He seemed to have serious contempt for the audience and a t one point made a rude gesture at us. And while that might not be out of place at a comedy show, this was obviously not in fun.

That show, combined with finding out that my old college hangout Irish pub had become just another sports bar, made for a disappointing outing.

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Was that "The Back of the Rack" in Ocean City Md ? or the "Bottle and Cork" in Dewey Beach ? The time reference coincides w a concert I caught at the "Rack". There were some comments about "true fans". They were resentful about people only being there cause they heard the hits. Stupid attitude. But other than that they sounded fine to me. If they re usually better they must be amazing.

5. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

At the Stockyards Music Festival in Fort Worth, in 2012, I was disappointed by two old favorites from my younger days: Hank Williams Jr., and David Allan Coe.

Coe was about as I expected, though I'll never understand using that kind of language onstage.

Merle and the Strangers were the next to last act, right before Hank Jr.--and I've always been sorry I didn't just leave happy, before Williams came on. He was either drunk or stoned nearly out of his mind, and the show was pathetic and creepy. He talked to his deceased parents nearly the entire time, and only played bits and pieces of his songs. It was disconcerting after a time--like listening to an hour-long radio ad for a concert, cutting in and out of different songs. He did, however, play just about every instrument you can think of.

On a more positive note, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Shooter Jennings, for my first time, at this same show. I didn't know anything about his material; he's like a blend of his Dad, and maybe Bob Seger. Terrific performer.

brookdalebill likes this.
  6. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

I just saw Shooter a few weeks ago in concert. He was great! Fantastic stage presence, great supporting musicians (Ted Kamp and whoever he had playing fiddle...she KILLED it on the fiddle!). I *almost* wrote about this concert given the context of the thread - nobody in the crowd was into it! The whole house was just standing still! It was very bizarre...last show I was at that was so still was The Heart And The Hand, and they're an uber-pretentious hipster band. There were a bunch of older folks, probably expecting a pure Waylon clone, and a bunch of younger folks, no doubt expecting some form of pop-country, so I'd dare bet that over half the crowd had no idea what they were in for.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  7. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I was pretty excited about going to see Loretta Lynn in a club a few years back. Then the show started.

brookdalebill likes this.
  8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Aaarg!!

I took my mom to a Yanni concert. I had blocked it out but now I'm picturing him in his flowing robes. I want to un-see it!!!

[​IMG]

Last year one of my salespeople bought good tickets to see Def Leppard at Summerfest in the Amphitheatre and I went with the group to help entertain (meaning I paid for dinner & everything). Garbage was playing on the Harley Davidson stage at the same time and I love Shirley Manson & Butch Vig.......but I was watching Def Leppard. I looked at my iPhone half way through the show and acted like we had other customers on the grounds. I had to go to my "other thing". I shook hands and booked. Dinner and drinks were paid for. I made a getaway.

Shirley Manson was/is beautiful in every way.

Hexabuzz and uriah1 like this.
  9. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

May have been BOTR..but I don't remember them talking..at all, just sorta churned thru some stuff for maybe 45 min very sloppy. Perhaps they were there for two nights, or maybe there were two shows, I'm not and never have been a real latenick, so could have even been a afternoon all ages thing, which would explain much..been a while so I'm not really sure, bit they were BAD..

10. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Bummer, they were good at the Rack, but they did have that Bar Band too long vibe.

11. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Kenny Wayne Sheppard at the Show Boat Atlantic City. I had a few months ago heard him w G4 and he was actually the stand out always using just the right amount of notes. But in AC he was either drunk or part of the opioid crisis, sloppy and stupid, worst than a starting bar band.

12. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The Guess Who in 1969 or 1970. Lead singer was a total *******. Just a teenager, went backstage with my girlfriend and I took his photo with my Kodak Instamatic. He made a crude remark about what I was going to do with the photo. I pulled the film right out of the camera, stripped it clean out of the cartridge in front of him and said, "**** your photo man"

13. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Sugarland.... my wife liked them when they first came out. Was horrific...
    She fell down once too, the sugar land lady, not my wife.

brookdalebill and BuckSatan like this.
  14. teledude1958

teledude1958 TDPRI Member

The Who, December 3rd, 1979, Riverfront coliseum, Cincinnati,Ohio. I think you all know the story behind that one. The show was great though, because I didn't know what happened til I got home that night.

15. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

No, it's just the rest of us wouldn't admit it in public! :D

Harry Styron and 6stringcowboy like this.
  16. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I saw the Smithereens at the Hollywood Palladium on the "Green Thoughts" tour, with Dramarama opening. They weren't bad, but I wasn't too impressed, either. In 2013, I saw them play a free concert at L.A.'s Pershing Square and they were really good. I had seen X and The Psychedelic Furs in the same venue earlier in the summer, and the Smithereens show was the most enjoyable of the bunch, in part because their crowd was the most sane (too many dirty old punks and funky Silver Lake and DTLA types for X, smoking pot and getting drunk), but they also put on a really good show.

The Smithereens are still gigging, but lead singer Pat DiNizio cannot play guitar right now due to nerve damage to his right arm.

17. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Was she still cute after falling down? (The Sugarland lady, not your wife.) I assume you mean Jennifer Nettles.

18. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

Allmans at Nippert in early nineties.....Not their fault....they might not have even known, Worst PA ever.

Moody Blues, Riverbend 2008?...with a symphony, just not interesting enough. Stayed til they played Just a singer in a rock n roll band, halfway through and split.

19. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Sorry to hear that, I respect their work ethic. It takes something to keep a band going that long with out ever quite getting the brass ring and I always enjoyed the albums, everyone can have a off gig.

drlucky likes this.
  20. deech54

deech54 Tele-Meister

Not a concert but I went to see the Hickoid's in a club. The band was about to start and I was front and center. As soon as they started I found myself in an instant mosh pit. Knocked to the floor and soaked in beer. I was gone before the second song started...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.