1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What concert do you regret having actually attended?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gmountain, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Believer

Believer Tele-Meister

Jerry Jeff Walker in Starkville Mississippi, '83 or '84. He was so drunk he couldn't remember the words, didn't let Gary P. Nunn sing "London Homesick Blues", AND it was in the aptly-named STARKville--"The Land that Fun Forgot" according to ESPN.

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just finished volunteering for a local festival Friday night.

While working the bevvie tent for the main stage, we we're dancin' and singin' and moovin' to the groovin' ...

Then, saw two cool @&$ bands on some free stages, came back for the headliner (and I won't say who) ... my wife fell asleep in the grass on my lap, and our drummer passed out next to me, and it WASN'T substances ... just sayin' ...

3. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

was the blues traveler show on july 4 2017?

4. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Mungo Jerry at the Whisky in Hollywood, my girlfriend wanted to go.

Kris Kristofferson at Berkeley Community Theatre in late '70s. He was so high he could barely stand.

Return to Forever at Berkeley Community Theatre. Noodling and whee whee and slap bass and polyrhythms.

5. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

The Police in Madison, WI (Headliners) in March, 1979. They had a very limited repertoire (IIRC, we got the disco version of Roxanne, in addition to the regular one and the country one). I think they were rather annoyed, because the opening band, a popular local band Spooner, was received with wild enthusiasm, whereas the Police were received with rather polite and restrained applause.

Also, Boston at the Dane County Coliseum in 1977. They were so loud that my ears were ringing for days after...

Zepfan likes this.
  6. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Basilica Block Party?

7. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Tom Petty couple years ago. Smithereens opened and were great. Petty and group came on and it was VERY BAD. Played everything at half speed, looked really baked and like they didn't want to be there and half way through neither did me and the wife so we left. Fortunately we only paid $25.00 for each ticket and that was worth the Smithereens. In end all we lost was some time and Petty lost a few fans (a few others were leaving and shaking their heads). I'm sure he still can sleep at night.

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

David Crosby at the Great American Music Hall in SF in the early '80's, solo. He was so high he was on another planet. Forgot lyrics, stopped songs in the middle. He was a mess.

I've seen him several times since he got cleaned up (even got to spend time with him), so he's made it up to me.

9. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

delete

10. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

My friend Jim would love this.He's boycotted Neil young since a show in the seventies,
    where Young told them to f off and walked off!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  11. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Concrete Blonde, 2003, in Minneapolis. Concrete Blond is one of my all time favorite bands..I LOVE Jim Mankey's guitar playing and Jonnette's voice, and they got together for a brief stint after a decade apart. Sadly, it was one of those shows where they play everything differently than the recordings, and after nearly 15 years of listening to their albums, I was VERY disappointed to hear everything slowed down and changed up. It actually made me sad when I left..like they say, never meet your heroes. It left a negative stain on my love of their music.

Bruxist likes this.
  12. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Whitesnake. Back in the big hair days of the 80s. Toronto.

Not my kind of music but a friend's brother was in town to take a couple of classes, didn't know anyone but me and managed to win tickets.

Some local band came on. I cannot remember who they were. Their sound was muddy. They sounded like machinery with a drum.
    The next band was some blues band. I forget their name, too. 4 middle aged guys who didn't know they were long past their sell by date. Someone said it they had a hit song in the 70s. It was sad to see them strut and pose, hitting pretty much every cliché including a bass solo. On the last song, the singer ripped off his shirt to show his pasty, bloated beer belly.

Then the headliners hit the stage. The audience mostly lost their enthusiasm by then. The band stopped trying to win them back after a couple of songs. I spent the rest of the concert being wingman to my friend's brother as he tried to hit on one of the women behind us by yelling over the music. He quickly struck out with the cute one. The ugly one threw up on my shoe. Then some guy behind them decided he was going to fight both of us because we were "bothering the ladies."

What a waste of time.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I recall that was on SUNDAY!! SUNDAY!!

Joel Terry likes this.
  14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've seen those guys a bunch of times. And yeah, EVERYONE played at Headliners, back in the day

bsman likes this.
  15. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

That was not tuning, it was the performance!

1955, scrapyardblue and Ooba Tooba like this.
  16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think I really regret ever going to a show, but there were a couple I've been underwhelmed with. BB opening for Peter Frampton's Guitar Circus in 2013. He just talked his whole set, barely played, and he was the one I was there to see. Fortunately Sonny Landreth and Frampton both put on great shows. I got see BB a year later, just about a month before he played his last show, and it was well worth it.
    Van Halen in 1993(ish?) was a letdown; Sammy was sick and you could tell, and someone threw something up onto the stage and hit Eddie's guitar. I saw him flip the guy off and motion for security. He wasn't himself the rest of the night.

17. beezerboy

beezerboy Tele-Meister

another vote for J Guiles... left early, they sucked.... not in a good way

18. beezerboy

beezerboy Tele-Meister

oh yea... Kiss too, but that may have been their first tour... it was a drive in theater in Alaska & they opened for the remnants of Canned Heat who also suked really bad.

19. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

The 1990s iteration of Canned Heat about 20 years ago. The were on a UK tour playing smaller venues.

Truly dire.

20. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

By far the worst - Bruce Springsteen Born in the USA tour - finished at 90 mins - great I'm off only to be told he would be back to play another 90 mins - Dire - just not my thing

Dream Theater - saw them twice after the awake tour - James need to call it a day and they collectively need to write better songs

Jimi Jamison playing with a bought in band when the guitarist didn't know the songs, Jimi was great but with out the correct guitar lines it was pointless

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.