1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What concert do you regret having actually attended?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gmountain, Jul 9, 2017.

1. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

J Giles Band... early 70's, they sucked donkey balls, walked out. went to see the James Gang, except no Joe Walsh... 2 other guys plus the old bass & drummer. totally by surprise, no publicity about Joe quitting... they just added a couple guys to capitalize on the name. total rip. the only good thing was the guitar guy played Traynor amps & they sounded good. he (thinkin it was Dom Troyano?) tried, and he was good, but it wasn't the real James Gang so I felt ripped off.

2. TNJed

TNJed NEW MEMBER!

OMG, an old post but got a good laugh! Was searching for info on this show and found this post. This was my first show at 15 and I LOVED Stephen Stills. Nice small theater with great acoustics. The first few songs sounded bad and then the entire band left the stage for at least 20 minutes. Someone made an announcement that the bass player, George "Chocolate" Perry had broke a string and they didn't have any replacements so they had to get a local shop to open to get one. What? Made no sense even to a 15 year old at his first show. I'm thinking someone had overdone the pharmaceuticals and needed a break. Bonnie Bramlett (of Delaney & Bonnie and Friends fame) was singing harmony and some lead. She was terrible at both. Full on butchered Love The One Your With. It took a ton of convincing to to get my parents let me go and I left thinking OMG, is this what a like show is like? Fortunately I had already purchased tickets to see The Who and the Grateful Dead in the coming weeks. Those are still among my favorite shows of many, many since.

On a related note, I saw a good CSN show several years later and managed to sneak backstage afterwards. Stephen Stills was trying to make his way to the tour bus and got disoriented and confused despite the bus being in plain sight through an enormous open stage door. David Crosby seemed even more messed up. Then I bumped into Graham Nash and actually got the opportunity to speak to him briefly. He was extremely gracious to a young teen who had no business being backstage in the first place!

Chip and RoscoeElegante like this.
  3. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Ray Charles at Avery Fisher Hall in the '70s. They had recently renovated the sound system and it wasn't working to Ray's satisfaction. He was pissed off, started and stopped several songs, and walked off after 20 minutes.

Tickets were refunded; I snagged a few extra stubs out of the ashtrays, made a few bucks on the deal at least. But a huge disappointment.

Torren61 likes this.
  4. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Bob Dylan, probably ten years ago. He, and his band played a concert at the Rapid City Civic Center arena.

We had pretty good seats. I don't think I understood five words he uttered during the entire evening.

Oh well...it was Bob Dylan.

Chip and Torren61 like this.
  5. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Torren61 likes this.
  6. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Holy Necro-Thread, Batman!

Easy answer. Aerosmith, 1978, Philly, The Spectrum. Damn near a riot. Some tool threw a bottle at Steven Tyler and the show was cancelled after four songs. No refund.

tubegeek likes this.
  7. mark53

mark53 TDPRI Member

Kraftwerk. Nuff said.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.