1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What concert do you regret having actually attended?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gmountain, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Generic Schmoe

Generic Schmoe Tele-Meister

Aerosmith back in the early 80's. Can't remember the exact year. They were lackluster. It was shortly before all of them wound up in rehab.

Torren61 likes this.
  2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Just to be clear, I didn't say that. I don't buy every Jeff Beck release (most of them these days are live recordings anyway) and he's much more of a player than a composer, but I would hardly describe his playing as "noise".

Bassman8 and dogmeat like this.
  3. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The English Beat at the 930 Club in DC a couple of years ago. Dave Wakeling was in a bizarre giggly mood, totally failing to gel with the band and making odd anachronistic jokes about Sting. The toaster/hype man whose name I forget (not Rankin Roger) was trying to amp up the crowd and DW was making fun of him. Plus, it was one of maybe two times I've been at a show and thought the band wasn't loud enough. I had to shush the people next to us so I could hear. It was godawful and embarrassing, especially for a band that put on one of the best shows I've seen back in 1982.

Honorable mention: Fu Manchu, one of my favorite bands, playing through full cranked Marshall stacks in a space roughly the size of my living room. Aiee.

Torren61 and WilburBufferson like this.
  4. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Not sorry I went, but I saw Gov't Mule, Allman Bros and Phil Lesh and Friends. I really went for the Mule and Warren Haynes didn't disappoint, but then there was a long break and the Allman Bros opened with 5-6 songs I'd never even heard of....I was out of there. It was an outdoor thing and I was roasted by that time anyway.

5. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

the Go-Gos, very early in their career, at a tiny club in Charlotte NC

We were fed a bunch of hype about how wonderful they were and basically chided/begged into going.

They were dreadful. One guitarist, Charlotte, was reasonably accomplished at a sort of beginner/intermediate level... Weidlin couldnt even tune her own guitar.

Horrible band. Couldnt believe how good they got later.

Practice makes perfect I guess.

6. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

By all accounts I've heard, you must be able to sleep through a bombing, because ELO was freaking loud as hell.
    Never really regretted any show I've seen - closest would be Loverboy, who basically just mailed it in all night, but I really went to see their opening act, the Hooters. And Hooters in their brief opener set made the show well worth attending. Same goes for Santana opening for Dylan when I saw them. Dylan was gawdawful, sounded like the entire band was drunk and playing different songs concurrently. Literally could not recognize a single thing they played, and I'm fairly well versed in Bob's catalog. But man, Santana ripped it.

7. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Several years ago I saw Joe Satriani at the Vic in Chicago and while he is a master technician, he was so loud that my ears rang for literally two weeks. I am sure I had some hearing loss from that show.

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Closest thing to regret is the The Walkmen. Love those guys but the sound was crap and it was freaking hot (ac was broken). Get that? AC was broken in Tempe, Arizona. At least it felt like that, I don't remember much, was too much into the date I brought that night.

Torren61 likes this.
  9. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Please DELETE THIS.

10. SomeVelvetMorning

SomeVelvetMorning Tele-Meister

Drove 3 hours to see a very indie band that I loved in a small bar, only to find out they had just completely changed their sound and lineup and didn't even sound like the same band and weren't playing any of their old songs. THAT sucked.

11. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

All concet comment deletions must be arranged through TICKETMASTER

Torren61, Uncle Bob, Anode100 and 2 others like this.
  12. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Hmmm, some of my worst.

Buck Cherry, Breaking Benjamin. Don't remember which one, but one of the Lpllapalooza from the late 90s was super terrible because of technical issues and Perry Ferrel throwing a fit.

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Hooters was a great band that knew how to write memorable pop songs. They had a good keyboard sound, but they were a guitar band at the core. When the guitarists show up with a Telecaster and a Les Paul Junior I assume they're serious. Nowhere to hide, musically, playing those. That, and one of those guys also added mandolin to several songs. Had a double-neck, solid body mandolin, as well. It's an overexposed MTV vid, but here it is...

14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Back in the 80's I saw an ad for a Herman's Hermits gig and my sort of girlfriend and I got tickets immediately. We showed up at 5:00 PM to get good seats for the 7:00 PM show and saw that the venue was a huge club with a 3-sided stage. It was down the street from a Chrysler plant and the factory guys just off their shift were at the bar for 2 hours pounding quart bottles(!) of Pabst, Stroh's, and other cheap stuff.

"Herman's Hermits" came on sans Peter Noone who had apparently refused to tour with them. One of the other guys sang and the band was just horrible. Sloppy, sloppy playing with contrived enthusiasm. *We* were embarrassed for the band and ticked off that we'd paid good money for tickets. We lasted for a half hour and left.

15. Lilleaton

Lilleaton TDPRI Member

Lou Reed, 2006, Hultsfred festival in Sweden.

The good bits: he did Sunday morning, Waiting for the man, Heroin, possibly Coney Island baby. Not sure about the last one.

The bad stuff? Just... Just everything else. Mumbeled his way through the lyrics, clearly bored, and somewhere halfway through three in some kind of a tai-chi performance I'm the background. My best friend fell asleep, my then girlfriend spontaneously menstruated. I dag through it, but dear Lord... That evening Lou Reed got me into the not fully legal medication just so I could get my mind off him! ;-) oh, I was so young and still unwrinkly... Still wish I'd missed it and had the pleasure of regretting not going.

16. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

BHS are only worth it indoors, in the dark, except stage lights. Saw them at Lollapalooza, outdoors, and it was a disappointment. I'd only seen them indoors up to that point. Without the multiple movie screens running, and all of the sound contained in a room, it looses everything that made them work.

17. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Same tour, same reaction. Four of us went, four of us agreed Santana had become a parody of himself. Even the use of feedback had become a schtick. What made it worse was that Jeff Beck had been so heavy, that Santana wouldn't have had a chance even if he'd been giving it everything he had.

Truth is, about 1/3 to 1/2 the audience was walking by the time Santana was into his second song.

Pointmonger likes this.
  18. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

Uriah Heep in the early 1970s at the Salt Palace in Salt Lake City. My ears rang for four days after. I thought I was going to be permanently deaf.

19. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

it was ZZ Top with Loverboy opening, the dude from loverboy couldn't hit the big notes, and ZZ just had a bad mix, it was all kinda "Wall of White Noisy)
    my ears were sizzling for days after that.

20. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

This is really horrible; but BB King. He was well past being able to perform. I felt terrible but I couldn't watch it. We left. I still feel bad about it but it was an embarrassment.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.