1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What concert do you regret having actually attended?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gmountain, Jul 9, 2017.

1. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I saw Spirit in SF; must have been early 70's. They'd had a falling out with promoter Bill Graham. They hit the stage with posters of Bobby Sherman taped to their amps and played one song about being a rock and roll who're playing at the Fillmore before walking off.

Big disappointment but I'm still a fan. Wonder what BG did to p*ss them off.

2. GK34

GK34 Tele-Meister

Neil Young Greendale, the rock opera he did a while back. Being a big fan of his music, I guess I can enjoy most anything he plays. It just bugs me that he plays an entire show of brand new material that his audience doesn't know, showing no concern for what the audience actually wants to hear.

Granted he did close with a few classics, after sitting though 2 hours of the other stuff.

Just wasn't a fit for me.

3. badger51

badger51 Tele-Meister

Bonnie Rait at the Capitol Theater in Madison. It was so loud people left their seats and stood in the hallways or stuffed their ears with TP. She kept spouting "what's the matter Madison? You used to be such a great party audience". Could it have been the blood dripping out of our ears!!

Worst arena concert was at the downtown Milwaukee Arena late 70's. Uriah Heep and BOC. You honestly could not tell what song they were playing. 120 dbs of boom and echo. Total waste

4. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

The Butthole Surfers, it was a weird outdoor venue (a giant empty wading pool) broad daylight and hot, the audience was all pasty white and I swear you could smell their skin frying in the sun.

5. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

I went to two NASCAR cup races when they had them at Rockingham. Rednecks and alcohol is a dangerous mix.

6. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Was Sonny Landreth in the band then?

7. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I honestly don't know. I first heard Sonny Landreth on the Beausoleil album Bayou Boogie, and thought he was the best thing on there. That was about that time, so... maybe?

8. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

I unintentionally got caught up in a mosh pit at a Lollapalooza in the early '90s. Was kicked in the back of the head, lost my glasses for a moment. Got the heck out of Dodge asap.

9. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

My best friend saw ELO at the Silverdome back then. I'll never forget how upset he was the next day, he said it sounded like ELO had been playing with prerecorded tracks.

10. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Bon Jovi was one, Def Leppard was another. Just not my style. And Jo Jo Gunn opening for someone at Winterland that was so loud it was unbearable. Also unbearably loud was Neil Young's Rust Never Sleeps at the Cow Palace. I had to keep my fingers in my ears the whole show, and is one of the reasons I now have tinnitus. I later read an interview with Neil where he said he'd done it on purpose 'cause he wanted it to be the loudest thing anyone ever heard. I thought that was pretty cruel. Just 'cause he wanted to ruin his hearing, he didn't have to ruin 15,000 other people's hearing with him. And the Dead at one of their many shows at Shoreline. Jerry played the best solos I've ever heard from him on the first set. Then they took a break and when they came back they did two hours of space music and drum solos. I never went to another Dead show, 'cause they always played three or four nights in a row, and you never knew which night was gonna be rock and roll night and which one was gonna be spacejam night. Also, a Byrds reunion tour that didn't include Roger, Chris, or Crosby (or Clarence and Gram, but they were both already deceased). I think it was the drummer, and whoever he'd hired. We demanded our money back, and got it, which encouraged a bunch of other people to demand a refund, too. The one I wish I'd seen that I didn't was the Allman Bros. with Duane at Winterland. My sister and all our friends went, but I had traffic school that night, 'cause I'd gotten a speeding ticket. You had to go four weeks in a row, and it was my fourth one, and if I missed it I would have had to go to all four all over again. So, I decided I'd see Duane the next tour. He died two weeks later.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  11. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I saw that same SRV show at the indoor Oakland Coliseum and Jeff opened and SRV closed. I read that they traded back and forth every night. We got the unlucky night. And I'd forgotten Santana until you mentioned it. I think he played a Strat. That was about the last time I liked Jeff. I agree with you that most of the time now he just makes noise. There's a couple of exceptions like "A Day in the LIfe" but not much else. I'd also second the comments about BOA and Molly Hatchett. And someone said they saw Marshall Tucker just two years ago. Funny, since both Toy and Tommy died many years ago. I also saw some band calling themselves "The new Buffalo Springfield". I think it was Bruce Palmer with a bunch of nobodies. No Stills, Young, Furay, or Messina.

12. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

A few.

Lou Reed on the Magic and Loss tour. Torture.

Emmylou Harris at the Albert Hall. I love EH, but it just didn't spark that night.

Lucinda Williams. Love her records, but her onstage charisma that night had taken the night off.

13. DatGuitarBoi

DatGuitarBoi TDPRI Member

Warped Tour

14. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Saw The Sweet at Selina's at Coogee Bay. That venue holds about 500 people, but they used to cram in more. Anyway Andy Scott had 3 (yes 3) Marshall stacks labelled "Loud", "Louder" and "Loudest". It was too damned loud so I left after about 5 songs.

15. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

Saw Jeff Beck and Carlos Santana years ago. Beck opened and Santana closed. Walked out 30 minutes into Carlos' set. He was just mailing it in. Very disappointing.

16. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Allen Jackson! Talk about watching paint dry.

Bassman8 likes this.
  17. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

Motley Crue - Theatre of Pain tour. Suuuuuuucked big time. Pain was all they got right. They were beyond wasted when they hit the stage.

18. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

My mother used to work with the sister of Freddy Garrity (Freddy and the Dreamers) a 60's band from the UK. They'd been out of fashion for a while but did a sort of "come-back" tour with another band "Peter Noone and Herman's Hermits". I was given a couple of tickets to see the gig at the King's Hall @ Belle Vue in Manchester. It wasn't my sort of music and I was so glad to get home.

The other one was Buzzcocks at The Apollo in Manchester (1978?). Again, I'd been given tickets and I'm always up for new musical experiences. However, they were awful. Couldn't keep time, dreadful vocals, some idiot fans ripped up seats (probably due to sheer boredom).

19. markjames

markjames Tele-Meister

Ted Nugent - Hammersmith Odeon Early 80s
    Extreme - Same Venue many years later...

Both way too loud.....and very horrible.!...LOL

dogmeat likes this.
  20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aerosmith in the late 70s.
    Giants Stadium, NJ
    Tyler and Perry were wasted and stumbling.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.