1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What concert do you regret having actually attended?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gmountain, Jul 9, 2017.

1. tbb007

tbb007 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Forum in LA. Third-billed was Southwind ("Ready to Ride"), who would later give us ultimate guilty pleasure Moon Martin.

2. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Billy Corgan is possibly the worst singer ever from a mega popular band. Laughable, really.

3. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Like madonna following queen at live aid. She'd have done a much more comparable job later but queen just lay waste to nearly everyone after.

4. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

August Jam at the Charlotte NC speedway, 1974. Big, rowdy crowd. Mountains of liquor bottles, people walking around with needles hanging out of their arms. I was in an altered state, only half noticed the violent clashes at the gate. Did notice that our van had been broken into. Took awhile to sink in that this was not a cool day of music. A dangerous vibe. When we had finally sobered up, getting ready to go, somebody firebombed a nearby car. We hightailed it out of there, very happy to leave.

5. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I have seen a ton of shows and the only one I really felt offended by was Toby Keith. My father had planned on going with my step mother, but she was unable to go at the last minute, so I went with him. It was a giant ad for Dodge, and his performance was phoned in, came off as arrogant. Terrible. If he was going to make his paying fans sit through the Dodge ads, he should have at least given some sort of effort. He didn't.
    I saw other stuff when I worked at a club, like Johnny Winter nearly falling off a stool for 45 minutes with his mouth about a foot to the left of the mic, seemingly not noticing. It was sad. I wasn't offended because rather than paying to see it, I was working and getting paid.

haggardfan1 and brookdalebill like this.
  6. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Chris Robinson, my old school mate, latest incarnation, is miserably bearded boringness.
    Walked out halfway in. Bad songs. Bad singing. Bad band.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You could hear me from Texas?:rolleyes:

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I am a Loretta fan, but I love a good, succinct, sarcastic review.
    Bravo!
    The concerts I regret attending are :
    Pre-Steve Perry Journey, at the Armadillo World Headquarters, it was a boring Neil Schon wank fest.
    Johnny Winter, on my 18th B'day in 1975, deafening.
    Point Bank opened, and were great.
    DiMeola, DeLucia, and McLaughlin, early 1980s, another boring speed acoustic wank fest.
    Steve Morse opened and saved the day, he was versatile, musical, and entertaining.
    The Police, early 80s, City Coliseum, deafening (bad room acoustics).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  9. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

One of my dearest friends, actually the dad of wife #2, was for a time a roadie for Black Oak Arkansas. We had many a good conversation about concerts and such.

10. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I won't go as far as saying I regret any of these, but they are memorable for not great reasons.

1) I saw Zappa at Stanford in 1977 with the "Sheik Yerbouti" band. This was light years away from my favorite "One Size Fits All" which had only been released 2 years prior. It was in a basketball pavilion with a flexible floor and the crowd managed to get the floor and stage swaying so after asking people to stop it, Frank said, "concert's over" and left. It was at the encore by that time but I still came away with a bad vibe.

In fact almost all FZ concerts I attended confounded my expectations. The 1984 tour confounded just about everyone as the percussionist had been replaced by a guy playing marimba parts on a DX7. The band sound was intentionally cheezy (electronic drums) to cast "irony" on the prevailing musical trends of the day, but it just made his music sound cheezy as a result.

I really regret NOT seeing the 1988 tour but it did not make it to the west coast.

2) I saw Taj Mahal at a club in San Jose in the mid 80s. His warm up act was a (probably) local older gentleman who had an electric guitar and a Yamaha drum machine. He'd spend the first minute or two OF EACH SONG trying to get the right tempo on the drum machine which was just playing the default pattern 1 boom-bap-boom-bap. After about 3 or 4 songs like this I thought there was going to be a riot.

3) I went to see Michael Bolton because there was some girl I was kinda interested in. She thought he was the greatest and I didn't make the love connection. No recollection of it at all other than I thought his hair was kinda dumb.

4) I saw Vassar Clements because I really liked his bluegrass and sorta-country-fusion thing I'd seen once before. But the second time he played what seemed to me was either bebop or country swing, which I wasn't that into. That's a bit like when I saw David Bromberg in Chicago and he'd hired a local group for backing which was pretty much straight up blues with a B3 player. He's so versatile that I missed the other stuff (bluegrass/celtic) he usually did with his regular band.

11. Blue

Blue Tele-Afflicted

Chuck Prophet, he was rubbish. We called him Chuck him out.

12. schnulli

schnulli Tele-Meister

Chuck Berry, in the late 1990'ies (I think).

:(

brookdalebill likes this.
  13. dlew919

Queen. Because after that there was no way I was not going to be a musician. My bank and credit card company might regret that more than I do.

More seriously sting with Branford Marsalis. Boring, self indulgent and somnolent.

14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The Smashing Pumpkins albums sounded amazing, but they sucked live.

15. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Gino Vanelli. Had last minute free tickets. Never heard of him. Walked out after 10 minutes.

16. dlew919

I guess wild horses could have dragged you away ...

17. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Weird , I think it was the same tour at University of Md. in some gym Silver Springs area, ugly standing wave at some wolf tone frequency and an overly protective or just a jackass fire marshall who had Frank constantly telling the crowd to move back. They cut it short w either no , or at least less than normal encores.

18. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

My ex wife is a close family friend of Duke Erickson and his daughter. Heard a lot of great Spooner stories, including some at Headliners.

19. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I saw Clifton Chenier at Tipitina's in the late 80's. His band came out and as is typical for some acts, played a warm up tune before the star came on. Then they played another one. After 4 warm up songs Clifton came hobbling out with his walker to get to his chair, then they set his accordion in his lap. Of course, he was just old and props to him to keep performing. He passed away a few months later.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I thought he had that great guitar player and , uh, well - don't they do a lot of Dead covers ? And their originals sound like , uh, well - Dead covers ?

I bet I would stay for the whole thing , all the while thinking - this isn't great - why am I still here ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.