1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What concert do you regret having actually attended?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gmountain, Jul 9, 2017.

1. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

Eric Clapton in 95. I was a superfan back then, owned all the records, played his solos. I flew to another town to see him. He played about 75mins of blues standarfs mostly from his latest album (from the cradle), he didn't play a single song from Cream or solo career, blind faith, D&D. I was so disappointed. I get you want to make the concert thematic but 2 or 3 songs at the end wouldn't have killed him.

Sonic Youth and Chemical Brothers in 96 or so. Just poor musicianship, bad performances. IMHO, that is.

2. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

I'm a huge Dylan fan, don't get me wrong, but unintelligible "sung" is kind of his thing. :)

I saw him live in 92 or so last, so it may have degraded since.

3. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Eric Clapton sometime in the '80s- boring, bad sound, the band looked bored. Also in that time, Lou Reed, again, boring.

4. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

SLADE! June 19, 1976

The story goes...Aerosmith, (warm up band: 'Slade' British Band), 8 PM, BeBop Productions, Mississippi Coliseum, Jackson, MS. The “ROCKS” tour followed Slade's move to the States, and my ears are still ringing 'bad' from their set. o_O

Aerosmith wasn't loud at all. ;)

5. tlagosh

tlagosh Tele-Meister

1990 SRV opened for Joe Cocker. SRV played for about 90 minutes and was awesome. Halfway through Cockers first song, there was a line to get OUT.

6. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

The Toadies, Sonic Youth and Santana. Santana screwed up by having Jeff Beck open for him. That only cast in sharp relief how cheesy he was. I always loved his guitar playing on those early records. By the 90's, he'd descended into self parody. His playing seemed to have become a formula, with the tremolo picking and feedback, in predictable patterns. Then he picks a number of blond females to come on stage and beat percussion instruments. More feedback and tremolo picking, etc. By the third song the place had lost half the audience. That's when my wife and I decided to bail.

I really wonder if it would have been different if Jeff Beck hadn't opened for him.

7. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

Man, these mentions of the Smithereens remind me of a show where my band played first- in suits at high noon in a mostly empty outdoor arena- on a bill with Superdrag, Edwin McCain, Sloan, Molly Hatchet, The Smithereens, the Village People and the B-52s in Charleston, SC. Man, we played for about 300 people in a 10,000 person venue. The Smithereens were received like they were the freakin' Beatles! I don't know what it was, but they were on fire and the audience acted like they were a huge band. Every song was met with a near riot and full-audience sing along.

8. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Lene Lovich last year, I was super excited to go, the woman is a punk icon.

The band was so lackluster, she tried to whip them up but to no avail. I left the show with a nagging "They weren't even trying" feeling.

9. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

I saw Dylan too, somewhere in NC, and it might as well have been a band rehearsal. He just stood off to the side playing a keyboard, and I don't think there was any interaction with the audience except once he said to give the band a hand.

10. idburn4u

idburn4u TDPRI Member

Back Street Boys
    (So ashamed)

11. JohnnyGringo

JohnnyGringo TDPRI Member

I played a club show opener for Jerry Reed back in the late 80's. After our hour and fifteen minute set-unusually long, but encouraged by club management-we took our seats. I was THRILLED to be seeing JR in a small club setting, and getting paid to boot!

After about half an hour later, club management came and asked if we would be willing to play another set-seems as if JR had just shown up after having taken off in a car with someone earlier that afternoon when the bus had arrived...needless to say, he was hammered!

We played another set, and lo and behold, out stumbles JR-barely able to walk, I might add. The band did most of the playing, and he stumbled and mumbled his way through the show.

The reality of show biz hit me in the head that night...

Teleterr likes this.
  12. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Tim McGraw and Faith Hill a couple months ago. Horrible sound, so loud all you could hear was bass and drums, nothing else. May have been a good band couldn't tell. Left after an hour.

13. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

Grateful Dead 6 months before Jerry died. Steve Miller opened up. I had a free ticket so I shouldn't complain but that sucked. Plus I hate hippie music. The end.

14. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

What were you expecting?

haggardfan1 likes this.
  15. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

An awesome country-western band backing up some great singing and duets. Maybe it was there but we couldn't hear it for the deafening bass and percussion levels. Not too much to ask for the money. They did have laser lights though.

16. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

I'm pretty sure you just described hell.

wblynch and blille like this.
  17. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Just putting this out there:
    Usually I wear earplugs when attending concerts. It cuts down on the reverberation of a venue with poor acoustics (or a bad mix) and makes it easier to listen to.

Teleterr likes this.
  18. Cobrav

Cobrav TDPRI Member

Back in '66 or '67 I went to see the Grateful Dead in Fresno. I was looking forward to it because they had been building a reputation along with other bands from San Francisco. They came out, following a popular local band, and started their first song. It was some non-descript song I didn't recognize that seemed like it would never end. It may have been a blues song as I wasn't very familiar with the genre at the time. I may have stayed for the start of the second song but quickly went home to watch The Avengers.

19. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Jerry noodling vs mrs. Peel in skin tight shear leather. I love the Dead, but you made the right call.

20. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I ve heard Clapton and the Stones w this level of crap sound ! No excuse for a top tier act.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.