What commercially successful bands do you think are overrated?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, May 6, 2019.

1. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

Actually, Mick could have said "Let's spend the night together" on TV, but not without "consequences". The show went out live, so he could have sang or said anything he wanted, and as far as I know, they didn't even have tape delay back in those days. It was Sullivan and/or his producers (or possibly some network executive) who objected to the lyric, not the FCC.

As far as those consequences go, The Doors were banned from The Ed Sullivan Show because Morrison sang "Girl, you know we couldn't get much higher". But that's all. They still appeared on other TV shows, and their career doesn't seem to have been affected too greatly by said ban.

Personally, though, I think Mick rolling his eyes as he sang "Let's spend some time together" was more subversive than Morrison singing Light My Fire as originally written. Mick was subtly acknowledging how outdated the "standards and practices" around such things were.

Pointmonger and Straydogger like this.
  2. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

Yep. First three or four albums good. The rest? Not so good. MTV ruined them.....and made them.

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

Definitely Rush. When they first came out I thought " Here's a band that plays songs with no beginning and no end. Just a bunch of noise." Could be just me though. :)

4. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

And that guy from Jersey......can't remember his name right now....:rolleyes:

5. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

Your point is taken, but I certainly didn't think the Beatles were attempting subversion. Not at that point. They were attempting stardom, and working within the cultural norms of the time in order to achieve it. That other bands pushed the envelope doesn't really tell me much, other than that the culture was changing at the time and different bands reacted to that in different ways.

The Beatles didn't really become anything near subversive until a few years later, when they moved from their early works to the Help/Rubber Soul/Revolver era. And they really subverted the pop music paradigm more than the cultural norms. They kind of became standard bearers in some ways, but I don't think they were the progenitors of those changes.

Straydogger likes this.
  6. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

My parents watched his show every week when I was a kid. When the Beatles came around my dad acted like someone punched him in the face. I guess he was one of the first to think they were overrated. :)

SacDAve likes this.
  7. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

Whaaaaat? Rio Grande Mud, baby!

8. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was always like this with Radiohead and then one day within the last year something flipped in my brain and now I think they're amazing.

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  9. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

I was crazy over The Bends, but it took me some time to get into Ok Computer. Then, like you, one day a little snippet of melody caught my ear and something clicked. Now they're one of my all time favorites.

10. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

I hate these threads enough to respond.:)

Any band that rises to the level of fame and success to be then determined by TDPRI as over rated is most likely a collection of talented, hard working musicians/entertainers who are deserving of the praise.

Just because you don't like 'em, doesn't mean they are over rated.

Can we go back to "what color pickguard" now?

11. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

I may be asking for trouble saying this on a guitar forum but . . . Cream - and Clapton in general.

12. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

Let's be real... The OP asked for bands we think are overrated. This whole thread is premised on sharing opinions, not on declaring facts.

13. e23589

e23589 Tele-Meister

Rascal Flatts

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  14. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

Thems fightin' words down here in da South!

Everything else, can't disagree with you unless maybe you had said Ginger was hotter than Mary Ann.

Oh yeah, and personally I always like Bailey better.

Forgot to add my $.02 on the original OP question: Mumford & Sons. Sheesh :rolleyes:

Heathfinn and Rev Rhythm like this.
  15. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

So far it seems most of you are just listing bands you don't like and not one's that are overrated.
    I would take overrated to be not deserving of GOAT status and not just successful.
    The definition is "have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved".
    The beatles, stones, the who, clapton, hendrix, van halen, malmsteen, lou reed and Half Japanese are all deserving of GOAT status, the rest maybe not.

16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Chaotic Dischord.

17. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

I liked many of the songs.
    Mind you, I never had an account.

I was able to listen without having to overcome the feeling it was forced on me. I fully understand anyone who hates U2 before or after this.

18. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Ever been to an eatery & they bring you a menu that's 8 or 9 pages long? I am feeling the same selection overload trying to even think of where to begin with a reply to this post. Commercial success & good music are seldom found together, imo.

scrimmer and backporchmusic like this.
  19. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Was this the Slow Train tour?

I saw him on the one that was documented Live At Budokan which horrible! Lounge singer act! I was a huge Dylan fan and that destroyed me he could be so bad.

Then on a whim I went to the Slow Train tour. Bought a ticket at the gate 10 minutes before show time and got like 3rd row almost center!

The show was one of the best I've ever seen/heard. Jim Keltner was one of the drummers for sure. I don't recall if two.....

Seen a couple times since and not the same magic by any means.

Impossible to over rate Dylan though! Guy Clark may invoke more of the straight ahead American experience in song but Dylan ranks with classic poets of human history and demands a vast knowledge of music and poetry and literature and drama to "get it". That can be a head ache some times...
    I can't even think who would be #2 song writer... Townes... Willie... It's quite a chasm between Dylan and the rest of the pack IMO....

Tex

20. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Not bitter, they just got boring real quick, I don’t hate them just don’t really like them. I found most of the songs to not hold up over time. Just my take, I like harder rock, not metal, not pretty, I love the stones, Tom petty, older ZZ Top, Skynyrd, Santana, dire straits, CCR, GnR, and a lot of other stuff too, I’m just way over the Beatles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.