What commercially successful bands do you think are overrated?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, May 6, 2019.

1. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

I really despise any hippy type music from the 60's. I hate it with a passion.

Greg_L likes this.
  2. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

You said Red Hot Chili Peppers thrice...

[​IMG]

3. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

And don't forget U2.

Straydogger and sonicsmitty like this.
  4. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

I like U2.
    I love many of their songs. Most, I'd say.
    I think The Edge is a decent guitar player (not great or spectacular) who is a genius at making the most of his talent.
    Bono is a great front man. (off stage he's a pretentious DBag obsessed with politics)
    Mullen and Clayton are the real backbone, the saving grace and source of cool of the band.

"All I Want Is You" and "Drowning Man" always brings me goosebumps, often a lump in my throat each time.

Are they overrated as a band? Oh, definitely.

Jim622 likes this.
  5. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

new country and led zepelin

Greg_L likes this.
  6. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Did you like that album they forced on anyone with an iTunes account? I played it once, that was enough.

Owenmoney and Jim622 like this.
  7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Kiss all that stupid make up and that gross tongue. UUrrhh!!:twisted:

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  8. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

Oh geez, most (but not all) of the "alternative" bands in the 80's-90's I just hated. This includes, but not limited to:

The Smiths (how can anyone tolerate Morrisey's whining?!)
    The Pixies (if you "don't want to be a musician", then why are you in a band?!)
    Nirvana (don't get me started)
    Soundgarden (I remember Kim Thayil dissing Allen Collins in Guitar World)
    The Melvins (I remember Buzz Osbourne dissing Ritchie Blackmore in Guitar Player)
    Bush (another bunch of whiners)
    Creed (another annoying band)

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  9. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Foo Fighters

Tonetele likes this.
  10. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

That's how much he hates them!

Pointmonger and Straydogger like this.
  11. Floorockous

Floorockous TDPRI Member

Here are MY THOUGHTS on why people think popular bands like the Beatles are overrated.

Most of popular music of the last 50 years bears some form of reference to bands like that, and that makes their music sound generic and standardised to modern ears. When listening to the Beatles today it is easy to put them in the box of all the "old, socks-in-sandals-wearing bands who sound like that" - but in fact, the Beatles are THE REASON all those less inspiring bands sound said way.

It is a lot like reading the thoughts of Socrates; most of it will sound incredibly obvious to us today (in the west at least). But that's because those ideas shaped how we think about a long list of, e.g., moral issues today, and not because Socrates stated the obvious. - The guy was literally executed for his radical ideas.

In musical terms, Robert Johnson's "Sweet Home Chicago" was revolutionary when first recorded, as nobody had heard the now quint essential blues "dum-da-dum-da" rhythm played on guitar before. Today that song has been covered by every blues band under the sun for 80 years and often reduced to a poor cliche of what it once was.

SO WHO ARE OVERRATED?
    Every band using the label "Indie" or "Alternative" in the last couple of decades to excuse not practicing their chops.

Bands like The Rolling Stones are NOT overrated, what they did in the 60s was both creative and worthy of the praise. It's just that they have become a museum piece by now, like the pyramids people will pay to see them even if they are not in the shape they once were. (IMHO of course)

Straydogger and Owenmoney like this.
  12. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

IMO The Beatles are overrated because people claim to like them simply because they think they're supposed to. That's all. Same with Led Zep, same with Hendrix, same with the Stones...not many people will just come out and diss those names because they fear the backlash and/or the dent in their "credibility".

13. markjames

markjames Tele-Meister

I always thought Oasis to be vastly overrated..... Especially with Liam singing!
    Very predestrian / generic music..... In My Humble Opinion !

Tonetele, Rev Rhythm and radiocaster like this.
  14. FloInPA

FloInPA TDPRI Member

Coldplay. I just don't get what the big deal is, it sounds like elevator music to me.

15. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Meister

It's great to blow out a bit of hate now and then, so I'll join in.
    Anyone playing prog-rock but particularly Yes and Rush. Also Kiss, just because.

16. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I never thought they were all that, either. Enjoyable, though. I really liked a few of their songs and guitar tones, etc.. Never bought an album, though. And the majority of songs that got constant airplay were not the ones I liked. Anyhoo...

Recently I watched on Oasis documentary. The drama was as real as it was legendary. But honestly? I think after Nirvana, the UK was just desperate for a new home-town hero. There were tons of other UK bands in the late 80s and early 90s that were far better. Maybe something about their unapologetic attitude about everything they did hit a British nerve. I don't know. Just sayin'.

markjames likes this.
  17. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I buy the clever, catchy, well crafted part, it’s the bubblegum lyrics and yeah played to death part I can’t go for. Their heavier songs I like, come together, get back, a day in the life, while my guitar gently weeps are fine, I’ll even go for rocky raccoon . But the yellow submarine and that crap, and the overly innocent I wanna hold your hand stuff from a bunch of guys constantly getting over the clap from their European touring days, let’s face it hand holding wasn’t what they wanted, and neither did any of us !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Jason who ?

19. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I like some allman bros songs up till the part where you forget what they’re even playing and a half hour later they play the main riff and you go “oh so that’s what they were playing “. Musical masturbation is why so much rock music went away with new wave and alternative and punk. Long guitar solos appeal pretty much only to guitar players and maybe stoners !
    That’s why I get annoyed with all the mick Taylor threads. Yeah he’s a great guitar player, but the majority of people want to hear songs. Especially women. That’s why journey was big.

20. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

One could get the impression you don’t like the RHCP and U2

drlucky likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.