1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What color is this? It's not a trick, I promise!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by guildguy516, Jan 6, 2020.

1. guildguy516

guildguy516 TDPRI Member

This was fun game everyone! As the OP I do NOT have an answer for you, it is not a trick question.

Here is what has been listed (/ is total times the color was mentioned):

Grey - can't be grey because grey is "not a color" :D

Inca Silver - // Next to my Inca Silver Strat, the Tele was a 'cooler' silver whereas the Strat was a 'warmer silver'; however, this one does come really close!

Gun Metal Grey - / I believe this is too dark, even in good lighting.

Ice Blue Metallic - ////// I definitely see what all of you are getting at here, again, it's very close. Even the least blue IBM still looks more blue and less grey. This is very close though!

Mystic Seafoam - / Too seafoamy

Agave - ////// This color is almost more versatile than that of the original post. In some photos I think "THIS IS IT!" in others it looks nothing like the base sample, too blue!

Lake Placid Blue - // Too blue, even when photographed on the lighter side

Blizzard Pearl - // A very nice color, I think it is missing the 'blue' quality, it never photographs as rich as the base sample

Sonic Grey - / Good suggestion; however, it looks too 'flat' - like lacking the metallic quality of the base sample

Luke Blue - / Wow! I would say that's about as close as you could get! Both in direct light and indirect light it is nearly exact...at least on a computer screen...amazing how closely it resembles IBM

Pewter - / This is an absolutely gorgeous color, however, even in direct light it looks too dark to match the base sample.

Mystic Ice Blue - / Another beautiful color, and I have to say that it is very close. I feel like the tint is hair bluer than the base, not as blue as IBM

I did a little of my own research and saw Slick Silver on the Fender website and it looks to be just about the closest thing to the base. In both direct light and indirect light, to me it appears to match.

What do you all think of Slick Silver as being a match?

2. guildguy516

guildguy516 TDPRI Member

If anyone in this thread would like to hear the conclusion:

I believe this color has been positively identified as Firemist Silver Metallic which first appeared in 1964 and offered (making very few appearances) through the end of the 60's. This information was given to me by a Fender employee who consulted co-workers using the pictures provided.

This color was a GM/Cadillac debuting in 1964, Dupont color code is 4576-L.

Telecentric likes this.
  3. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

4. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

It's whogivesadamnpewter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.